Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    The Fishing DVDs sure are popular... and yet people are driven mad by the level of advertising in shows like Escape With ET. So what's the difference -- is it just that the stories are better in TF DVDs? Or is it that the sponsors are varied, rather than the same mob over and over?
    Nic .... I think you'll find that most are repeat advertisers on TFDvd .... but reality is that the stories are far better produced .... & informative IMO ....... I also like stories that are in depth rather than a few minutes / add / something else / add / return to story / add / Advertorial / Car story / add ---- give me a break ( sorry just not an ET(hee hee ) fan but really hate the format).
    Besides you can easily skip the (advertorials) in TFDVD

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    - give me a break ( sorry just not an ET(hee hee ) fan but really hate the format).
    Besides you can easily skip the (advertorials) in TFDVD
    Chris
    Haha... I know what you mean, old E heehee T has a singular presenting style. I'm not a massive fan of the show either; last time I tuned in, Giovanna gravely informed viewers that visibility is limited when night diving. Thanks Gio, glad you cleared that up...

I'm looking forward to Hook, Line & Sinker coming back on, that was pretty entertaining. And thank God for set-top boxes -- no more ad breaks!

Heres another question.
    How many of those pockets on the long sleeved shirts do you actually use? Theres more pockets, flaps, velcro etc than I know what to do with

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Heres another question.
    How many of those pockets on the long sleeved shirts do you actually use? Theres more pockets, flaps, velcro etc than I know what to do with
    After my impromptu swim at Awoonga ..... none
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I agree on ET. I watched an episode I'd recorded at the weekend. I ereckon there may have been maybe 25% actual content apart from the ads. I just couldn't watch it. Ifish is a bit better (at least they leave you in no doubt as to why it's on air. Then you have ###### and things like Fishin Trip (Doh!!), River to Reef (not bad sometimes - a bit more "how to" info), another which I cannot recall the name of but is heavily sponsored by Berkley.

These would be OK if you could get a bit more info instead of just chuckin a line in and hauling it out with a fish. Some of them are really cr*p in terms of production values too. I must admit, apart from the bloody annoying commentator, I quite like the AFC series on 10. I still wish they'd have the guys talk more about what they're using. Lures, line, reels, rods etc. You occasionally get Tim Morgan or Harry Watson (well, Harry talks Jack-all the time) telling you what lures - but I'd like to hear more about line, reels and rods - they are really working their gear and it would be interesting - sponsor's products or not!

Apart from that the best value for me from a learning point of view is to buy the Breamin' or AFC Outdoors DVDs and really study them - slo-mo, rewinds, still frames etc until I pick up rods, reels, lures etc. AND - no ads!!- or very few anyway.

Cheers

Thats a god point Grumpah, I would also like to hear a bit more from the AFC boys as to the why, what and where of it all, as long as I wasnt force fed their sponsered product!

The one big thing you can take out of the AFC is - Whatever they use ..... It is because it works ......... sure Harry is a Jackall man - regardless of sponsorship ........ They all use em
    Megabass Sumatra , Luckycraft Sammys ...... & not a Smillin Jack or Kokoda to be seen

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have to agree with you Chris, with the sort of money and pride that's on the line in those tournaments, the guys wouldn't be using them if they weren't pretty damn good. Not only that, if you watch it carefully and often enough, you hear the same things repeated a lot. It's not just Harry Watson chucking Jackalls - and as you say - you never hear some of the more prominent brand names in the "three letter name retailer's" range.

I'm biding my time as I wait for my boat so research is big on my agenda right now. I'd like to be able to afford to have just one or two of each of the "right" lures, plastics, line class etc when I eventually get the Mako in the water and start practising the art of fishing.

Cheers,

Graeme C.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpah View Post
    I have to agree with you Chris, with the sort of money and pride that's on the line in those tournaments, the guys wouldn't be using them if they weren't pretty damn good. Not only that, if you watch it carefully and often enough, you hear the same things repeated a lot. It's not just Harry Watson chucking Jackalls - and as you say - you never hear some of the more prominent brand names in the "three letter name retailer's" range.

I'm biding my time as I wait for my boat so research is big on my agenda right now. I'd like to be able to afford to have just one or two of each of the "right" lures, plastics, line class etc when I eventually get the Mako in the water and start practising the art of fishing.

