Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: getting caught under sized fish..outcome

Re: getting caught under sized fish..outcome

G'day!

I would think they would treat the situation as to what would have happened to the fish if they had not come along. So you have gone.

I think they would also tell you to release it. So that you "only released it under their instructions" So you have still gone.

Ray de R

I also think it would depend on the officers at the time .
    I was sitting in the pine river on Wednesday at the motor way bridge close to the sunken bardges , the fisheries came flying through the bridge flatt bickies straight to myself & the misses , asked if we caught any fish , asked to look in the esky , which only had bait in it as we had only caught one bream at that point @ 24.5cms & had spent nearly ten minutes fighting a big fish which evenually broke us off around the prop . They asked if anyone on board had a boat license I said aye me , they never asked to see it they just said have a nice day & off they went . There were at least another six boats around but they never checked any of them they just went up south pine & disappeared . What if I never had a license ?

Oh I read about that case.... it was heard by Judge Judy I believe.....

POSSESSION = DUSTED. If you can't play by the rules, find another sport.

Mick

Like every issue with law enforcement ........ Its how the officer/s is feeling on the day - some people get a warning - others gone! (show attitude & you'll go!)

= Do the right thing & its a pointless discussion

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

A few year back I was camping at johns landing on the noosa river.We had set several pots on the other side of the river using the canoe,the following morning I paddled across to collect them and the first one had on legal buck and several jennies,I placed the pot across the canoe and paddled back across to the little beach on the johns landing side and proceded to release the females and placed the buck in a bucket.While I was doing this fisheries pulled up and advised they had just watched what i had done and my actions were illegal,I explained in my opinion trying to sort them in the canoe could be dangerous,and clearly they had seen me release the females immediatly before placing the male in said bucket.They didnt fine me but did give a warning.I know it is a little different to the question asked but the IN POSESSION rule was stated.I will also add that they were not bad guys and did understand my situation.

Cheers Craig

Yep fined!!!!! the rule is very clear. In possession limits on both size and quantity. Doesn't matter if it/they are alive or not. If you are over your bag limit you will be told to throw them away. The same if it is undersized. Your intentions may be innocent ignorance but usually it is going to cost you.
    As a few have said, you have to be aware of the rules to play this game fairly. No different to driving your car etc.

Shane

Ausfish Bronze Member

Possession also includes the number of fish you have in your freezer at home. If you have say 5 of one kind and 5 is the limit to possess but you have more at home, you're in the wrong. I have heard of some blokes being busted for this but they were well know for their underhanded dealings. The total number in your freezer could go against you, something to also think about. It's not likely to happen but it is possible.

Eagle

I think one of the biggest problems that may come up is for people who travel to new locations and coming across fish they haven’t fished for before and making a mistake.

As some people will do the right thing in their road driving or boat and a fishing day and get caught out unintentional.
    With the saying that ignorance is no excuse it only leaves me thinking their must be some perfect people around.
    Yes lots of poaching goes on around the place but for a guy to get done for one fish who tries to do the right thing most of his life is a bit disappointing.

Almost starts me thinking some of these fish officials couldn’t make it as cops so the revenge starts on an 80 year old pensioner with one undersized fish.You guys said it ..It's the law.
    It’s all down hill from here

A bit like the fisho who posts a pic of a fish (gilled and gutted) and asks for an ID and if it is good eating!!!!!!!

Are there really that many people out there who are deliberately ignorant of the law, or just plain arrogant about their way of doing things.

FFS if you are going to play a sport, (and i include fishing in this), the least you could do is learn the rules. Unless you are one of those people that likes to find ways of cheating, or think that you are above the law.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by catfishkid View Post
    A few year back I was camping at johns landing on the noosa river.We had set several pots on the other side of the river using the canoe,the following morning I paddled across to collect them and the first one had on legal buck and several jennies,I placed the pot across the canoe and paddled back across to the little beach on the johns landing side and proceded to release the females and placed the buck in a bucket.While I was doing this fisheries pulled up and advised they had just watched what i had done and my actions were illegal,I explained in my opinion trying to sort them in the canoe could be dangerous,and clearly they had seen me release the females immediatly before placing the male in said bucket.They didnt fine me but did give a warning.I know it is a little different to the question asked but the IN POSESSION rule was stated.I will also add that they were not bad guys and did understand my situation.

Cheers Craig
    Good to see common sense prevail in your case

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    Possession also includes the number of fish you have in your freezer at home. If you have say 5 of one kind and 5 is the limit to possess but you have more at home, you're in the wrong. I have heard of some blokes being busted for this but they were well know for their underhanded dealings. The total number in your freezer could go against you, something to also think about. It's not likely to happen but it is possible.

Eagle
    You are spot on Eagle ..... & it is an important point often missed / overlooked.

We saw NSW fisheries going through a camp site at Providence Flats (Eucumbene River Snowy Mts) during the period where the river is declared a trout Spawning stream ( very strict size & bag limits of 1 per day over 50cm & 2 in possession) ........ tough rules & clearly enforced!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Eagle

Had an interesting debate at Cardwell over the break. A bloke in the caravan park 2 nights in a row came back to the park with heaps of reef fish which he cleaned and placed the fillets in the large esky full of ice. About 30 per night.

Third day, he was leaving so all of the fillets from about 60 fish were loaded into the boats large esky.

If fisheries pulled him over, he was gone big time. The fish were Jacks and Reds
    and all in the boat at one time and the fillet law also comes into play.

I now have the fisheries number in my mobile phone. He also proceeded to deposit the frames in several of the parks bins.

Chappy.

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    I think one of the biggest problems that may come up is for people who travel to new locations and coming across fish they haven’t fished for before and making a mistake.

As some people will do the right thing in their road driving or boat and a fishing day and get caught out unintentional.
    With the saying that ignorance is no excuse it only leaves me thinking their must be some perfect people around.
    Yes lots of poaching goes on around the place but for a guy to get done for one fish who tries to do the right thing most of his life is a bit disappointing.

Almost starts me thinking some of these fish officials couldn’t make it as cops so the revenge starts on an 80 year old pensioner with one undersized fish.You guys said it ..It's the law.
    It’s all down hill from here
    Its a shame that you think this way Spears ....... either you are doing it for a bite or you just want to be an anarchist.
    Just remember one thing ..... If there were no enforcement officers & regulations - - would we have any fish to catch ........... There are too many people out there that are ignorant of the rules or worst still think that they are above the law.
    I know I'm happy every time I see the authorities doing their job

As for travellers ....... you need to know the regs of the area ( infomation is not that difficult to obtain)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Eagle
    Thanks Eagle, I never knew that.

Spears, Id love to see that lawyer prove that there is a god!

Cheers, Mick.

We haven’t heard from any one who’s gotten ping yet,would have been interesting to the reasons.

Just an example..
    Not many people are aware that just on legal size fish being thrown into an ice slurry will make the fish shrink and make it an illegal catch.

As the older I get to see more and more laws being introduced on so many things in general life.