Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Actually I think Rex Hunt Brain washed me into thinking Shimano are good reels.

I'm never too fussed looking at other reels,then I hear Shimano and my interest takes hold .

cheers

Talking of influences why does the average Joe Blow hold the rod and reel up in a fish pic?

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    Talking of influences why does the average Joe Blow hold the rod and reel up in a fish pic?

Dave
    To show off their gear
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Very interesting topic Chris.

Being sponsored by a few companies I understand the situation from both sides. I am lucky, I have no major obligation to 'preach' as it were, but I do use and do like the products that I have been given the privilege of using and promoting. I have a few mates in the same boat....not with the same mobs, but have the similar obligations.

One thing I can say, is I do honestly use the products, and have had success with them. That success resulted from being asked to test the products on a specific target...ie barra. Those that know me, know what they are, and have seen the results. I have a few friends that are fully sponsored, and they too only use the products they are endorsed by.....very succesfully too. Often their sponsorships arise from being initially invited to test, design and modify products to suit specific target species in Australia. These guys are top fishermen/women who worked hard, well before a camera was put in their face to perfect and promote these products for the shelf.

Some may think being fully sponsored is all cheese and bikkies, however. Just like any sporting elite personality, if they dont perform they get dropped!! there is plenty of pressure for them to produce the goods....thats business, and rightly so. Essentially they are an employee of the company, with that there is repsonsibilities. It is often a hard ask in a tough market.

The biggest problem I see in DVD, TV etc is they make catching fish in any arena look sooooo easy!!!!..............Most of the fisherfolk on here can see through this, and know its not always that easy... BUT its the other 98% of 'dad and dave' anglers out there that watch TV that think its all easy after watching their favorite ex AFL footballer or NRL great catching fish at will.

Most astute anglers here can read between the advertising lines so to speak., and can use the info provided to guide their decision when purchasing a product......but the other 98% of 'dad and dave' fishos do get sucked in by the advertising, AND Thats where they make their coin IMHO.

cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Very interesting topic Chris.

Being sponsored by a few companies I understand the situation from both sides. I am lucky, I have no major obligation to 'preach' as it were, but I do use and do like the products that I have been given the privilege of using and promoting. I have a few mates in the same boat....not with the same mobs, but have the similar obligations.

One thing I can say, is I do honestly use the products, and have had success with them. That success resulted from being asked to test the products on a specific target...ie barra. Those that know me, know what they are, and have seen the results. I have a few friends that are fully sponsored, and they too only use the products they are endorsed by.....very succesfully too. Often their sponsorships arise from being initially invited to test, design and modify products to suit specific target species in Australia. These guys are top fishermen/women who worked hard, well before a camera was put in their face to perfect and promote these products for the shelf.

Some may think being fully sponsored is all cheese and bikkies, however. Just like any sporting elite personality, if they dont perform they get dropped!! there is plenty of pressure for them to produce the goods....thats business, and rightly so. Essentially they are an employee of the company, with that there is repsonsibilities. It is often a hard ask in a tough market.

The biggest problem I see in DVD, TV etc is they make catching fish in any arena look sooooo easy!!!!..............Most of the fisherfolk on here can see through this, and know its not always that easy... BUT its the other 98% of 'dad and dave' anglers out there that watch TV that think its all easy after watching their favorite ex AFL footballer or NRL great catching fish at will.

Most astute anglers here can read between the advertising lines so to speak., and can use the info provided to guide their decision when purchasing a product......but the other 98% of 'dad and dave' fishos do get sucked in by the advertising, AND Thats where they make their coin IMHO.

cheers Steve
    Hey Steve

Firstly as I mentioned a few posts back ..... you are one of the guys on here that are sponsored ..... & it comes because of your species knowledge & cred rather than media presence. (though I hear that may change after the JM dvd ) .
    When you talk of astute anglers ........ you might be surprised just how low a percentage that really is -- You hear the 90 / 10 rule 10% of the anglers catch 90% of the fish ........... People who join sites like this are usually the top 10 per centers or they aspire to be ...... there is a thirst for knowledge
    Now that leaves a big slice of the fishing public that can be fleeced & are easily impressed by former sport stars who fish

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well put steve B and Nagg..
    With responses like that it is easy to see why the cream rises to the top.

For me fishing credibility is earn't from catching fish. I have the most respect for blokes on this forum who are out there doing it for real and catching fish on there own steam. Alot of fishing shows and glossy mags are all about some fishing personality hopping on a chartered operation and going and getting stuck into some good fish. I have more respect for the charter operator than the personallity. Shows like the AFC are definately a massive advertising scheme, but that doesn't mean that the blokes who are on the show fishing can't be taken seriously. When I watch the show and see what there using and think to myself "hey i use that lure too" or "yeh i've caught fish from that bay" gives me the impression that the guys know what they're on about and given the competitive nature of the show wouldn't be using gear that they didn't have confidence in.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    For me fishing credibility is earn't from catching fish. I have the most respect for blokes on this forum who are out there doing it for real and catching fish on there own steam. Alot of fishing shows and glossy mags are all about some fishing personality hopping on a chartered operation and going and getting stuck into some good fish. I have more respect for the charter operator than the personallity. Shows like the AFC are definately a massive advertising scheme, but that doesn't mean that the blokes who are on the show fishing can't be taken seriously. When I watch the show and see what there using and think to myself "hey i use that lure too" or "yeh i've caught fish from that bay" gives me the impression that the guys know what they're on about and given the competitive nature of the show wouldn't be using gear that they didn't have confidence in.
    Jeremy ..... Spot on
    The guys who are fishing the AFC are at the top of the tree & while they are sponsored - they use gear that works for them....... They have to- otherwise its bye bye....... Nice gear & even better when you dont have to dig into your own pockets
    Like you mentioned ....... writers / personalities that jump on a charter - catch fish , write it up with their sponsors product all over the photo (even though they may have used something else at the time) ...... ......... Many of these guys only gain sponsorship because of their exposure .......... & I reckon just about anyone can jump on a charter ( good guide / destination) .... & catch fish

