Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Hi All

I just had an interesting conversation about a mates tackle purchase & it inspired me to put up this thread.
    With all the brand placement in Magazines , DVDs & TV programs ...... I wonder how many people are influenced by the product or brand that they see in the media.......... It must be a hell of a lot Specially when -
    We see the likes of Shimano & Evinrude (& others) spending masses of dollars getting fishing media personalities on their books ( how many have converted to BRP product in recent times)

Now while sponsorship is nothing new ............ I feel that these enticements someway detract from the credibility of the so called fishing gurus - How many would actually use a product that they endorse if it was not given to them or they were not paid. ............ Its the Paris Hilton type of thing ( sponsored by Pepsi ..... but photographed drinking Coke )

Anyhow ...... just something to put out there

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Yep i’m influenced you got me....

Just like guys are convinced that a clubsport makes them the next mark skaife....

That the same $2000 golf clubs that tiger uses will shave a dozen strokes off their game.....

Sponsorship though is good for everyone. The consumer- the manufacturer- the retailer -and the guy or girl sponsored.

Of all the forms of advertising i place more faith in sponsorship than say the - e-tec dvd i get on the cover of a magazine. That is pure propaganda.....

Jim
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    Yep i’m influenced you got me....

Just like guys are convinced that a clubsport makes them the next mark skaife....

That the same $2000 golf clubs that tiger uses will shave a dozen strokes off their game.....

Sponsorship though is good for everyone. The consumer- the manufacturer- the retailer -and the guy or girl sponsored.

Of all the forms of advertising i place more faith in sponsorship than say the - e-tec dvd i get on the cover of a magazine. That is pure propaganda.....

Jim
    Speaking of Golf clubs ....... The classic was at one stage - Greg Norman ( Cobra shareholder & sponsored) ....... his clubs were actually McGreggor from memory
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have always been a "whinger" about this type of thing, it would need to be very convincing to get me to buy something because some "guru" used it on TV or in a Magazine, but I am sure that 95% of the Population do run out and buy an XXXX because someone said how great it was, even though it is a blatant add for the product.

xxxx has always been a great drink

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    buy an XXXX because someone said how great it was....
    that's right XXXX is great and i'd happily be sponsored by them... say a carton a week.
    If there are any XXXX reps here Pm me for delivery address

Jim

It actually gets much worse than than getting caught using another product! I know a well known fishing guide fairly well and over the last few years he has had several well known " fishing guru's" fish with him. Now some of these blokes actually start out the day using the sponsors product ( some dont) but when a fish needs to be caught they almost alway follow the guides recomendation and use lure XYZ to get the fish ! Now comes the problem , the fish is boated lure xyz is removed and the sponsor product is PLACED in the correct position for the shot!!!!

When it comes to gear, advertising in all it various forms has little to no effect on my purchases! I listen to anglers i respect ( Not Tv and Mag guru's) and check out the gear personally to form my opinions!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    xxxx has always been a great drink
    For those that know no better

How are ya Foxie ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ya beat me to it foxie....i was just sitting down watching the cricket enjoying a nice cold, refreshing XXXX gold.

Finding time-

I guess there are some forms of advertising that blur the line. Say the rep gives a tackle store employee/manager a rod or reel for cheap or nothing. As token of appreciation for a large order with them.

Now you have a tackle store guy who is (presumably) impressed with a product that he or she didn’t pay retail for. So when they offer their opinion i guess it isn’t relative to the outlay.

I know you’re not specifically talking about tackle store employees but it is a very blurry line this word of mouth thing.....

i guess it comes back to a “be careful who’s advice you seek...” type thing.

Like you say - i do form my own opinion as well and am absolutely obsessive about researching everything before handing over my hard earned. But there is no doubt my initial interest is most often sparked by the advertising that precedes it.

Now back to my ice cold delicious XXXX.....

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    It actually gets much worse than than getting caught using another product! I know a well known fishing guide fairly well and over the last few years he has had several well known " fishing guru's" fish with him. Now some of these blokes actually start out the day using the sponsors product ( some dont) but when a fish needs to be caught they almost alway follow the guides recomendation and use lure XYZ to get the fish ! Now comes the problem , the fish is boated lure xyz is removed and the sponsor product is PLACED in the correct position for the shot!!!!

When it comes to gear, advertising in all it various forms has little to no effect on my purchases! I listen to anglers i respect ( Not Tv and Mag guru's) and check out the gear personally to form my opinions!

ian
    Ian ...... I have heard the same type of thing (twice) ..... Along with fishing reports that blossom ....... & get written up !

The trouble is that people fall for it .

My pet hate is product placement ( & the brand new cap ..... that has not even been adjusted )

Check out the next magazine & check the perfectly aligned rod ( showing brand) ..... There are a few writers that are so blatant with it

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Good thread Chris, personally I feel most of us are guided to some extent whether we know it or not.
    I enjoy watching a particular ex footballers fishing show but have noticed he has become blatant about his product endorsements, sours my opinion of him a bit but hey he has to pay for that flash fishing resort somehow and does he REALLY get seasick??

Cheer's Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    I enjoy watching a particular ex footballers fishing show but have noticed he has become blatant about his product endorsements, sours my opinion of him a bit but hey he has to pay for that flash fishing resort somehow and does he REALLY get seasick??

Cheer's Pete.
    Yeah mate of course he suffers from seasickness........ Just pop down to the compounding chemist.....

In QLD we have a tried and true prevention and cure for seasickness.

ICE cold XXXX!

I always have a couple when i get back from a day on the water.

As a matter of fact i think i'll have one now...

JIM

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Good thread Chris, personally I feel most of us are guided to some extent whether we know it or not.

Cheer's Pete.
    Thanks Pete

There seems to be way too much of it these days ........ Ii watched your mate on Saturday & was so disenchanted with all the advertising ........I stopped watching the show ( unusual for me to turn off a fishing program) ......... Hey I wonder how hard it would have been for the Berkley sponsored M Guest being on the Shimano sponsored ETs show! ...... but he did get to mention the Berkley name
    & then we have the crap camping gear that is emblazoned with his name & photo ....... eeeck
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris, I like to believe that I am untouched by advertising and that I will consult others 'in the know' before I purchase any fishing gear. How much these people are influenced by their product suppliers is a bit of an unknown but trust becomes a big factor here.....

BTW I bought frogs, hollowbellies, Egrells, Shimanos and Daiwas in 2008 - see how untouched I am!!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Chris, I like to believe that I am untouched by advertising and that I will consult others 'in the know' before I purchase any fishing gear. How much these people are influenced by their product suppliers is a bit of an unknown but trust becomes a big factor here.....

BTW I bought frogs, hollowbellies, Egrells, Shimanos and Daiwas in 2008 - see how untouched I am!!
    ahhh but how many of those products were bought because of advertising / product placement ......... I reckon you are too smart for that ........ besides you were probably influenced by what you read on Ausfish Smart lad
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO