Thread: Spiral wrap runners

Spiral wrap runners

I am looking for a new graphite baitcaster rod and have seen one with the runners in a spiral wrap. I initially thought someone had stuffed up when putting the runners on, but was informed it was a new way and gave better casts. Has anyone had any experience with a spiral wrap rod. ( I was looking at a starlo stix)

Thanks

Re: Spiral wrap runners

spiral wraps have been around for years, I reckon if the advantage is so great, then all rods would be that way, but it just isn't so, in theory I guess there is some benefit, but in practice how much?? I have used a couple and hardly rate the difference as even being noticable.

As far as i'm aware they don't cast better technically should cast wose as the line is in contact with teh guides more due to the spiral. They are supposed to improve feel when hooked onto a fish as the guides are not on top at the tip and this is meant to remove the rod from wanting to roll over in your hands (this is from what I have read)

Quote Originally Posted by abbykait View Post
    I am looking for a new graphite baitcaster rod and have seen one with the runners in a spiral wrap. I initially thought someone had stuffed up when putting the runners on, but was informed it was a new way and gave better casts. Has anyone had any experience with a spiral wrap rod. ( I was looking at a starlo stix)

Thanks
    The spiral /acid wrap concept has been around for a while now ........ & I think the main benefit comes in the fight ( not casting) ie; reduced torque
    I recently read an article that Starlo wrote about hits & misses in the Australian tackle industry ...... He admitted that he got it wrong ( Aussies have not warmed to the concept) ...... like interline rods.

Thats not to say its a bad thing though - Although , if you think about a rod being built on the spine - how could you with an acid / spiral wrap

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

spiral wraps were first developed to stop twisting under heavy loads on overhead rods.
    they were never intended to improve casting.

I would like to build a 5ft6in 24kg spiral wrapped rod.

When we went to Cato and Wreck back in the 80's we were trialling a Sabre short stroker heavy blank with a spiral wrap, it was then called a Roberts wrap I think.

Attached to a Shimano TTS 50 loaded with 24kg mono, it was the most lethal rod on the boat.

Bloody awesome!!!

I think they are designed for trolling and big fish under heavy load, not for casting or spinning.

Cheers.

Got a spiral wrapped rod early last year and have been very happy with it. I dont think it casts any better or worse than in line guides but it sure seems to suffer from less blank twist.

So now I'm a bit of a fan, but if one were to be forced to find something negative, then it would be the grabbiness of the guides when storing the rods in rod lockers or in the car etc.

I have built a few spiral wraps ovr the years, and I think almost all of them were for the owners "novelty value" they see it on a TV show, or in a Magazine and think it must be good, now I am not for one minute saying they are not OK, but I just don't see them as being sooo much better than a standard wrap, but it's your cash, your rod and your choice, buy it, try it and see for yourself, now as far as the line through the blank concept, I am also not too convinced that they are all that flash either, certainly not a dud, but any better/worse don't think so, and also still not convinced how the line touching the blank for the entire rod is better than just touching in a few spots like with guides, they do have a very slight plus with those bait jigs, you can wind the whole lot into the blank and those tiny hooks that seem to stick into everything are tucked away (but they still get tangled)