Thread: caloundra area

caloundra area

hey guys. im heading up to caloudra on weds and im going to take the rods.
    i was jsut wondering if anyone could send me in the right direction.

any help would be great.
    thanks guys.
    jared
    boat minder- only $40 a day

Re: caloundra area

might be a few small trevs and queenies around pelican waters canals early morning. The bridge at the mouth there is worth a shot with surface lures

Hey, you could try the Esplanade at Golden Beach near Diamond Head. Fished it the other night and got a good reef shark

the mouth has been producing whiting on yabbies at low tide fishing the run offs from the flats

cheers justin

Was up there from Thurday to Sunday. I was going to fish along golden beach and down at the park area where Roy street ends (suggestions by other ausfish guys). On Friday there was just too many people and watercraft so I fished the bridge that feeds the canals for Pelican waters. There was huge amounts of baitfish swimming along the wall of the canal on the side where the small reserve is. Even saw a baitball of little fish say 20mm long and the ball diameter was about 50cm. Quite interesting to watch in the shallow water. As the tide approached low at about 4 there was quite abit of larger fish chopping the bait on the surface. I saw what looked like a tarpon about 60cm or so it was a bit hard to see very overcast with ligth drizzle and getting late in the day. He was just slowly cruising up and down the edge of the rocks where the bait was. I casted my SX40 at him but not interested. Later I saw another school of 6 bit smaller fish cruising which again looked like tarpon. I did manage to hook a little trumpeter on the SX40. Hungry little bugger he was cause he was only about 10cm with the sx40 hanging out his mouth.

On saturday and sunday the wind had blown up and alot of seagrass was in the canal so every cast the lure snagged whether it was a surface diver or metal slug so it was a waste of time. Under the bridge itself there were 3 dead bream that looked like they had been caugth and gutted then dropped back into the water. Don't know why that would be but the were definately legal size and looked like they were caugth the from scales being on the bank.

Anyhow that was my trip. I intend to go back down that way sometime again, looks like several good places for using hardbodies and plastics. Hope you catch some jared.