Classifieds

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 130
  1. #46

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    I dont think anyone would begrudge someone making a living out of fishing ....... but its the cash/product for comment thing that stinks

    some change manufactures allegiance ....... not for any other reason than freebies or $$$
    unfortunately the general average fisherfolk ..... often knows no better & follows..........
    Take BRP (Etecs) & look at how many high profile fishing media personalities have been seduced into making a change - you dont go & rip off virtually brand new motors off your boat & replace them with another brand ....... which several have ......... this is a stand out ( If the product was so good - do you really need to go to that length to sponsor every possible candidate)

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  2. #47

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I dont think anyone would begrudge someone making a living out of fishing ....... but its the cash/product for comment thing that stinks

    some change manufactures allegiance ....... not for any other reason than freebies or $$$
    unfortunately the general average fisherfolk ..... often knows no better & follows..........
    Take BRP (Etecs) & look at how many high profile fishing media personalities have been seduced into making a change - you dont go & rip off virtually brand new motors off your boat & replace them with another brand ....... which several have ......... this is a stand out ( If the product was so good - do you really need to go to that length to sponsor every possible candidate)

    Chris
    I hear exactly what you are saying Chris... regarding switching allegiances.

    Just like if a Ford salesman gets a job at the Holden dealership.
    For years that guy was telling me that the blue ones are better now he’s aligned with the general all of a sudden the red ones are better.

    When i read Steve B’s earlier post he mentioned the responsibilities of being supported. Like it or loath it any sponsored person becomes a sales person for that brand.
    In the case of Steve B after trawling through dozens of his posts i quickly found out that he knew what he was talking about and was impressed that he was able to offer advice in such a genuine way. I have purchased products based on advice written on by him on this site.

    Not trying to pee in anyone’s pocket just trying to demonstrate how a message can be delivered 2 different ways.

    p.s Nagg i remember reading a post of your's which also convinced me to buy a reel (albeit more from a collection point of view than anything else)

    Geez i must be easily lead.......

    JIM

  3. #48

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    I hear exactly what you are saying Chris... regarding switching allegiances.

    Just like if a Ford salesman gets a job at the Holden dealership.
    For years that guy was telling me that the blue ones are better now he’s aligned with the general all of a sudden the red ones are better.

    When i read Steve B’s earlier post he mentioned the responsibilities of being supported. Like it or loath it any sponsored person becomes a sales person for that brand.
    In the case of Steve B after trawling through dozens of his posts i quickly found out that he knew what he was talking about and was impressed that he was able to offer advice in such a genuine way. I have purchased products based on advice written on by him on this site.

    Not trying to pee in anyone’s pocket just trying to demonstrate how a message can be delivered 2 different ways.

    p.s Nagg i remember reading a post of your's which also convinced me to buy a reel (albeit more from a collection point of view than anything else)

    Geez i must be easily lead.......

    JIM
    Jim ....... Steve knows his stuff & uses the product that is provided to him ...... I know he has obtained sponsorship after they became aware that he already used the sponsors product ........... Thats CRED!!!!
    Me ..... I often post about the gear that I use ( I buy everything I use) More importantly any advice that I give will be on the back of .... It works or it is good value ! ....... Now if Mr Daiwa / Loomis / squidgy / Nitlon or Hollowbelly want to offer me product ........ I'd be only too happy to continue using their products & continue to sing their praises
    In some way ...... I'd like to think that I have some cred too , because I will buy what I think will do the job ....... & if it doesn't everyone will know about it regardless

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  4. #49

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    I took notice of an advertisement I saw once and brought what they were advertising.
    The advertisement was for Alvey reels.
    Only problem was that the ad was from 1954.
    The good thing was by the time I got around to get the Alvey been advertised it was now only available secondhand in garage sales and cost about $5.
    I think the ad is worth more then the reel now.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good


  5. #50

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi b8

    Honestly ...... I'd like to see a disclosure at the end of each article (Cash for comment ... so to speak!)

    Chris





    Chris, read this months Bream, Bass and Barra mag mate, your head wil spin off ya shoulders!



  6. #51

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Chris, read this months Bream, Bass and Barra mag mate, your head wil spin off ya shoulders!
    That good hey ?
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  7. #52

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Or that bad, depending on your point of view...............
    A write up on polarized glasses springs to mind, among other things



  8. #53

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Or that bad, depending on your point of view...............
    A write up on polarized glasses springs to mind, among other things
    Tell me more
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  9. #54

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Be good if those who are sponsered actually state who their sponsers are when relevant so other readers can decide for themselves if it is a paid comment or a real opinion.

    I am involved with another site ( not fishing related) and a condition of membership is that any interest in products and if giving a professional opinion rather than casual comment it is noted at the bottom of teh post. Often the lack of comment or rebuttle says more than the threads where there is lots of comments. So if a member gets a fee item to test you write it down and if your are actually sponsered you write that down. It was introduced as several folk were using several usernames and talking up products ( being paid to do so) and also the reverse - pretty negative and sad.

    It would be honest ethical and moral for those sponsered to say that in their posts.

    I don't like cash for comments.


