Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knots - Braid to Mono Leader

Re: Knots - Braid to Mono Leader

Fishing for black bass & barra in png I always used the albright.
    I fished with 20kg YGK Jigman main line and either good quality 60lb mono or 50lb Seaguar fluerocarbon as the leader.

The albright for me was always 20 wraps up (slowly & carefully) and another 20 wraps back down - keeping everything snug & tidy. Lube the knot & squeeze it when tightening and if it don't look right - tie it again.

I caught loads of barra & good size black bass in png between 2004 & 2008 and that knot never let me down - not even once. Sometimes I used the same leader, with the original knot for a whole weekend's fishing.

I made the leader the exact length so the knot would stop just before it came onto the reel & measured the rest of the leader so the lure would hang the exact distance for comfortable casting.

The leader length varied according to the length of the rod but on average the leader was about 1.5 metres for a 5'6" baitcast rod. The knot always went through the runners no probs when casting.

I had tried using the bimini double but didn't like it as it all seemed too knotty & cluttered at the business end of the line. I also tried wind-on leaders and those yu-beaut twisted mono ones but I always went back to the albright.

So until it does let me down (& touchwood it don't) , I'll keep using the albright and keep recommending it.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Ok well,
    iv been tying geoff wilsons twisted leader knot for an hour this morning,and at first i wasnt trhilled with the look of the knot. its easy to tie but just didnt look great.then when i tried to break it it sort of all snugged down with the leader tag end facing the right way to go thru the runners when casting. goin to give it a test run on some fish this arv hopefullly. I tied it on 20lb fireline and 30lb jinkai. Hope this helps.

Hmmm. uni-uni for me. Easy and neat.

Have used the Albright and Double Uni but in lighter line classes when tying "on the water" in a hurry I now have gone to the GW Twisted Leader Knot after a mate put me onto it.

I will often still tie other knots pre-fishing, but tie this one out there in the boat if i get busted up and it's a piece of cake, i hate tying and re-tying knots on the water trying to get them right and the winds blowing the boat around etc.....

Cheers

Mick.

Just before christmas I bought some wind-on leaders of various breaking strains. I always use a Bimini Twist at the end of my braid and thought that it would be a good, quick way of changing leader if and when I needed.
    I havent used them yet, has anyone had any experience with them?

I use the yucatan knot, easy to tie and have not had any problems with it.

I use a spiders hitch to tie the double in the braid.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...s_yucatan.html

Harro's Knoted Dogs are also handy to use.

Luc

Uni-uni for me too, easy and has never let me down..

Wat about knots for Fireline to mono.. ive got this problem at the moment with 6lb Fire to 6lb mono,, the fireline cuts through it like a hot knife through butter. i usually do uni's but i find i have to double up the fireline so i doesnt cut.. are there any other knots i should try?