Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: getting caught under sized fish..outcome

Re: getting caught under sized fish..outcome

ahh this thread reminds of that show on TV, NZ Fisheries patrol or Waterpolice or sumthin like that.....anyways was funny how the bros just play it dumb, ahh whatz thit bro? underseez fush? shet hey didn even know thet bro.
    Was even better when the officers trying to give them a ticket and he asks one of them where he lives and he looks at his mate and replies along the lines of ' ahh just down the road from that fella bro' and the other ones, 'ahh yeah I just live up the road from him bro' lol was classic...
    .......Ash

Quote Originally Posted by ashh View Post
    ahh this thread reminds of that show on TV, NZ Fisheries patrol or Waterpolice or sumthin like that.....anyways was funny how the bros just play it dumb, ahh whatz thit bro? underseez fush? shet hey didn even know thet bro.
    Was even better when the officers trying to give them a ticket and he asks one of them where he lives and he looks at his mate and replies along the lines of ' ahh just down the road from that fella bro' and the other ones, 'ahh yeah I just live up the road from him bro' lol was classic...
    One of my favourite shows, numbnuts everywhere (well not really, the show is a condensed version of events) and not just from the cold water while diving for kapookie or whatever they call whichever animal.

cheers fnq

Those kiwi law inforcement shows are always a larf.

Eh bro, unregistered eh, n no licence, an me bro in the car tell me you are wonted on outstanding warants.....ooo bro, not good.
    Eh stand over ere while we have a look in d' car.... wots in this little bag.....oo bro not good.....I think you betta come for a drive...you should stayed 'ome bro'.

And on the water shows
    The fisheries inspector is always sus ov the blokes will all the undersized fish.

The best one was when a bloke was caught with a stolen boat on someone elses stolen trailer with yet someone elses stolen outboard..... clever eh bro.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

After some sillyness I add some thing interesting.

Section 12 of the fisheries act

When the act does not apply.

(a) the unintentional taking of regulated fish or marine plants if the fish or plants are not intentionaly or recklessly injured or damaged and are immediately put back; or

(b) the unitentional possession of regulated fish or marine plants by a person if the fish or marine plants are not intentionaly or wrecklessly injured or damaged and the person can not, because of circumstances beyond the persons control, put the fish or plants back immediately they come into the persons psssession; or

(c) the use of a hand net to lift from the water fish taken by other fisnhing aparatus; or

(d) the use of gaf to secure fish taken by other fishing aparatus.

cheers

My trawl of the regs continues.

chek out section197

Taking fish using fishing apparatus summarised

applies to fish taken unintentionaly or you do not intend to keep.

must immediately release into deep enough water

not allow the part of aparatus containing the fish to be out of the water othere than to immediately remove the fish from the aparatus

unless you have reasonable excuse

Here is an interesting one

section199

you cant take a coral reef fin fish otherthan with a line or spear.... so if you get one in your crab pot you have to let it go ......hmmm

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by watta View Post
    To clear up one little matter mentioned earlier. The Estuary cod is NOT a Coral Reef Fish....it is listed under 'other tidal species' and carries a size limit of 35cm to 120cm with a bag limit of 10.

Shane
    the reference to estuary cod being classed as coral reef fin fish is after the new changes come into force in March. I think the point was that the changes are coming on so thick and fast with very little notification that the average Joe who just goes fishing occaisionally with his kids wouldnt even consider an estuary cod he just caught in a creek could be considered a coral reef fin fish nor would he be aware that they have closed seasons for coral reef fin fish north of Bundaberg .
    Maybe they should change the name from Estuary cod to Coral reef fin fish cod.
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    We seem to be getting of the point.

I’ll try explaining it this way.
    Your sitting on the edge of the sand and u catch a fish,the fish is placed in a bucket full of water and the fish is in that bucket for 5 minutes.
    Fisheries come along and ask you have you caught something and you say yes it’s in the bucket.
    He says it’s under sized so you pick it up with the tail flapping and infront of the fisheries guy you put it in the water infront of him and it swims away.Any penalty..

Down to the nitty gritty,do you know the exact answer for this test case.
    The Fisheries would have to have measured the fish on a certified measuring board before they could fine you for having undersized fish in your possession. If your fish was slightly undersized and you released it unharmed before it was properly measured, a verbal warning would be the most likely outcome.

BF