Chris

PS ....... I really hate seeing these journalists / personalities promoting their sponsors product under the guise of a legitimate story ....... singing the praises - even though its a piece of crap
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Dave there's a special talent holding your rod in ya mouth, its generally used when people have to hold there fish out arms length to make it look bigger.
    Sponsors ??? are they people that give you something for free, then want their product more prominent in the picture then what you've caught.
    Maybe we should hit up Mr Ausfish for all the stickers on the boats these days, or the hats i see many wearing.
    regrds

Good point Webby although I did read an article once about having something in the picture frame to give perspective, it used to be a beer stubbie or a packet of Winnie blues but I guess that's not politically correct these days.
    Perhaps Mr Ausfish could offer a cap to all when they become Platinum members or after a certain amount of posts or thanks received , after all there are a few on here that keep the posts and threads ticking over for us all to enjoy.

Thoughts ???

Cheer's Pete.

Hi Chris,
    Intresting thread,With some intresting responses.

I believe we are all influenced by media in one way or another,Be it T.V.,Mags,Or web sites.

I like to think I do the research on things and purchase items on my own judgment.

Reel schematics that come with reels are very informing,For those with a little engineering knowledge.Alot can be learned from this sheet of paper before even puttin a reel into action.

I also like to talk to anglers that are not sponsored.Fishos like me that buy stuff and try it out,And give non biased,Honest opinions.This info genarally comes from a small circle of people you know first hand.

The vast majority of sponsored anglers have to endorse,And use,Products that thier sponsor manufacturers.This is part of the arrangement,And part of being a sponsored angler.

Sure it would be nice to get ya stuff for free,But if it isn't the stuff you wanna use,And you wouldn't confidently recommend to others,Is taking the sponsorship offer the right thing to do?

For instance,(It will never happen) If I was offered a sponsorship
    by Shimano.I would gracefully decline.As I personally believe that Daiwa make products that are superior.Products I am familiar with,And confident in fishing.Above all a product I have chosen on my own,With my own hard earned money before this (Hypothetical situation) came round.To me taking the offer from Shimano would be selling out myself,And my judgement,For free stuff.

Then again if Daiwa said they would supply me with reels,On the condition I had to use only their rods,I would again decline,As I just won't leave home without my Destroyers.

These are rods I chose to purchase after endless hours of my own reserch,While having every manufacturer in the world at my dissposal to chose from,And not being bound by a dollar limit.

Without these things,I just wouldn't feel at home on the water.And no ammount of free stuff would change my mind.I am content with the stuff I have,Which intern,Magnifys my enjoyment when fishing.And for me that's what it's all about.....Fishing,Not fame.

For me,It's still raw.....It's still about the hunt,Man VS fish.It's about relaxing times in pristine enviroments with good m8's.

DVD's,Upgrading ya two fish limit,Four page spreads,A heap of free kit,And ya face on a cereal box.This is now a part of fishing,Like it or not.Good luck to those who aspire to this status.Just be true to yourself,And keep your love of fishing at your core.

Cheers. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Hi b8

Thanks for your response ....... undoubtedly you are an anglophile who knows his gear ....... no one goes out willy nilly & buys Megabass rods - & good on you if you can
    I guess that these responses are not really aimed at tournament anglers ..... maybe the personality that sees fit to enter an event here & there.

Yeh OK some TV types get up my nose ........ but the worst ones are the newer wave of blowins that are more focused in the print media ( there are some older ones too) ....... Now ... I like Loomis - I own several ....... but there are a couple of writers that take it to the limit . .. > Loomis this & that - every shot includes a loomis rod - be it a little dropshot for bream through to a 14 wt SW Fly rod & i bet my bottom $ that these rods were not paid for from their hard earned ........... Sure its good gear ...... but in some areas there is a lot to be desired > but you never hear that!!!!!!!! .........

Honestly ...... I'd like to see a disclosure at the end of each article (Cash for comment ... so to speak!)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Chris,
    I am currently out of touch with the fishing media compared to what I used to be.I used to get lots a mags and rags and read them in my lunch hour at work.But now my buget has been slashed by my new baby girl ,And it is now strictly tackle only .My extent of media exposure these days is the web.

I am curious as to who these people you mention are???Or is it taboo to mention names here?

From my past readings,I gather one of the Loomis sponsored anglers snappin all the shots with the rods in them,Has to be Mr Steptoe???

The personality who chooses to enter events here and there???

The newer wave of blowins???

Intrested to read your thoughts.Don't be shy.

Cheers. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

well you goatta pay the bills
    and if the man pays the bills by fishing then im not about'
    to stand in his way.

cheers

Strucktcha you hit it on the head. ...

For a lot of these guys it becomes a way of life.

They fish, get supported to do it, write about it, appear on tv or dvd’s maybe run there own guiding business.

Either way it becomes a way of life and it all ties in together. If a presenter or writer gets up your nose due to his or her approach then you have the power not to support the product they endorse.

Yep some people go over the top but that only demonstrates that as good as they are at fishing they lack marketing and more importantly sales skills. Some people rattle on like the proverbial pushy used *** salesman. (no offence to used *** salesman)

If the sponsored guy sounds like a pushy salesman treat him or her accordingly and vote with your feet.

Jim