Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 22sse , 4 mtre swell, would you go out

Re: 22sse , 4 mtre swell, would you go out

Does anyone really take any notice of SEABREEZE'S swell prediction's?????? Have they ever got that right???

Really stick with BOM if you want to look at swell! IMHO.

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Just checked! Seabreeze was predicting 3m of swell today at Mooloolaba the actual swell was well under 2m, Great stuff , very accurate!!!! Seabreeze is a joke , it's only an inshore forecast at best. and should not be trusted! Used together with Bom and the charts it help build a good understanding of whats going on but if you trust it alone , you'll ge caught out like many have before on this site! I'm sure we'll see plenty of " How could seabreeze be so wrong threads" during 2009!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Just checked! Seabreeze was predicting 3m of swell today at Mooloolaba the actual swell was well under 2m, Great stuff , very accurate!!!! Seabreeze is a joke , it's only an inshore forecast at best. and should not be trusted! Used together with Bom and the charts it help build a good understanding of whats going on but if you trust it alone , you'll ge caught out like many have before on this site! I'm sure we'll see plenty of " How could seabreeze be so wrong threads" during 2009!

To true Ian

It's only a guide, you have to look at the whole picture ( BOM, Seabreeze, buoyweather, surf cams, etc to get a real indication of what is happening or going to.

Cheers

Bill

sometimes even the old standby of "looking out the window" can even be employed. I vividly recall a day on the water out off Sydney, and the coast guard put out their weather forecast and status on the hour....as they do.....they said NE winds 5-10 knots, with a southerly change predicted to reach sydney by 4pm. It was midday and we were heading home from the peak in a 35knot southerly gale.....my radio response to them was to suggest they opened the window of the radio room and had a look, which was followed by similar sugestions from quite a number of boats in the area....some of them not so polite. They of course were only relaying what the BOM was telling them. We didnt have seabreeze and all the other websites then (not many people even had a PC), but the fallabilities are still there. The only difference today is that they can accurately tell you what is happening NOW, the predictability of the weather is not that different.

As to your original question.....No bloody way would i be thinking of going out in a 5m boat in those conditions. (we were in a 5.3m CC Reefraider in above conditions and IMHO it was about 10m short of being able to handle them comfortably) the normal 45 min trip home took 3 hours, with the bilge pump on all the way home. We then sat in the boat tied up at the pontoon for 30 mins trying to calm down and stop shaking so we could put it on the trailer.

Greg

Yes Seabreeze is a joke and yes i was one of those that got caught out last year. And yes your mate wanting to go out in 4m swell is a Peanut! But no i wont rely on seabreeze alone again.

I recon Deano in the KC would give it a crack

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Been out in 5, but the prediction was 3. 3 was borderline, and my boat's a 6.85.

This guy in a 5 metre is just putting natural selection to the test. Has he bred yet? Don't want him passing on them dumb genes...

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I have done rescues in 3m 30knots. Not that bad. I certainly would not go fishing in 4m and 20knots, only because its not comfortable. I would have no hesitation in taking a boat out in those conditions, however I dont think it would be that enjoyable.

I'm with you Andy, the boat could do it, but it would be too uncomfortable for me and knock the crew around too much, not to mention the gear as Ian said. There are too many good days to be had to chance a real bad one.

Cheers

Rhys