Thread: General Fishing help/Tips

General Fishing help/Tips

hi all,
    I grew up in land nsw fishing in dams and rivers caught fish all the time and had fun, I have been living on the GC for a few years now and I am begining to think I am doing something wrong, the last 6-7 times I have been fishing each time for over 2 hours I have caught nothing, I have tried Currumbin Creek Tallebudgera and some local esturies, I have used pilchards, worms, squid and Lures (bass minnows mainly)
    I am buggered if I know whats going wrong but I cant get anything, I have fished normally 4:00pm onwards.

Any salt water tips are appreciated (use a small spinning setup with fireline)

Re: General Fishing help/Tips

Dont give up on Tally and Currumbin Creeks.
    They dont fist at all well this time of year with all the boat traffic.
    Early mornings and late at night well after the last boats have left is the best time to fish.
    Early morning is worth a shot in the small Bay area in Tally Creek near the fenced off swimming area. Trevs and some decent Bream hunt the area. You will see the Trevs busting up.
    On the turn of the tide when the water has slowed, walf the bank in either Creek leading to the mouth hopping small plastics or even drifting a pillie
    I have not fished Currumbin much but there are still plenty of fish in Tally Creek

Hi

outgoing tide at morning and night is a good bite time, to flick a few hard bodie lures like an sx40 or switchblade also softplastics like nuke chook minow and lime tiger flicked at these times around structure like bridges jettys, oyster beds also river mouths and canal mouths on outgoing tide ect.

I also suspect those areas get hit pretty hard, so fish where other people dont or where they might not think to try.

just a few little tips

cheers

Here are some " general fishing tips " located here on Ausfish on the headings across the top of every page under ( Hints & Tips ).

http://www.ausfish.com.au/info.shtml

As for your current situation fishing the estuaries of Qld, choose your fishing times in accordance with the tides. Choose live bait, blood / mud worms are by far the best. Fish in the quieter times... late at night. Fish the ' fishey ' areas, sandbanks, weed banks, drop offs, structure etc.

Buy Bush'n'Beach fishing magazine from your local newsagent and read " Wayne Youngs " reports on estaury fishing.

For whiting it's a personal choice, but I use a 10ft 3 wrap rod with 6lb mono, 1 - 2 meters of leader, enough lead to stay anchored and a no 6 or 4 short shank Sealy hook. and the old Alvey is by far the best, but a nice little smooth bait runner can do the job nicely.

I use a similar setup for the bream, maybe a tad heavier mono and larger hook and utilize foul gut as a bait and berley. And fish for bream on Black nights.

Check out some of the reports in " Estuary, beach, bay and river ". Some really good fishoes there telling how it's done.

Cheers phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Go and see Smithy at boatshed bait and tackle at Currumbin. He will give you some advice on Currumbin.

I fish both creeks and have had most success on smallish hardbodies. (mainly under 6cm) But use much larger lures when targeting jacks .

Cheers

Nick