Thread: Snapper Plastics

Snapper Plastics

Hi I caught my first snapper afew days ago on bait. I am going to be going out in port phillip bay again next week and while I have my rods out with bait on I am thinking about flicking a soft plastic around while I am waiting.
    What sort of rod would I need and what are good plastics that have been catching snapper lately. Also what size jig head and plastic should I try?
    ps, I will be in about 10 to 15 metres of water

Thankyou Brock

Re: Snapper Plastics

Gulp, Lime tigers & Nuke chickens...
    ..Greg...."Termites pay the bills"..... Trailcraft 475...75 Hp E-Tec

As Juju said the Gulp range are probably the best on the Snappers. But if you get the magazine 'Fishing World' there's a section on targeting them in the Brisbane River with plastics. So you can learn some stuff about Snapper on plastics, they also like the Slam range - Anything with a bit of scent will work basically.

Good luck,
    Cheers Tom

Also Brute, you will need a fairly large jighead around 1/4 to go with the 5" plastics. I have just been looking through the Squidgie's 2009 catalogue and saw some plastics that might work well in your situation they are the following:
    Squidgy Pro Flick Bait - Yakka in 145mm
    Squidgy Pro Flick Bait - Slimey in 145mm

Maybe a bit large

Hey mate,

I saw your post from a few days ago, and gota say well done on that effort. Those were some ripper size snaps for your first ones.

I reccommend first to try the Gulp Jerk Shads in sizes 5" or 7" Like Juju said, Nuclear Chicken or Lime tiger are proven favourites, but the entire range of colours work well. Some others are Satay Chicken, blue pepper neon, watermelon, or if it's overcast or still dark try Camo.

In 10 to 15 metres i'd prob start with 1/6th and move heavier to 1/4 or more if the current is strong. Remember you want to go as light as possible, that still gets the plastic to the bottom.
    Up here in Moreton bay, fishing in 10 metres on a calm day I use a 1/8th. You prob want a hook size of 2/O or 3/0 (If using Nitro. TT's are differnt sizes)

Most guys that fish soft plastics use graphite rods with spinning reels. I'd say you should look for something in the 5-8 kilo or similar range.
    One good value range of rods you could check out is the Wilson LSC range. They retail for $99.00. I have the Snapper Light which is rated for 6-14lb braid, but most fish down your way are a bit bigger then up here, so have a look at the Snapper Medium.
    There are plenty of rods out there designed for fishing for snapper with soft plastics, so have a good look around and choose what you think is best

Goodluck mate, look forward to future reports.