Thread: Fed Up Of Catching Bream!!!!!!!!

Fed Up Of Catching Bream!!!!!!!!

Hi, i moved over here 2 Brisbane bak in November, i fish generally in Birkdale and tingalpa creek, ive fished at lota creek and Breaky creek aswell, all i ever seem 2 catch is Bream, ive used small pilchards, prawns, some bizare stuf called fisho! and even bread ( i wanted 2 catch mullet n i herd there easy 2 catch on bread instead i caught 5 bream), so does any1 have any idea's or is it just the look of the draw what u catch?
    I'd love to hook some flathead!

Re: Fed Up Of Catching Bream!!!!!!!!

soft plastics
    10lb fluro leader with 6-8 lb braid

lime tiger 4" minow
    nuke chook 3 - 4"minow
    5" camo worm
    4" Pumkinseed powerbait minow
    3" mango ripple grub or mullet
    (just to name a few)

jigg head 1/4, 1/6, 1/8

worked on the outgoing tide at river mouth around sea grass beds and structure will catch flatty.
    you might even bycatch a bream

also try unweighted bait around those areas might improve your hits.

cheers

Yeah, the mouth of tingalpa creek works well for flatities on sp's, and fisho is a bream's best food

Funny how some people target them on expensive gear, and others are sick of em
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Quote Originally Posted by snagking View Post
    Yeah, the mouth of tingalpa creek works well for flatities on sp's, and fisho is a bream's best food

Funny how some people target them on expensive gear, and others are sick of em

lol I am the opposite, I can catch flatty but wouldn't mind a few nice bream now and then

cheers

I'd rather catch bream than flathead IMO, bream pull harder on lighter line unless the flathead is over 60cm's. Now on topic. Don't fish near the snags as much that's where the bream hang out. Try using that bait you are if you're not into plastics or hardbodies. Cast in deep holes where they are hanging, you can catch other fish in these deep holes aswell such as jew, cod etc. Also poppers are wonderful on flatheads, fish them in 30-1.5metres and pause every 4 metres or so for a lengthy time around 10seconds. Usually they hit them on the pause. Also other great spots for flathead are fast current creeks where there is fast current then slow current because the faster current brings the small baitfish they feed on to them which is what they like more than having to go and swim to get it. Throw you bait into the fast current so that it drifts into the slower current. Drop offs are also brilliant, just do searches on the home page 'Flathead spots' or something similiar.

Tom,
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post
    I'd rather catch bream than flathead IMO, bream pull harder on lighter line unless the flathead is over 60cm's. Now on topic. Don't fish near the snags as much that's where the bream hang out. Try using that bait you are if you're not into plastics or hardbodies. Cast in deep holes where they are hanging, you can catch other fish in these deep holes aswell such as jew, cod etc. Also poppers are wonderful on flatheads, fish them in 30-1.5metres and pause every 4 metres or so for a lengthy time around 10seconds. Usually they hit them on the pause. Also other great spots for flathead are fast current creeks where there is fast current then slow current because the faster current brings the small baitfish they feed on to them which is what they like more than having to go and swim to get it. Throw you bait into the fast current so that it drifts into the slower current. Drop offs are also brilliant, just do searches on the home page 'Flathead spots' or something similiar.

Tom,
    Good luck
    mate last time i unfortunately! caught a 25cm bream it was the weakest fight of my life.

Hehe what gear were you using? I use 2lb and they pull hard into the snags where I am fishing at the moment.

Tom

magic spot we have tom...

If you really want to get rid of the bream, use BIG lures that way you'll catch flatties and any bream you get will be monsters
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

tailorboi99
    have you ever tried catching flathead on 2lb, or do you only target poor little bream
    if you can catch a bream that fights harder than a 40 or 50cm flathead on light line then you have just caught one huge bream

Pretzil it's because we fish snaggy area that they pull harder as they try get me into the snags when the flathead will just run with the odd one going for structure. I target bream alot more than flathead though.

Tom

Gulp 2inch green banana prawn, lota creek, slow retrieve. You will get flathead. I do. And the odd bream as well