Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knots - Braid to Mono Leader

Knots - Braid to Mono Leader

Hey

Just starting to fish with Braid ( I know.. I am slow.. )

What would you recommend as the best knot to join Braid to a Mono Leader.

Let the debate begin..

Cheers,
    Steve

Re: Knots - Braid to Mono Leader

I use a uni-uni, pretty simple. Probably better knots out there but its never let me down.

Debate begin??? Bit late on that Steve!!
    This has been tossed around so much, here for ages. Do some searches and there is heaps of stuff on this subject, especially in Freshwater with the boys tying 30-50lb braid to big mono leaders like 60-80lb.
    And also in other threads on Saltwater.
    I settled on either the Slim Beauty, Albright or the Surgeons. I use 4kg braid with about the same weight flurocarbon for SPs, and 50lb Fins braid to 80lb Black Magic for the barra rigs, always the Slim Beauty for these heavy rigs and have never been let down.
    Cheers
    Flatzie.

reckon its about what you can tie successfully, no good doing the worlds greatest knot known to man if you can only tie it every 2nd/3rd attempt etc.

my experience, i went from mono to braid, and it was all about bimini twists, well I hated tying bimini twists etc, still do and tried most other knots out there and frustrated went back to mono.

recently tried braid again and looked for a simple idiot proof knots i could do, for me i found
    a: smaller braids to leaders, uni to uni and i can tie it
    b: heavier braids, 50 plus to heavier leaders, slim beauty ( good through the guides using heavier lines) and i can tie them

Most importantly i can get my head around these knots,

No doubt a lot will say, bimini twists, easy, good luck for them, i hate the things, im not a contortionist.

mike
    Tangles KFC

No biminis or doubles for me, just a straight Allbrite for all my braid to leader connectons, with a dab of super glue on the barra gear (30& 50 bionic to 80 Penn 10X leader) just to make sure. I wet the ends of my fingers and "roll" the wet super glue into the knot, smooths out the allbrite and takes out a bit of the clunkiness going thru the guides. Never had one let go yet.

For me its the blood knot I have attached a link for your viewing.

http://www.animatedknots.com/bloodkn...matedknots.com

Cheers

Ray

Albright or Improved Albright. They are easy to tie and strong.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...imp_albrt.html

Yeah improved albright does me for estuary and River.

Just check it every now and then as they can hit the runners and can wear especially with light braid.

My rod has especially wide runners for the purpose of acommodating knots, somthing to think about when going into soft plastics, oversize runners are good.

cheers

I use the double uni for all my leader applications and never ever had one fail. 4lb-10mono easy, 50lb-100lb mono, no dramas. Though as others have said when using a heavier line it is a bit bulky, but bulky or not, it is the strongest and easiest to tie for me by far so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I use the simple Albright knot, you can search it in google to learn how to do it. Never had problems, I use this knot for lure fishing and maybe a few bait fishing situations.

Tom

Does anyone tie the gw twisted leader knot in heavier leader, looks easy.. i think even i cound tie it,i tie a bimini then a gt roll knot?? takes about two minutes all up but the twisted leader knot looks easy as.

I thought I had the answer with the improved Albright only to have two fail me today losing very good fish on 24kg gear . I was using 65lb Whiplash with 80lb Black Magic mono leader. In both cases the braid part of the knot was left on the line. I was even using a Bimini double as the Whiplash looked so thin

Back to the drawing board
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Double uni for me, with at least twice the turns on the braid. i usually have to tie it twice or 3 times till i am happy with the way the knot is sitting, but i have never had one let go.

I also use whiplash (80 lb) onto black magic supple and tough trace, up to 100 lb.

Albrights have routinely let me down, and always on a good fish. Maybe I didn't do it right, but I find a badly tied double uni is stronger than a good albright.

Cheers

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Horse View Post
    I thought I had the answer with the improved Albright only to have two fail me today losing very good fish on 24kg gear . I was using 65lb Whiplash with 80lb Black Magic mono leader. In both cases the braid part of the knot was left on the line. I was even using a Bimini double as the Whiplash looked so thin

Back to the drawing board

Slim Beauty.

Braid straight through to leader,
    (unless you need to have a twisted leader, then you have to tie a double).

14 wraps up, 12 wraps back.

This one may already have been done but my mate has been mucking round with it, its just a slim beauty variation i think,fig 8 knot part the same,just a folded double thru the fig8 as per normal but just tie a locked blood knot. Seems to come up ok,have fished a couple trips. Sttill not loving the fig8 part of the knot,the gt or roll knot is still neater for me or the double uni. Goin to give the twisted leader knot a go,cant hurt to broaden ones horizons