Thread: Lures for Mackerel/Wahoo and the likes?

Lures for Mackerel/Wahoo and the likes?

G'day guys and gals. Happy new year to you all, hope everyone had a blinder
    My mate and I are going to be targeting Mackerel and Wahoo this year and just wanted to see what lures everyone likes to use as i haven't done much of this type of fishing.
    Any info with regards to Length, colour, depth, trolled speed and brands would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Paul

Re: Lures for Mackerel/Wahoo and the likes?

Can't go past Halco Lazer Pro 190's and R2S Killer Vibes or any other bibless minnow as you can troll these at high speeds, any colours will work IMO. Skirts will also do the job, especially on the Hoo. In terms of speed, somewhere around 10knts, remember these are some of the fastest fish in the ocean.

Cheers
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

As far a spanish Mackeral go , well you cannot go past a VERY VERY slowly trolled live slimey! Last week we converted 6 slimey's into 5 spanish, there just that good!!! For wahoo i like Hex heads trolled quickly, 12+ knots it just seems to drive them crazy failing that a spread of c-lures and halco 190 pro's in either gold or purple! These imho are also the best colours for the hex heads, gold and black or gold and purple!

Of course you could troll some skirts at 7 knots which will catch you all or the above and more, brands worth trying are black magic, smithy's,meridian, and of course those amazingly good PITBULL's
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    As far a spanish Mackeral go , well you cannot go past a VERY VERY slowly trolled live slimey! Last week we converted 6 slimey's into 5 spanish, there just that good!!! For wahoo i like Hex heads trolled quickly, 12+ knots it just seems to drive them crazy failing that a spread of c-lures and halco 190 pro's in either gold or purple! These imho are also the best colours for the hex heads, gold and black or gold and purple!

Of course you could troll some skirts at 7 knots which will catch you all or the above and more, brands worth trying are black magic, smithy's,meridian, and of course those amazingly good PITBULL's

How exactly do you rig the slimy for trolling? Also what exactly are hex heads, and who makes them?
    Is there a standard depth to troll or do you run a few lures at different depths?

Cheers
    Paul

hi Sharkie - just wondering how you went with the mackeral lures over the past few years?

Have to agree with the slimies, alive or dead, macks love them.
    Beware of lures that have the tow point on the bib.
    I got a cobia to the boat on a Rapala CD18 once and the at the last minute the bib searated from the body of the lure, so the fish swam away with the lure and I reeled in the bib.
    I like Halco Laser Pro, Lively Lures blue pilly and Mack Maulers.
    It will tell you the speeds to troll them on the packet.

I use 60cm of 69lb single strand wire in front for spanish.

Nice as everyone has suggested Halco Laser pros are the bomb, i like Pauline Hanson colour (red head, white body) persnally, but everyone has there own favourite. Good idea grab Johnny Mitchells Mackerel DVD and see what he uses for trolled baits, anything as long as its fresh and swims well by the looks of it, (dont forget the 105cm spanish he trolls for a monster!)

Josh

I'm buying myself more x-rap 20's and 30's this week........... greens, purples, qantas

mine have all been eaten!