Thread: crossing 1770 bar??????

crossing 1770 bar??????

Hi guys am thinking of heading up to 1770 for the Australia day long weekend and was wondering what the bar crossing is like up there as it will be our first time up there and also first time over a bar . If it is not the best bar to cross is there an alternative???

Cheers

Brenden

Re: crossing 1770 bar??????

Any bars are dangerous crossing, just watch the waves and wind etc.. Be careful mate don't risk it if it's too big a surf.

Tom

G'day Brendan,

The bar can be a bit nasty at times, especially low tide as its rather shallow.
    The best way to tackle it is to head towards bustard head about 250 meters before the tip of the headland,have a look on google earth it shows the channel nice and clearly there is also a boat visible right where you need to change course.
    Stay away from the headland as it gets real messy, at high tide you can pretty much go where you like.
    As for alternatives like I said at high tide you can go where ever you like or directly across from the boat ramp there is a point you can hug the edge of bustard bay until you in good depth as its not real deep at low tide, once again have a look on google earth you will see a definate channel.
    Like all bars read the conditions carefully pick your path and take no risks. I hope this gives you a few clues and I hope you have a good trip

Cheers Mick

I have been up there twice in the last few months. The bar is pretty gentle but with a NE wind & a runout tide you need to be careful, especially if you are in a boat less than 5M. Going out is OK although it is smart to have someone on board who has done some bar work. Possibly hook up with a local & follow them out. But watch the return trip as the sun may be in your eyes in the afternoon. The big cat which runs out to Lady Musgrave is handy to follow in.
    The channel inside the bar is marked with red & green cans but these are not lit so plan a daylight return. VMR Round Hill are on air during daylight hours & are very helpful.
    The alternative is fishing the creek or sitting at a waterfront picnic table with a full esky of XXXX trying to empty the sucker.

ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Hi Brendan
    I have launched there quite a few times.Take a drive up to the headland (past the van park on the beach , up the hill and then left) and take a walk to the lookout. Study the wave and swell action as well as noting tide times. From here you can also see the channells and markers, which will give you a good idea. If you spend some time there you will see boats coming in and going out. Low tide is pretty shallow 0.5-1m and watch the rocks which are close to the headland. On a calm day you could row out, but if it windy and a swell running, take a drive and do your homework. What size is your boat, where are you planning on fishing. Send me a pm.