Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What am I doing wrong? :(

Re: What am I doing wrong? :(

i like the way you think scalem, sounds very very scarily similar to myself, always the one to say one more drift or mix it up in the one spot with plastics and weights in the one area till you hit the jackpot ( usually a snapper). it is a numbers game and the only time your going to catch something is when your line is in the water, i agree with you 100%

Did a bait night tonight so I could chill out a bit and not be so on the hunt.. Picked up my first mangrove jack and a very good fighting estuary cod.. a couple of little moses perch too.

All fish on my new starlo stix squidgy M with 12lb line. The different between glass kmart rods and the starlo graphite is incredible, what an amazing difference. Can't wait to flick some lures with it!

Matt.

Scalems right, you need to concentrate on a few proven lures or SPs and stick to them. Strange noone has offered to take this guy fishing!
    I have been amazed at the response when I have asked how to ramp up on finding worms on one of my recent challenges of how to nail big summer whiting.
    I have been taken out by one very experienced fisho, and this weekend will go again with another proven Ting catcher.
    Incredibly generous guys! I think when you get out with someone very experienced or a guide, it just glues everything together, and especially on where fish are. No use casting endlessly at areas that dont hold fish.

Watching DVDs, TV programs, etc is very decieving, like the recent Slam promo stuff, deceiving and making it look easy until...you check it out, every time, these guys are fishing with absolute gurus and guides of the area, species etc. The latest Fishing DVD is aclassic example, brilliant fishing, but the key is brilliant guides, locals who download years of experince.
    Starlo does it all the time, EG. with Jason Wilhelm at Awoonga Dam.

Mate you will nail them, sounds to me like finding fish is probably your biggest challenge, not so much the type of gear etc.
    Flatzie

Interesting stuff here, I re submit this thread, Chamelion, might help to use a Guide. Ive fished all over for years but in a new field would use a guide every time.

I note a lot of fishos writing about struggling to catch and it seems to me that every way possible should be tried to ramp up. Try hiring a Fishing Guide/Charter!
    Local knowledge and experience is worth its weight in Gold, yet can be bought and enjoyed for far less than serious money.

I have learned flyfishing off local guides while living in UK, river fishing on the Danube in Hungary, fished the lakes of Western Ontario Canada, and many places in Aussie.

I dont hesitate to hire a guide in a new environment.
    Imagine having a brilliant fisho download heaps of local knowledge, finely tuned skills on tackle, presentation and more, in a solid days fishing. You get to learn from decades of experience sometimes , and if youre watching and learning you will seriously ramp up your fishing skills.
    Some people will pour heaps of cash endlessly into gear, boat, fuel, bait etc for many poor catches, yet feel paying a Guide too expensive.

I thoroughly recommend using a local guide and build off that your future fishing in local or new environments.

My son and I went to Awoonga Dam and on our first trip hired a guide, and since then we caught well, in a place which is famous for glum, tired faces at the boat ramp at the end of long days.
    I went with a Guide in NQ some years ago and learned a life time of skill on where and how to get live prawns in that particular system. Always had heaps of fresh bait from then on.
    Im off next weeek with a guide to get serious on soft plastics, havent really cracked them yet, but am sure I will seriously improve.

Tight Lines
    Barraboy7
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "