Thread: Freshwater fish on fly

Freshwater fish on fly

More questions

I have fly fished for Trout for 30 odd years in the Uk and US.

I now live in Brisbane.

Is there anywhere that is worth fly fishing for freshwater fish?

I understand that most predators will take a lure but what about flies that imitate insects? such as nymphs, dry flies etc.

Don't care what species...just curious.

Also anywhere near Brisbane worth fishing from the bank?....I have not yet got a boat.

I am able to cast a shooting head a long way so am not phased by big waters.

Cahal

Smile Re: Freshwater fish on fly

Cahal,
    There are several freshwater options around the southeast queensland corner for fresh water fly. With Hinze on the goldy, Maroon, Moogerah to the southwest, Sommerset, Wivenhoe, Cressbrook and Brisbane Valley to the west, North Pine, Lake McDonald, Baroon Pocket and Burumba to the north. These impoundments carry a population of Australian Bass, Silver Perch, Sartoga, Golden Perch, Mary River Cod and the humble Catfish. All of which will take fly.
    Maritime Safety Queenslands " Beacon To Beacon" has important information on all of these locations including type of permits required and fish species on offer.
    Another option is to attend a meeting of the Southeast Queensland Flyfishers held at the Mermaid Beach Bowls Club on the third tuesday evening of the month. The meeting starts a 1900. The members at keen on both salt and fresh water fly and will gladly lend a handto make your local flyfishing more enjoyable.

Jeff.
    Fly rods were made to bend!

Re: Freshwater fish on fly

Hey Cahal,

Welcome to the freshwater flyfishing scene mate, where to fish without a boat is a hard one but doable. Depends where you live, where abouts do you live?

North Pine Dam is a great place to catch big Bass and good casting from the bank.

Somerset and Wivenhoe will work from the bank.

MDonald is a great lake but limited to about 400-500 metres of bank and will have to practice your role casts.

I might be heading up to Borumba this SAturday if you are interested? I have a boat. If you are, send me a personal post.

Thanks for that Jeff....I just wanted to make sure I would not be wasting my time.....I don't mind a blank day as long as I am in with a chance.

I will try to make a meeting of the SEQ flyfishers as I am sure that is the way to learn more about the local scene.....I would also like to learn more about saltwater flyfishing.

I did not realise 'beacon to beacon' covered freshwater...I will get a copy.

I am also a keen fly tier but had to give away most of my flies due to customs restrictions.

I have kept most of my gear though so need to get tying some flies.

thanks

Cahal

Thanks Woolybugger.

I live in Toowong and will buy a boat as soon as I get my licence.

I have walked at NPD and thought it might be a good place to start as it reminds me of some of the UK reservoirs....I have also had a look at lake McDonald but could only find the fishing platform.

Thanks for the offer of a trip but things will be difficult for a while because we are renovating the house and the weekends seem to be the only time my son is available to help so I will have to decline for now.

I would certainly be interested at some point in the near future though.....as soon as we are sorted.

What flies should I tie for a start....any general useful patterns?

Thanks again

Cahal

Good day Morston,
    Mate if your ever down in Tassie give me a yell.
    as you know some of the best fly fishing in the world.
    Very happy to show you around
    Cheers
    Reidy

Maybe one day Reidy

Would love to have a crack at them....I have flyfished for trout for over 30 years. Lakes and rivers.

I really don't see the attraction of catching them on bait or lures.

In my experience trout will eat just about anything and can be quite aggressive so lure fishing does not appeal.

Looking forward to trying for some Australian natives on the fly

Cahal

Quote Originally Posted by Morston View Post
    Maybe one day Reidy

Would love to have a crack at them....I have flyfished for trout for over 30 years. Lakes and rivers.

I really don't see the attraction of catching them on bait or lures.

In my experience trout will eat just about anything and can be quite aggressive so lure fishing does not appeal.

Looking forward to trying for some Australian natives on the fly

Cahal
    No worries mate any time your down this way.Some quality dry fishing over the warmer months would be the go i feel.Been doing a bit of soft plastic fishing lately early in the season when the fish are down a bit deeper,tend to find the technique a tad like wet fly fishing (watch the line for movement) It's quite entertaining at times i must admit eg mutli strikes tap tap tap before the plastic is taken all good fun and a little more energetic on those cold Tassie winter mornings.
    Good luck on the warm water species up your way.
    Cheers
    Reidy

I reckon you should find a fresh water creeck along the Brisbane river (upstream) or simply the Brisbane river its self and fish surface and subsurface (particuly in the morning and late afternoon) around snags for bass. This is TRUE bass fishing. Alot of your fishing will be roll casts, but be that as it may. Research bass and definatley buy that "Beacon to Beacon" book.

Good luck.

Cheers.

Thanks for that.

I am starting to expore a bit more

Went to Nudgee today and saw some mangrove Jacks amongst the mangroves....reckon they might be worth a go on the fly.

Cahal