Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
Results 121 to 130 of 130
  1. #121

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Oh and while I'm at it.

    Most of the top brand, first string brands ( of anything) are overpriced, particularly in this counrty.

    For a small independent store, they can not get a deal that is competitive on top brands, so they dont sell them....they look for something else that they wont get undercut on day after day after day.

    I can not buy ##### microphones for what my larger competitors sell them for so I do not sell them at all...same with many other top names.

    I am sure that fishing dealers find themselves in the same position.

    I consistently look for lesser known quality brands. With the asians and the chineese improving their quality the reasons to buy top brands is lesser and lesser.

    Typicaly the lesserknown quality brand will be 30% cheaper that an equavalent quality top brand product.

    At one time I was selling a good coppy of a ##58 microphone that was less than a third the price of the most popular brand name model......the coppy was better finished, performed better and sounded spitting immage.
    In fact it was a running gag...to peel the stickers off two microphones and get someone with ligitamatly good ears to tell which was which.
    Unless they knew the gag everbody with pick the coppy and genuine and the genuine as coppy.
    So is should be the coppy manufacturer at one time made the cartridges for the real thing.

    This is a typical case of media influence.... the most popular microphone in question.....the one that most people will ask for and know.....is very much and outdated item (40's technology) that performs well below what the current cheaper brands are producing........at the time when the ##58 was a legitamete good buy it was completly made in the US.....these days the current product ( that many argue ist as good) is assembled in mexico from parts from undisclosed sources.

    When a major brand cuts 30% off its price list across the board because of competition from good quality low cost product you know what is going on

    cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

  2. #122

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post

    While there are men in the world there will be fishing gear and beer.

    ALL reinvent the same thing and sell it as better than the rest.

    Where there is inability, insecurity and the need to keep up with the Jones, they will all succeed!!

    My 2c worth..again
    Steve
    The keeping up with the Jonses ..... Its gotta happen you'd think - but does it with fishing tackle ????. ...... You bet!!!!


    I have no doubt that it does with boats & motors - Hell I'd love a Skeeter , Ranger or Nitro ...... & I'd dare say I will at some stage!!!!! ........ I could come up with some justifications - but reality would be .... its a fast cool looking toy

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  3. #123

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Its a fast cool looking toy
    For now until the next model comes out

  4. #124

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Its a fast cool looking toy
    For now until the next model comes out

    Yeh .... Maybe At least I wont make the decision based on what Joe blow mega personality is using

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  5. #125

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by kevvie View Post
    Personally i cant see the issue with all of this. Who cares if Daiwa or shimano have big glossy ads in a mag, logos all over fishos shirts and hats, down the sides of boats, product placement in tv shows etc etc.

    Its a tecnique practiced in most industries, especially those with any media coverage. I say good luck to em. If they can snare some sales based on the perception they have 'paid good money' to build why complain.

    Also why complain about endorsements and sponsorhip. I dont know any angler who wouldnt like to have free stuff handed to them. I challenge any of you to turn it down. You are all advocates of brands. Like it or not. You all advertise and sponsor and endorse your favourite reels and rods etc. The only difference is other gets stuff for doing it. I think it's a case of the green-eyed monster coming out here.

    I heard first hand that people at Daiwa are turned off by bream tourny fishos thinking they all have a right to sponsorship with thier company. The bream equipment is such a small part of their annual turnover they simply wouldnt care if every bream fisho bought shimano. Most of their turnover is in cheap combos...and the expensive glossy ads are catered just for those people. Building the brand at the grass roots level has far better implications for the company than trying to convert the pros who scrutinise products on sites like this.

    If i have to pay 7bux for my monthly mag and see a few ads, so be it. Beats paying 50bux for a mag without them.

    Just my 5c
    Interesting kevvie, but I dont agree with you on the green eyed monster part. Sure, Id love people to hand me free stuff, but if I had to put my nuts out there to say it was the best thing since sliced bread, and it wasnt, well, thats when you have to question your own sense of self credability, or should that be self respect? So trust me, I aint jealous of anyone wearing a sponsers shirt, or a sticker collecter roaring around the dam.
    The worst offenders are the advertisements masquerading as genuine articles written to inform the average fisho, makes my skin crawl.



