Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Re: Media influences on your tackle / equipment purchases

Hey ..... Just on the flip side

Who would you trust in the media ..... when it comes to tackle or equipment.

I honestly cant think of many ......... & certainly none of the mainstream presenters

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Nagg.... what about phases, crazes and sub cultures....do you think that manufacturers invent crazes or sub cultures to sell products?

Sometimes there isn’t even a real market for something until they invent the sub culture.

3 or 4 years ago i couldn’t name of one low carb beer..........nowdays every second beer is low, less or no carb.

A sub-culture of beer drinkers created to sell a product to that there was previously no market for.

Not as blatant as product placement but marketing hype all the same...

JIM
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
    Hey Nagg.... what about phases, crazes and sub cultures....do you think that manufacturers invent crazes or sub cultures to sell products?

Sometimes there isn’t even a real market for something until they invent the sub culture.

3 or 4 years ago i couldn’t name of one low carb beer..........nowdays every second beer is low, less or no carb.

A sub-culture of beer drinkers created to sell a product to that there was previously no market for.

Not as blatant as product placement but marketing hype all the same...

JIM
    Absolutely ........ & it is why we have things like the ABT & AFC ...... A whole market was created virtually overnight.
    My hat goes off to Steve Morgan ..... Advertising genius I reckon ( now you have tackle manufactures , boat , motor & electronics companies climbing over themselves to get in on it .
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I don't buy fishing mags nor DVDs, nor the equivalent boating stuff so I am a babe in the woods 99% of the time - everytime a nich product or celebrity is mentioned. All of my info is from the posts I read and then every now and then the wider net for more review like reading.

Rightly or wrongly the moment I recognise a new product as relating to the nich enthusiast I turn off and away as it is most often not credible and if by chance it is credible I will most certainly hear about it in 6 months time from the more mainstream in use, only then is it worthy of retaining within my few brain cells that bother working these days

Still If I where to notice celeb advertising then I guess Micheal J Fox or Will Smith might get my initial attention through base respect - Paris who?????

cheers fnq

Anyone who thinks they are not affected by the advertising "bug" is kidding themselves. For instance today I was jigging a mazzy vibe for snaps and it was a bit quiet. First reaction, must be because I don't have a jackall on.

As someone who has been in the tackle side for ten years know I cannot tell you how many people come in asking for a nuclear chicken or some fireline. When you further question them they don't realise that nuclear chicken may be used with a jighead and fireline generally needs a leader.

I guess what I am trying to say is that despite what everyone believes advertising is a such a part of our life and whether it is a good or bad thing can easily be debated. Good because it raises awareness of a product giving us more tools to catch the fish (frogs being a perfect example) or highly negative by limiting our mindset/tunnel vision (frogs being a perfect example). To say that we will not secume to advertising would be as ignorant and stupid as allowing us to be so easily captured in the television headlights. Advertising is an important tool in us progressing in our game.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey ..... Just on the flip side

Who would you trust in the media ..... when it comes to tackle or equipment.

I honestly cant think of many ......... & certainly none of the mainstream presenters

Chris
    1. Steve Starling
    2. Jason Wilhelm
    3. Kaj Busch

Oh they all work for shimano/squidgy/stiffies look at that. Have to get a starlo stix next time I'm in a tackle store.

We are catching the U.S in terms of fishing product placement/propaganda/advertising...
    There is no room left on some of the guysshirts,boats for more brands over there..

To answer you Nagg,not alot of the mainstream guys get my trust...I much
    prefer to see what is working for guys in the comps and general word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    ahhh but how many of those products were bought because of advertising / product placement ......... I reckon you are too smart for that ........ besides you were probably influenced by what you read on Ausfish Smart lad
    I guess the question has to be asked how much places like Ausfish do influence what people buy?, I know every now and then i have a laugh when i read a bit of clever advertising that is mascarading as a fishing report . I know if i was a marketer that wanted to sell a bit of fishing gear or start a craze the interenet and forums especially like this would be a great place to start. Its a great place to reach your target audience. Imagine if we were seeing 4-5 report a week of people using MrTwisters grubs to nail all sorts of fish from barra to snapper I bet people would be queing up to get there hands on a pack .

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Anyone who thinks they are not affected by the advertising "bug" is kidding themselves. For instance today I was jigging a mazzy vibe for snaps and it was a bit quiet. First reaction, must be because I don't have a jackall on.

As someone who has been in the tackle side for ten years know I cannot tell you how many people come in asking for a nuclear chicken or some fireline. When you further question them they don't realise that nuclear chicken may be used with a jighead and fireline generally needs a leader.

