Thread: Burrum River/8 mile reef/ woodgate artificial??

Cool Burrum River/8 mile reef/ woodgate artificial??

Heading out on the weekend and wondering wether to go fishing in the burrum river, 8 mile reef or the artificial reef in front of wood gate and if theres been anything decent being caught.
    CHEERS BRAD

Re: Burrum River/8 mile reef/ woodgate artificial??

G'day Buddy, If you going out the front, DONT forget your Epirb!!!!
    Good luck with what you decide, and share it all with us.
    Cheers ttone

Hye mate i just got back from burrum heads for about 2 weeks.
    theres a few mackeral around the dropoff.
    theres plenty of jacks in the burrum river, we got about 8 at chrsitmas rangin from 30cm to 50cm, but a bloke oi met up there i helped put his boat on the trailer and he showed me a monster jack hed just caught, would of been at least 70cm.

also theres a few queenis around, shitloads of little cod, a couple fingermark and some big whiting like 30cm plus.
    madkeen_fisherkid
    dikrehdis_neekdam

Quote Originally Posted by ttone View Post
    G'day Buddy, If you going out the front, DONT forget your Epirb!!!!
    Good luck with what you decide, and share it all with us.
    Cheers ttone
    You don't need an Epirb for 8 Mile it is just inside the partially smooth limit,
    But if that is a picture of your boat in the original post I wouldn't take it out there anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by madkeen_fisherkid View Post
    Hye mate i just got back from burrum heads for about 2 weeks.
    theres a few mackeral around the dropoff.
    theres plenty of jacks in the burrum river, we got about 8 at chrsitmas rangin from 30cm to 50cm, but a bloke oi met up there i helped put his boat on the trailer and he showed me a monster jack hed just caught, would of been at least 70cm.

also theres a few queenis around, shitloads of little cod, a couple fingermark and some big whiting like 30cm plus.
    Where did you get the whiting? Nothside near the mouth of the Burrum?

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHunt View Post
    Where did you get the whiting? Nothside near the mouth of the Burrum?
    sexcret spot mate haha naa in the islands, if you know what im talking about
    madkeen_fisherkid
    dikrehdis_neekdam

Im thinking fishing anywhere but up the river this weekend is out.Try up the gregory for Big whiting or above buxton hole on the sand/mud.Specially on these tides

You don't need an Epirb for 8 Mile it is just inside the partially smooth limit,
    But if that is a picture of your boat in the original post I wouldn't take it out there anyway.
    why wouldnt you head to the 8 mile in that boat? weather permiting of course.
    when i first travelled out there, i was in an old 12 ft stacer with an 80 model 15hp jono. done the trip many times. and always had fun!

we'll probably go out to eight mile if the weather is good if not we'll fish around in the river
    CHEERS BRAD

Check out the report on tacleworld hervey bay web site

Quote Originally Posted by lippa View Post
    why wouldnt you head to the 8 mile in that boat? weather permiting of course.
    when i first travelled out there, i was in an old 12 ft stacer with an 80 model 15hp jono. done the trip many times. and always had fun!
    Because I have seen sharks out there bigger than that thing

It doesn't look like it would have positive buoyancy if swamped and the ocean can build up quickly in the western bay. The mouth of the Burrum can also be tricky if there is a swell and the tide is running out.
    Then again I might just be a wuss
    Anyway I'll be up there again Australia day weekend for the Toogoom comp.

Cool Re: Burrum River/8 mile reef/ woodgate artificial??

It doesn't look like it would have positive buoyancy if swamped and the ocean can build up quickly in the western bay. The mouth of the Burrum can also be tricky if there is a swell and the tide is running out.
    not trying to start an argument but sharks bigger than my boat 4.4m+, and what do you mean by it does not look like it has positive bouyancy it has basic flotation which is all that is needed by law.

my boat is a 4.4 sea jay magnum xpack powered 40 suzuki. have had fun in recent weeks around moreton bay. i feel the boat is more than capable.
    CHEERS BRAD

Mate,there are some big tigers out there,biggest iv seen is 12 ft. Your boat i fine,we fished it most weekends and every school hols as teenagers in a 12 ft mantacraft and 6 hp johnson.You just have o be realistic about the conditions. I cant see myself out there this weekend In winter there are a lot of whites in the bay but there are more curious than anything else. They may come nudge the boat but arent interested in a feed.(except whale things.) There have been a lot of trevally of various sorts caught recently at the 8 mile,when weather permits,and late january is the best time of the year imho for pretty big spaniards.
    chewy..

unless ya fallout the boat, ya guna be ok!

i am a very safety safety concious person, and as staed, if weather is permitting the boat is fine.

and now knowing what it actually is, i would head to fraser, (with a back up plan) in that boat!

good luck at the toogoom comp, please post some mor einfo on it.
    cheers

lippa