Cheers,

Graeme C.
    I do love that phrase "the art of fishing"

I first heard it from a good fly fisherman " the art of fly fishing" ......... & yep thats what it is .... An art!
    As for getting a couple of each lure ......... it will never work mate - everyone knows you need a couple of each colour ...... never mind the type & manufacturer !
    While I was on holiday a bloke that I had a chat to showed me his bream lures ( that he takes fishing) ....... would you be shocked if I said $3000 worth (approx) - & he reckons his bass lures would have been at least that again ........The lures were worth nearly as much as his boat ..... fair dinkum!
    .......... It shows how it can build up

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Heres another question.
    LMAO Brian, great question!

I love my Columbia fishing shirts, I wear em all the time. Once I put the sunnies in a pocket and lost them overboard when I bent over.......so the correct answer to your question is the same as Chris's - None, I do not use a single bloody pocket.

Still, ya gotta admit I do look good in them........

As for getting a couple of each lure ......... it will never work mate - everyone knows you need a couple of each colour ...... never mind the type & manufacturer !
    While I was on holiday a bloke that I had a chat to showed me his bream lures ( that he takes fishing) ....... would you be shocked if I said $3000 worth (approx) - & he reckons his bass lures would have been at least that again ........The lures were worth nearly as much as his boat ..... fair dinkum!
    .......... It shows how it can build up
    Hey Chris, mmmmmmoney. Biggest barrier to doing what I want. Barely had enough for the boat so lure collections are going to be very bit by bit - especially as the first Jackall I bought was $25.00. Got rods, Berkley drop shot, Diawa Tierra 6 - 14 lb, and Daiwa Procaster. Also have 24 year old Ugly Stck baitcaster,one with a removeable butt. Also "invested" in Stradic, Tierra, and Symetre reels and a bit of braid & flourocarbon. Oh, and I almost forgot the plastics - now there's a collection. Big W were renovating their Booval store and lots of Gulps were snapped up for very good prices. It's the hard ones I have very few of. Again a couple of rebels that are the same age as the Ugly stick and a couple of small Halco's but as yet - untapped millions to be "invested." I suppose that's a bit like the art of fishing isn't it - the art of investing!!

Cheers,

Graeme C.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpah View Post
    Hey Chris, mmmmmmoney. Biggest barrier to doing what I want. Barely had enough for the boat so lure collections are going to be very bit by bit - especially as the first Jackall I bought was $25.00. Got rods, Berkley drop shot, Diawa Tierra 6 - 14 lb, and Daiwa Procaster. Also have 24 year old Ugly Stck baitcaster,one with a removeable butt. Also "invested" in Stradic, Tierra, and Symetre reels and a bit of braid & flourocarbon. Oh, and I almost forgot the plastics - now there's a collection. Big W were renovating their Booval store and lots of Gulps were snapped up for very good prices. It's the hard ones I have very few of. Again a couple of rebels that are the same age as the Ugly stick and a couple of small Halco's but as yet - untapped millions to be "invested." I suppose that's a bit like the art of fishing isn't it - the art of investing!!

Cheers,

Graeme C.
    It accumulates pretty quick ..... & I know what you are saying !
    I dont have a great bass lure collection but I reckon that might change one I get to Brissy

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I just chip away mate, a crank bait here, spinner bait there, maybe a minnow when I see one, the Tackle Warehouse often has some great little lures in the bargain bin, if you have a look....
    Pete, those bloody pockets have cost me a pair of spotters, and a new digital camera for the cheese and kisses, wont make that mistake again!

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    It accumulates pretty quick ..... & I know what you are saying !
    I dont have a great bass lure collection but I reckon that might change one I get to Brissy

Chris

So Nagg is moving to brisbane..........shouldn't there should be some sort of tax on sydney siders movin up here.....

all they do when they get here is say
    " cor blimey - it's not like at 'ome..."

or maybe that's the pommy backpackers.........well- tax them too!

And put the money into lower import tarriifs on fishing tackle.

win win scenario

JIM

What about blatantly false or misleading advertising??

If anyone has seen an ad or the front cover for the 2 Dans new DVD have a close look at the Dan on the right and how he is holding the Snapper, very bad photoshop and there the average joe is thinking, "Geez these guys have got 2 cracking fish in the boat, they must really know what they r doing.

Bad form I think.

Cheer's Pete.