I guess what I am trying to say is that despite what everyone believes advertising is a such a part of our life and whether it is a good or bad thing can easily be debated. Good because it raises awareness of a product giving us more tools to catch the fish (frogs being a perfect example) or highly negative by limiting our mindset/tunnel vision (frogs being a perfect example). To say that we will not secume to advertising would be as ignorant and stupid as allowing us to be so easily captured in the television headlights. Advertising is an important tool in us progressing in our game.

Scott
    Well said Scott

Advertising is a given ...... Product awareness is a good thing
    where I'm coming from is more the infomercial or brand placement type of thing ........ not a glossy add for the new ubeaut rod or reel
    The frogs thing is a good example ( all the footage was shot using American Zoom horny toads) ........ The add was for Squidgy Boof frogs .......... Awareness was created along with a market ( & in slides a new product).

I'm sure ET goes to big W to buy all his fishing gear ...... & use his ET bream combo - NOT!
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

first off..who are these supposed fishing gurus????

secondly...I started a thread a while back about reels etc...some guys on here recite makes and models of reels like they are thiewr kid's names...I could not tell you what size line are even on most of my reels let alone what they are without looking ta them...who influences all this research into reel types.

I buy BnB about once every 3 or 4 months...I never watch fishing shows..I did watch ABT once...found that ridiculously boring...have seen the bloke kiss the fish once..same thing..boring and never seen ET's show.

I prefer to go fishing..not so much read mags or watch shows about it.

As for sponsorship..good luck to those that get it..no problems with that at all...I do hate it when they sat that product abc is the best available but the next year xyz is better (cos they have a new sponsor)...kinda reduces their integrity a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by alphas View Post
    We are catching the U.S in terms of fishing product placement/propaganda/advertising...
    There is no room left on some of the guysshirts,boats for more brands over there..

To answer you Nagg,not alot of the mainstream guys get my trust...I much
    prefer to see what is working for guys in the comps and general word of mouth.
    I'm with you on that ...... More likely to look at what is working in the comps as these guys depend on real results & then of course what I hear on Ausfish

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by bayfisher View Post
    I guess the question has to be asked how much places like Ausfish do influence what people buy?, I know every now and then i have a laugh when i read a bit of clever advertising that is mascarading as a fishing report . I know if i was a marketer that wanted to sell a bit of fishing gear or start a craze the interenet and forums especially like this would be a great place to start. Its a great place to reach your target audience. Imagine if we were seeing 4-5 report a week of people using MrTwisters grubs to nail all sorts of fish from barra to snapper I bet people would be queing up to get there hands on a pack .

Cheers Chris
    We certainly saw a bit of that last year. But we can usually pick it. There are sponsored anglers on this site that promote their products ...... but not a great deal
    in general ....... the reports usually reflect what is working & Its why I take more notice of what I read here than say a magazine article by some sponsored personality

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by alphas View Post
    You are spot on there with the pros in the states. Their shirts look like the ones like Nascar drivers wear.

Absolutely dripping in sponsors. Walking - talking billboards. If you ever watch an interview with a Nascar driver at the track check out the background. Every single millimetre of space is taken up with advertising.

There are plenty of companies that are smart enough to realise that even though their product isn’t fishing related -their message can be delivered to a large audience via pro bass fishing. Mountain dew, chevy trucks.

I guess what all this advertising – be it shirt sponsor, product placement, event naming rights or print media- does is pump cash into this industry.

I still can’t see any negatives with sponsorship.

JIM
    What would Macgyver do . . . . . ?

While i dont have any drama with product placement i feel it could be done with more subtlety.

I agree that sponsorship is neccessary to the industry and even enjoy reading advertisements... I also dont have an issue with sponsored shirts and boats. But i have seen with my own eyes pros manufacturing photos to display thier sponsors logos.

Here's an example. On ET last weekend (mentioned by a few on this post) the product placement is extreme, overt and totally annoying. Im not sure if the sort of ad revenue generated by ET for the show is nedded for the show to exist, if so then no disputes, but if not it has to be toned down. Purely from a user experience perspective.

Now his "guest" on the show...michael guest while obviously sponsored by berkley and pirtek didnt rub it in your face. All Guesty appearences on TV are displaying his association with pirtek and i think the way he goes about it is fine. Its on his boat, on his clothes but never mentioned and rammed down your throat. His association with berkley on the other hand is blatent. But to his credit i've heard thru the grapevine he uses the ABU stuff off camera as well... Practices what he preaches which is a credible thing.
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

how you guys drink xxxx i dont know...