Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: BARRA ... Run & Gun Vs Concentrated effort

Re: BARRA ... Run & Gun Vs Concentrated effort

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    I have a question? You know how when we round a corner or fish a stretch of sticks and you get this huge gut feeling and cast into them and you get wacked why is that? You could go back to that spot a day later and not have it why?... The Monduran DVD has the answer....
    Yeah all true but I am talking about the gut feeling the fishy smell before you hit a spot.... even a novice can get that I just wonder why, even when I fished 500 miles off shore we would go to the Marion or the jelly bean (sea mounts or reef) we would get ready to shoot the line and most of us just new we would do well...

Without whats happerning with the water atc why do we get that feeling?

Goes back to our basic instinct I reckon, Nath.....

I agree with both Brian's 'fishy smell' concept and the 'gut feel' concept.

Often when we are sounding out some new territory to fish Kyle will say "Hey Dad, I want to try this area for a while" even though there is nothing on the sounder and no bait or bird activity. About 4 times out of 5 something happens, not necessarily a barra, but something.....

Similarly we will pull up to one of our favourite spots and he will look around and say "Doesn't feel right today, Dad". I will persist and, of course, we strike out!

He is truly the chosen one........

Hi Brian i bet you are counting the days down till the Mondy trip?

The fishy smell has been mentioned by jm a few times. Barra spews etc.
    Or when a boney has been smashed etc. Nice work taking note of this as many miss such a basic smell. Everytime i detect this oily smell i think " Ahh a barra has been feeding". I use it as a positive, hoping there will be others active as well.

Hi Nathan have you got the camp oven ready for the Mondy Trip?

The intuition/gut feel thought pattern has also been covered on here a few times by jm. There is a current thread on sweetwater about this topic called Visions After Dark by Dick Pasfield who writes great thinking threads.

Here is the link for anyone else interested in more than lures...

http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/...ic,2697.0.html

Hi Chris i just missed your Trolling thread before it was closed and i've lost 2 replies on this thread as well, damn computer logging me off. I'll try and post it again.

Cheers Lyndon.

yep, countin em down mate, work is painfull to the extreme at the moment, next year Im re-arranging my holidays a bit better!
    Re the smell, its good to know Im not having some kind of flashback experience or anything.
    It works the opposite as well, like the boys have allready said, and particularly in the rust water, some times you can look at it and just know your wasting your time, at least with a barra, theres a chance you might annoy a fish into a response.

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    yep, countin em down mate, work is painfull to the extreme at the moment, next year Im re-arranging my holidays a bit better!
    Re the smell, its good to know Im not having some kind of flashback experience or anything.
    It works the opposite as well, like the boys have allready said, and particularly in the rust water, some times you can look at it and just know your wasting your time, at least with a barra, theres a chance you might annoy a fish into a response.
    my countdown near done brian, all packed in the esky x 2 ..re : the smell, hope they smell better than me at the mo, will keep my eyes and nose peeled and hopefully put some juice on the tupperwere, if not havin fun trien..
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

safe trip to you as well deano, hope ya smack em. Weather looks not to bad. Heres hoping the tupperware gets that noice fishy smell on it this week end mate!

safe trip to you as well deano, hope ya smack em. Weather looks not to bad. Heres hoping the tupperware gets that noice fishy smell on it this week end mate!
    cheers brian, weather yea does look ok, been s/e for a while now, might even find me a current. or two... ..
    deano..
    i will never die.

Leave the fruit cake in the esky mate, eating wastes valuable casting time, fluid replenishment is vital, everything else is secondary.

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Brian....the bony barra n bony whisperer....

hah, I wish mate. Wouldnt mind having the technique old mate the filly whisperer has on the beer add though....

Leave the fruit cake in the esky mate, eating wastes valuable casting time, fluid replenishment is vital, everything else is secondary.
    luv it.. ..gotta steer so go a tad easy, make up for it at camp..just thought bout that, no wonder i enjoyed deckie life so much.
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    luv it.. ..gotta steer so go a tad easy, make up for it at camp..just thought bout that, no wonder i enjoyed deckie life so much.
    Ahhh the professional deckie turns skipper hey ? ....... Yeh you need to be responsible ( but nothing wrong with a 6 pack to celebrate a good fish )

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

So anyway ...... looking through the results over the last 12 months , I can see why I've gone down the path of Concentrating my efforts - The best part of 90% of the boats captures were achieved either on anchor / tied off or using the leccy to hold in an area ........... Surprising though when considering that more than half the time was spent running & Gunning.
    Most sessions included multiple fish....... or at least multiple strikes
    Why was the stay & play approach so successful ? ....... Is it because once you've found what you are looking for (bait , compressed water movement , topography ..... or just held up fish) ........ Sooner or later a fish has to come by - Transient fish - ---- IMO These Transient fish are the ones that are likely to be the actively feeding ones...... or looking to feed.
    So on the back of a malfunctioning leccy back in March in pretty horrible conditions ...... out of necessity we had to anchor! coupled with some sound advice of Dr Awoonga (Trev) - All was not lost , sort of like loosing one of your senses & developing another. .. - For me it was a revelation - & is now the go to tactic ........
    The leccy is one of our most important assets on our boats ........ but in some ways does it hinder us from improving our results - The ease of gliding from one location to the next under possibly a misguided belief that we are using stealth is too compelling ......... But at what cost ?
    I certainly feel that ..... letting an area settle & concentrating your casting over a period of time - does bring positive results , specially if you have faith in your chosen area...... It may take an hour or so - but a little patience may just be worth it
    Now ..... I'm not saying that the run & gun approach is wrong .... Far from it! - but just maybe we use it too much .....

Just my opinion

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO