Thread: Any Recipes for Shovel-Nose Ray/Shark?

Any Recipes for Shovel-Nose Ray/Shark?

I just caught a shovelly, and would like to eat it.

I tried cooking one a few years ago, and it tasted ok. It was difficult to skin, though. I am wondering about baking it in it's skin. I have, needless to say, gutted it, and cut off it's head.

Any suggestions for recipes, preparation etc greatly appreciated.

H-L-S
    Last edited by hook-line-sinker; 02-01-2009 at 09:44 PM. Reason: make title a question

Re: Any Recipes for Shovel-Nose Ray/Shark?

The skin becomes very soft if you cook it and can be peeled off relatively easy.

They skin pretty easily if you have a good sharp knife. The fillet is basically triangular in cross section with skin down two sides and flesh where you cut along the backbone. Lie the fillet on one of the sides with a skin side down and run the knife from the tail end cutting off the skin on that side. Then roll the fillet onto the remaining skin side and do the same again. You need a good sharp knife because when taking the first strip of skin off you have to cut through the skin for the whole length of the fillet.
    Of all the sharks and rays that I've tried they are the best eating by far.
    Note that under the new regulations coming in March you will only be able to keep one!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Thanks guys, I will give the filleting a go.

Thanks for the tip, Freedom, about the new bag limit. I have just moved away from Byron Bay, where it is completely banned from taking rays and sharks from the Marine Park

Cheers

H-L-S

Totally off topic but how big was he?

Tom

Freeedom,

I just sharpened my filleting knife, and followed your instructions. Got two nice fillets effortlessly.

Thanks again

H-L-S

Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post
    Totally off topic but how big was he?

Tom

Average size mate, about 750 - 800 mm

Cheers