    PS anyone else notice rex hunt selling different brands of reel on ebay recently? Sponsors gifts and ones for photo shoots etc

  10. #55

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    I have been in advertising and marketing jobs since I was sixteen years old. I've seen sport sponsorship go from nothing to zillions (sorry is that a brand name?). I've gone from hand delivering newspaper ads on lead and plywood blocks to sending pdfs to the media by email. I've watched as my nights have gone from listening to the crystal set under the blankets to lying like a stunned mullet in front of the 42 inch (sorry 106 cm) Plasma screen, clicking through 200 channels and still finding there's nothing to watch. I used to know when the phone rang it was a friend from my country...not someone from some dusty continent who is not wanting...or an SMS from yet another flogger of goodies.

    Once upon a time, ads were put out in newspapers, magazines and radio, posters and leaflets. Now if it has a space - it has an ad - and that includes humans, animals, machines buildings - everything. You want to read, watch or hear about boating, fishing, camping (whoops - there I go again) - you will have to pay for that - by having your consciousness interrupted by advertising. You WILL be influenced by it - you cannot help it. As much as you try to avoid it - it will get you. I still believe after 47 years in the business that word of mouth is the strongest form of advertising - but these days you have to judge the mouth the words are coming from and whether or not the word is influenced by the dollar.

    Thank goodness for forums like this that are free from......... oh my god, what's that in the top right hand corner ....and on the left hand margin....and way down there at the bottom of the page.....

    Hey guys, have fun sorting out what or who has influenced your next purchase - I bet quids it's not you alone...cheers!!

  11. #56

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Just a comment on the Tournament angler side of things .

    When it comes to fishing for the likes of Bream , Bass & Barra ...... we have a lot to thank for the tournament scene With the competitive nature of these events , each year we see introduced some new technique / lure or piece of tackle that might be a revelation or enhance our fishing experiences ......... & I think its a good thing

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  12. #57

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    I hear exactly what you are saying Chris... regarding switching allegiances.

    Just like if a Ford salesman gets a job at the Holden dealership.
    For years that guy was telling me that the blue ones are better now he’s aligned with the general all of a sudden the red ones are better.

    When i read Steve B’s earlier post he mentioned the responsibilities of being supported. Like it or loath it any sponsored person becomes a sales person for that brand.
    In the case of Steve B after trawling through dozens of his posts i quickly found out that he knew what he was talking about and was impressed that he was able to offer advice in such a genuine way. I have purchased products based on advice written on by him on this site.

    Not trying to pee in anyone’s pocket just trying to demonstrate how a message can be delivered 2 different ways.

    p.s Nagg i remember reading a post of your's which also convinced me to buy a reel (albeit more from a collection point of view than anything else)

    Geez i must be easily lead.......

    JIM
    Jim, Thanks for the kind words mate..And from you to Chris.

    Chris pretty much explained how my support (I dont really consider my self sponsored in the context of things) came about after fishing with a true 'fully sponsored' angler from the squdgie/Stiffy stable. I had great success after learning how to use the lures/plastics properly from Jas, and thats what I try to do here, is help others do the same if they ask me. As well as report catches etc which I assure you are never fabricated, or have lures changed for photos etc. I know it does happen out there, But I will never do it.

    I also have sponsorship from Egrell rods too. It came about by testing a few of their rods in, what was back then, a rapidly growing impoundment barra scene. Eric being the superb rod builder that he is, wanted to test his rods in some of the toughest, roughest styles of barra fishing he could find...monduran timber was it. I was/am fortunate enough to be local and that helped with the testing etc....Eric and Deb still get up here often and test the rods out....and there is a new design in the pipeline!! I try to avoid getting into the 'technical' side of rods as I have pretty much no idea about all that....I just use them to catch fish.

    What I am trying to say in this dribble, Is I am very lucky to have support from Two good mobs that have good gear that I DO enjoy using...that really helps. Like HardB8 said, I do too. I would never accept a sposorship from a product I dont like/use. I wouldn't feel right talking about it or trying to 'promote' something I dont like or dont have confidence in. For the fully sponsored blokes that I know, they all use the gear they promote I can assure you of that....and use it well. For them fishing is their lives, and they are salespeople for their sponsors. Its a full time job!! For me, it's like a part time casual job!!

    Again Jim, thanks for the kind words.....your free lure is in the mail

    Steve

  13. #58

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Like it or not I think we are all influenced in some way or another. My only gripe about advertising is the customer paying for it ie. A dvd made by a tackle company that's basically about their product and the fish they catch is expected to be bought by the potential customer ... surely these should be hand out out to their already buying customers as a "here check out these exciting new products we have" rather than "Our next "Fishing" dvd is out so go and pay $30 for it" ... BTW my partner bought mine for christmas.

    Ta
    Matt

  14. #59

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by MattChew View Post
    Like it or not I think we are all influenced in some way or another. My only gripe about advertising is the customer paying for it ie. A dvd made by a tackle company that's basically about their product and the fish they catch is expected to be bought by the potential customer ... surely these should be hand out out to their already buying customers as a "here check out these exciting new products we have" rather than "Our next "Fishing" dvd is out so go and pay $30 for it" ... BTW my partner bought mine for christmas.

    Ta
    Matt
    At least the Mark Berg (Okuma) ones get given away ...... Thank god PETCHEWWWWW !!!!!

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  15. #60

    Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    At least the Mark Berg (Okuma) ones get given away ...... Thank god PETCHEWWWWW !!!!!

    Chris
    I think they actually get thrown away and just happen to stick to Magazine covers!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us