  6. #126

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Fair call...and i see your point. But It seems you are pretty educated to it... you can tell the difference between the genuine articled and a fake. The average punter cannot. In my mind they are free game. If joe blow can convince them a dodge reel is the ducks guts, then its a steep and costly learning curve. Fact is most of us started out that way. You learn pretty quick what to buy and who to trust.

    Still i have no issue with marketing your product hard. Its a competitive market and its survival of the fitest.

    P.S. I wouldnt peronally endorse a product i didnt feel was worth it. But i dont bemoan others that will.
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

  7. #127

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Interesting kevvie, but I dont agree with you on the green eyed monster part. Sure, Id love people to hand me free stuff, but if I had to put my nuts out there to say it was the best thing since sliced bread, and it wasnt, well, thats when you have to question your own sense of self credability, or should that be self respect? So trust me, I aint jealous of anyone wearing a sponsers shirt, or a sticker collecter roaring around the dam.
    The worst offenders are the advertisements masquerading as genuine articles written to inform the average fisho, makes my skin crawl.
    I know of a couple of sponsored anglers that use their sponsors product ....... but I know very well that they would not personally buy that gear ! Its a case of using it or loosing it
    Example Only ........ would you really drop back from loomis rods & Shimano Stella spin reels & start using shakespear rods & reels ........... I know I wouldn't - even if it was free!
    There are plenty of examples like that ........ & IMO - there lies a lack of credibility!

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  8. #128

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    ..... I aint jealous of anyone wearing a sponsers shirt, or a sticker collecter roaring around the dam.......
    Thoroughly entertaining read over a couple of weeks, Nagg

    STICKER COLLECTOR

    Maybe i live a sheltered life but Iíve not heard that one before....

  9. #129

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Thoroughly entertaining read over a couple of weeks, Nagg

    STICKER COLLECTOR


    Maybe i live a sheltered life but Iíve not heard that one before....


    Hey Jungle Jim - have to agree. Totally entertaining.

    It's obvious from the diversity of responses that we are all astute, level headed, cool, calm, collected, lacking in gullability and never, ever influenced by the media when buying our tackle and equipment ..... except me that is! Cos unless I watch TV and DVDs, read magazines and follow forums like this - I'd never have found soft plastics, hard bodied and soft bodied lures, spinnerbaits, dropshots, graphite rods in IM6, IM7, IM8, tournament style boats, sounders, live wells, jiggy jiggy (oh no sorry that's my Italian mate and his missus ) and I would not have spent nearly $15,000 in the last 6 months without putting a line in the water yet!

    But I've had one helluva time doing it so far and once my boat arrives I'll be set up to be influenced even more. Bugger! Hope the missus doesn't need a new hand bag.

  10. #130

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by kevvie View Post
    Fair call...and i see your point. But It seems you are pretty educated to it... you can tell the difference between the genuine articled and a fake. The average punter cannot. In my mind they are free game. If joe blow can convince them a dodge reel is the ducks guts, then its a steep and costly learning curve. Fact is most of us started out that way. You learn pretty quick what to buy and who to trust.

    Still i have no issue with marketing your product hard. Its a competitive market and its survival of the fitest.

    P.S. I wouldnt peronally endorse a product i didnt feel was worth it. But i dont bemoan others that will.

    Well said mate!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    Thoroughly entertaining read over a couple of weeks, Nagg

    STICKER COLLECTOR

    Maybe i live a sheltered life but Iíve not heard that one before....
    They are nrmally the ones that roar past within 20 meters of ya mate, just after youve taken the effort to set up with a noiseless approach and tie off!

    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpah View Post

    Hey Jungle Jim - have to agree. Totally entertaining.

    It's obvious from the diversity of responses that we are all astute, level headed, cool, calm, collected, lacking in gullability and never, ever influenced by the media when buying our tackle and equipment ..... except me that is! Cos unless I watch TV and DVDs, read magazines and follow forums like this - I'd never have found soft plastics, hard bodied and soft bodied lures, spinnerbaits, dropshots, graphite rods in IM6, IM7, IM8, tournament style boats, sounders, live wells, jiggy jiggy (oh no sorry that's my Italian mate and his missus ) and I would not have spent nearly $15,000 in the last 6 months without putting a line in the water yet!

    But I've had one helluva time doing it so far and once my boat arrives I'll be set up to be influenced even more. Bugger! Hope the missus doesn't need a new hand bag.
    Well said again mate, no matter how much we like, or dislike it, we are but slaves to the advertising machine!



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us