Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: so i've got a gps mark... i motor out to it and then what?

Re: so i've got a gps mark... i motor out to it and then what?

anyone now where to get livies off glady? just at the same place on the reef i'm fishing or just find bait on the sounder and drop jigs down?

Reel, you always anchor up or you mix it up with a few drifts? Alot of guys have success with the plastics and deadsticking one letting the boats motion do the work. Like the guys say mix it up keep it interesting and have fun!

Jig around any of those wreck marks I PMd you on your way out or any of the marker buoys on the way out to the fairway buoy should hold bait fish. Try cranking a few chrommies around the buoys for mackeral while your there.
    When you drift over the wrecks they are alive with bait fish.
    if your not seeing that you may need to get a better sounder
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

hi reel,
    getting to a mark is pretty easy these days, knowing what is down there and how the particular spot works is the battle
    i would be expending my energies in becomming comfortable with using your sounder and understanding what it is telling you
    how is it set up and what is it showing you? what do different schools of fish look like on your sounder
    have a good look around the marks, there is often structure nearby they will hold on if they aren't on the mark
    does your sounder work at speed? if so keep an eye for any bumps holding fish while your travelling- turn back and have a good look at them- these will be better than any mark you are given
    hope this helps
    cheers
    dazza

mango mick, i'm heading out in the morning, i'll try some new tactics everyone has helped me with.

Dazza, it wasn't really about how to get to the mark just what techniques different people use when they get too the mark. bait on my sounder come up as patches, fish come up as very blocky semi arch marks, it is a furuno fcv600, i'm getting a new one but, i've looked at the fcv620, the new version of my old one, its Hi def but still looks blocky when compared to a lowrance 515c, i like the look of the specs for the furuno 585, but the price tag is close to 3k, i need to talk with people who have had exposure to the 585 to see what its like.

hi reel,
    guess what i was trying to say was spend alot of time sounding around. i usually run east west then north south, this should give you an indication of where the fish are hanging, then a couple of drifts to get my line, distances etc and anchors away
    i am running a 585 with a 1kw through hull, had it a couple of years now, upgaded from an old x75 lowerance.
    big step going from an old monochrome to colour- at times i wish i still had the old lowerance, but i am gaining in confidence with what the 585 is telling me and have pretty well got it sorted.
    they are a good sounder with heaps of features.
    heaps of very helpful info on old threads
    cheers
    dazza

Quote Originally Posted by reel overtime View Post
    mango mick, i'm heading out in the morning, i'll try some new tactics everyone has helped me with.

I havent seen you post too many photos. Does that mean you did no good or too good
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE