Thread: Upgrading stick baits

Upgrading stick baits

I have some 100mm Stick baits i wish to upgrade the trebles on for Barra. Problem is with upgraded hooks well it wont sit in the water correctly (almost sinks!!) hence has almost no action....
    Normally i wouldn't bother spending to much time on a lure problem such as this and simply buy another product that will do that job. Thing is these lures have a brillant action and look great on the water!!
    Supplied hooks are fine for Jacks and Trevs for the most part but are way to soft for Barra...

I was thinking about trying something along the lines of the Lucanus jig hooks. Attaching the supplied split ring with the assist hooks to the front spilt on the lure. Opening the split where the middle treble would sit and threading the 80lb rope thru here to stop it twisint back on the cast and catching the leader all the time..
    Anyone see any major problems here?

Other than that i am open to other suggestions of upgrade options or a similar lure that is upgradable?

Re: Upgrading stick baits

I'm no professional (obviously) but would some larger single hooks do the job?

Single hooks will help you in weight and holding ability, the 'Assist', Jig/Lucanus style or split ring straight to the lure or with a swivel. Joining two singles together on the lure belly has been very popular over the last year for Poppers and Stickbaits, it has been named the 'Baker Rig'.
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Some Pics of single hook rigging
    Limit your Catch - Don't Catch your Limit

Hi Archer,
    I recommend you take the time to find a nice balance with your chosen b8.Experiment with different sized 6X trebel hooks,And heavy duty rings untill you get that sweet balance where you have a nice walk,And Barra capeable hardware.

I suggest you stay with trebels when targeting Barra (Especially larger fish) due to the style of feeding they use when hunting up top....Implosion.

Smaller fish (Barra) will actually bite the lure.Hit it and turn,Like a Bass,Jack,Or Sooty.

The bigger models feed off the surface by sucking in a bucket full of water from beneath,or behind the b8.They rely on their awsome power to suck the water and the b8 into their mouths,And expend the water out through the gill plates to have the b8 get trapped in their rakers,All at lightning speed.

I recently had fish imploding and turning slightly after,All in what appeared to be one smooth motion.It was awsome to watch this happen from the casting deck,And an enlightening insight to observe at close quarters.

The fact that there was a slight delay between the vacume of water and the turning of the head meant that the hookup rate on very large fish was pretty poor.This is why I suggest you stay with trebels when fishing Barra.Every hook helps.

I don't strike when I get hit,As it only pulls the b8 away from the fish if it dosen't connect initially.I choose to let the lure get pulled away from me (Get weight through the rod) before I set hooks.It takes a little getting use to (Not striking on contact) but my success has greatly benifited from letting the fish take the lure.

It can also be a little confusing,As they will sometimes eat it and swim toward you,Or sideways.With water being thrown everywhere off the strike,It can be hard to locate your b8 in all the destruction,And before you know it shes 5 meters to the right before you get any actaul weight.

I was also using a very soft tipped (Bass) rod hopeing that this would also help.I was thinking that the force of the feeding style may actually load this rod a little,And help my b8 move toward the fishes mouth that extra few mill.

I believe it is getting down to a matter of milliseconds that will result in either jaw dropping heartbreak ,Or a rampaging tailwalk .

I recently read in another post you are proficient in surface fishing,And have knowledge on leader materials,So I won't bother going to deep here.I have been thinking that in conjunction with the tiny time frame that it all happens,Maybe a fluro leader will be sucked in easyier,Due to the fact it sinks and mono floats?I'm talkin in milliseconds again here,And thinking anglers will do eveything in their power.

So in short,I recommend finding a balance with terminals using trebels,Not striking,And try soft tipped rods.

Sorry for ramblin on.....Hope this has been of some help.

Regards. B8.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Cheers B8

I did end up playing around abit more and got it working ok with 3x upgrades. Not as strong as i would have liked but better than the standard gear....
    Time will tell if this ends up being ok but its worth a shot none the less!!

Joe

Please let us know how you go Joe.

I've been meaning to try out singles on a few lures for a while now as I know some experienced guys have had a lot of success with them, the added advantage apparently being that with singles there is less for the the Barra to use against you in terms of leverage.

I haven't fished with stickbaits much, I only have a few and one is a one-off Peter Newell lure I won off Alistair in a bet, although I don't think I can even bring myself to use that lure now

I have mucked around with single hook stingers on plastics but haven't tried them on any HB's yet - maybe something I better try next trip!

p.s. I just realised that you were the other madman with Al when the hail hit you guys in the yaks last year - you guys are very lucky you didn't get seriously hurt that day!

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Please let us know how you go Joe.

I've been meaning to try out singles on a few lures for a while now as I know some experienced guys have had a lot of success with them, the added advantage apparently being that with singles there is less for the the Barra to use against you in terms of leverage.

I haven't fished with stickbaits much, I only have a few and one is a one-off Peter Newell lure I won off Alistair in a bet, although I don't think I can even bring myself to use that lure now

I have mucked around with single hook stingers on plastics but haven't tried them on any HB's yet - maybe something I better try next trip!

p.s. I just realised that you were the other madman with Al when the hail hit you guys in the yaks last year - you guys are very lucky you didn't get seriously hurt that day!

Cheers
    Tony
    Hey Tony,

Yea that was me we were VERY lucky indeed. One of those times where you don't think about how dangerous untill well after the event. One of those Hails stones in the head and its lights out!!!

Anyway still playing around here with some singles to see how it goes but im happy enough with the Trebs ive found today. Might not be owners 66's but there better than standard and ill only be fishing them on 20lb spin gear so "should" be ok....Going to be fun testing that theory out either way.

You really should grab those stick baits out and give them a bash. Im amazed at the ammount of fish willing to have a crack at anytime of the day on a good walking lure! Don't know why but fish seem to find it hard to resist hitting them.
    Very under used lure for many diffrent fish types IMO.

Joe