Thread: Plastic techniques

Plastic techniques

hey all

whats the best way to work plastics in fast currents, and in heavy winds.

my set up at the moment is 6lb fireline with a rods length of 6lb leader,, and i try not to use a jig head any heavier than 1/8th if i can help it, my technique at present is cast into the current and work it back, so my theory is it gives the fish a chance to see it coming. but i find that the line goes slack really quickly,, i dont know if this i usual, it just seems that by the time i throw it out, its back at the boat already.

cheers

Re: Plastic techniques

You should retrieve it against the current (so the current is pulling on the plastic), other wise it will just drift back to the boat like you said and any actions you put on the lure wont have any effect as the line is slack.

This thread mite be of help too - http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=135534

Your technique is right but I suspect you are fishing from an anchored boat, DON'T.

Drift over your target area with the current as best you can, even if it means a new drift avery ten minutes or so. Start wel upcurrent from the target and place a floater behind the boat and feed out enough line so it touches the bottom occasionally and no more. Then cast towards your target as you are approaching it and let it sink to the bottom and flick it off and let sink again. You will probably get a few shots at the target area per drift. Wait untill you are well past the target area before you head back for another shot keeping well clear of the target. Fish hate being disturbed.
    Jack.

Yep Jack is spot on, when you are drifting towards your target area, you nullify a lot of the currents effect. When anchored its better to cast up current and away out at a 90 degree angle and let the current wash the plastic past you, providing your jigging or twitch actions as it goes. This isnt bad on a gentle current.
    Wind, well once again it depends on the angle of the wind compared to current flow. You just have to work harder to keep the belly out of the line. One way to do that is to put your rod tip right down near the water at a 90 degree angle to your line. I dont do uplifting twitches ever, so I dont get as affected by the wind. Because the SP is lower than you on the bottom, even sideways twitches lifts it on and off the bottom. Hope that helps some.
    Flatzie

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Your technique is right but I suspect you are fishing from an anchored boat, DON'T.

Drift over your target area with the current as best you can, even if it means a new drift avery ten minutes or so. Start wel upcurrent from the target and place a floater behind the boat and feed out enough line so it touches the bottom occasionally and no more. Then cast towards your target as you are approaching it and let it sink to the bottom and flick it off and let sink again. You will probably get a few shots at the target area per drift. Wait untill you are well past the target area before you head back for another shot keeping well clear of the target. Fish hate being disturbed.
    Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    Yep Jack is spot on, when you are drifting towards your target area, you nullify a lot of the currents effect. When anchored its better to cast up current and away out at a 90 degree angle and let the current wash the plastic past you, providing your jigging or twitch actions as it goes. This isnt bad on a gentle current.
    Wind, well once again it depends on the angle of the wind compared to current flow. You just have to work harder to keep the belly out of the line. One way to do that is to put your rod tip right down near the water at a 90 degree angle to your line. I dont do uplifting twitches ever, so I dont get as affected by the wind. Because the SP is lower than you on the bottom, even sideways twitches lifts it on and off the bottom. Hope that helps some.
    Flatzie
    couldnt have said it better myself.

neil