53. You may not vote on this poll
  • tierra

20 37.74%
  • stradic

33 62.26%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: which reel?, stradic or tierra.

Re: which reel?, stradic or tierra.

so do you think a symetre is the equivelent of the tierra?.
    symetre is your basic entry level reel for your intended style of fishing imo.
    Proberly equal to the daiwa Regel.

tierra is more along the lines of the stradic.
    all this selection process is to get you your moneys worth with your alocated budget for the outfit (or reel in this case).

if size is your worry at this point in time go with what YOU would feel comfortable with. if the you think i might come unstuck fishing some of the areas you would with a 1500.. push up to 2000 which is a very versitile size. IMO i think a 2500 might be abit big and you could be coming back telling yourself that it feels slighty unbalanced of such a light rod.
    even if you take your rod in to your local and fit the reel/reels your looking at just to get a better feel for things.

matt.

I have new Stradic 2500, new Tierra 2000 and cannot part them, but the feel of the Stradic, both drag and wind, is better to me. I also just purchased a new Symetre 4000 after a serious look at everything in the Daiwa and Shimano range. At $149 and with a 7kg max drag, it is an impressive reel for the money.

One day I might even get to use them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vector View Post
    so do you think a symetre is the equivelent of the tierra?.

thanks dary live + everyone
    no. i own a tierra 4000 and a Stradic 1000 chalk and cheese in size but i feel the Daiwa is a better product,smooth,top drag solid feel,truck like as opposed to the little Shimano and as we know the Stradic is suposidly a better product than a Symetre.Would like to put the Daiwa up against a 4000 Stradic to get a better comparison but if i was given the choice of the two for free sight unseen i would run with the Daiwa.
    Cheers
    Reidy

well i got a tierra for 175 posted to aus, pretty happy with the price, cheapest locally is 270. just gotta wait a week or so now

$170 It seems I may have been ripped!

Lets know what you think of it.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

I have had both reels, and now i have the stradic.

The teirra was good for a while, but after use it became a little less refined.
    The stradic has been used a lot harder and its as smooth ast eh day bought.
    I have the 1000 size and it has handed trevelly to 55cm, a few big flattys, a few queenie, and all the bream ect.

On the topic of totally wash proof, no no. Even if you tighten the drag up heaps, water still gets into ANY reel! Use a chuks with warm water and wash of gear, then take the spool of and clean the water that gets inside (yes, water can even get inside when using chuks) and re-grease drag ect.

IMO if want a reel that can last buy a stradic

G'day stotty,
    Whats happened to your Tierra to make it less refined.Just interested
    Cheers
    Reidy

Quote Originally Posted by .:::stotty:::. View Post
    I have had both reels, and now i have the stradic.

The teirra was good for a while, but after use it became a little less refined.
    The stradic has been used a lot harder and its as smooth ast eh day bought.
    I have the 1000 size and it has handed trevelly to 55cm, a few big flattys, a few queenie, and all the bream ect.

On the topic of totally wash proof, no no. Even if you tighten the drag up heaps, water still gets into ANY reel! Use a chuks with warm water and wash of gear, then take the spool of and clean the water that gets inside (yes, water can even get inside when using chuks) and re-grease drag ect.

IMO if want a reel that can last buy a stradic
    I have found the same with my SOL, The line roller bearing is noisy, i get water intrusion into the drag and it becomes sticky, and to me the pinion bearing does not feel as smooth as it once did. My stradic however still feel as good as when i bought it and it too has had more use then the SOL, The daiwa seems to be a nicer reel out of the box but if i was buying again i would probably go the stradic it has been faultless.

With the shimano I think the warranty is a bit misleading when it says 10 years.
    Reading it they cover the reel against defects in materials and/or faulty workmanship.
    Which indicates it only has one year for full repairs.
    Have a look for yourselves and see if I’m reading that right.

http://www.shimanofish.com.au/publis..._Services.html

My teiira was not put through any work than it should not of been, breaming ect

My mate also has a sol, had it has also become less refined.

Both my shimano (stradic and calais bc) are as good as new.

No doubt the current talk is representative of both brands... Daiwa are far smoother out of the box but do not wear well, they do have bearing issues and generally lose thier overall smoothness quite quickly....

Shimano are decent out of the box and stay decent for longer. They wear a lot better than Daiwas..

In saying this i still buy both brand reels. I cant decide what i like best...the initial smoothness or the longevity!!! But neither have both.
    For fishing reports, fishing info, new techniques and fishing news read;
    Savvy Fishing Blog

i have a shimano symetre 2500 matched to a 7'2" 2-4kg rod (perfect match) that i bought 2 1/2 yrs ago. its my goto reel
    has caught everything from whiting right upto 7kg mac tuna with the drag screaming so hard it should have been smoking. still cant fault it and havent even began to start thinkin of buying aother 2500 size reel yet. not bad for $115 IMO! tho when it does come time to buy another the 2500 stradic will have a better look in than the daiwa tierra!

no reply here is gonna make up your mind its to 50/50. there both good reels,with good reps. you'll just have to take your rod in to your local match'm up and see what feels best for you!
    cheers JAYVEE

I just bought a Symetre 2500FJ for $139 to go on a TCurve 2-5kg and have loaded it up with 6lb Fireline Crystal and it feels fantastic. I also own a TD Sol and although it's a better reel it not double the price better.

PlasticFantastic

I originally owned a tierra altough i noticed the handle wouldnt tighten up and had a clunk when you wound , also lost its amazing smoothness really quickly and the gears were slightly grinding, I took it back to BCF and traded it in for a stradic fi 2500.
    Ever since i bought it the stradic has been great and has allready landed nice salmon,trout and redfin.

The stradic would definetly be my choice if i needed a new one!

cheers sam

I also own a Symetre 2500FJ, it's on a 7'2, 2-4kg rod and has caught some nice queenies and tuna to 6kg. The reel and it's drag has maintained it's smoothness since i brought it and i rate it highly. Not that expensive either.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"