Thread: Shark fishing in Brisbane River

Shark fishing in Brisbane River

Hi all, i went shark fishing 4 the 1st time yesturday evening at the mouth of Breakfast creek, i was using dead bait soaked in fish oil, also tried a live brim both were double hooked, the reel i was using was a baitrunner reel, started around 5p.m and called it a day at 10p.m, i didnt get one sniff, is there something ive done wrong? The dead bait was just gettin pecked at until i was left with the head n bones!!!
    Is there better spots on the river?
    Was i fishing at the wrong time?
    Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
    Thanks, Jonny

Re: Shark fishing in Brisbane River

Hi Jonny

I cant comment on the area you were fishing, but Perhaps you are not using the right bait. I know that the preferred bait used by vic hislop and the like is stingray.

Greg

try the eels, if you set them up right they can be candy for sharks.

The river is like that, some times you will get smashed to high hell and somtimes you will just feel like your feeding catties or not even losing a bait.

Maybe try live poddy mullet around 15cm (I dont target sharks but I know they like a live poddy).

cheers

After a quick google, some good info out there on shark baiting...
    eg.

http://bluemako.customer.netspace.net.au/stingray.htm

i wouldn't think the river would be producing all that much with the state it is in at the moment, give it a bit more time to recover and your results may improve, I would be inclined to head closer to the mouth - up near the sunken wall, fishermans island etc

i couldn't get over how many sharks there were at the mouth of the river about 6 months ago, we couldn't get anything else but! Even pulled up a big leopard shark that was nearly as big as the tinny we were in (3.85)