Thread: 30lb braid for sealine bull 6000

30lb braid for sealine bull 6000

looking for a 30lb braid to fill the spool of a 6000 sealine bull and the average prices? I have one spooled with 20lb platypus platinum mono and am after braid for spinning slugs.

Cheers, Mick.

Re: 30lb braid for sealine bull 6000

I wouldn't use braid for spinning mate, the braid gets wind knots when casting the lure hard. If you're looking to cast the lure around 50metres, you'll only reach 30metres with the braid because you can't cast as hard as you can with mono. Use 20lb mono as you have and the other with maybe 30lb for another purpose.

Tom

Sorry tailorboi99 i dont agree with your last post. I spin of the rocks at Ballina as much as i can ( 2 - 3 times a week +). I only use braid for spinning. Try 90m+ for braid ( Then add some if you have a wind behind you ) and 60m + for mono . I have seen it many times with guy using mono and me using braid. 84 Mick, at the moment i am using 14lb Fireline and 30lb Fins to toss 40g up to 75g metals. I prefer the 14lb as its cheap, casts an absolute mile and so far has handled Tailor just a tad over 4kg no probs in fact i have never been busted off. Just use the right drag setting. I have never had a wind knot with the 14lb Fireline either. I rarely use the 30lb apart from fishing around really rocky areas or places i may get a bit tangled on the rocks. I have had wind knots using 30lb. I found that i was over filling the spool and was not casting with a smooth action. Also as the Fins ages it casts better with less knots. I have also found Sunline Super Braid ( The green one ) to be excellent. The only other thing is to consider is if you really need 30lb. Most braids break well above stated specs. Just depends on what you are chasing.
    Cheers
    Scott

Thanks deepfried, the 30lb is probably more of an all rounder from spinning LT's to live baiting for jew. Whats the biggest spools of fireline? 300 yards? I dont want to use backing on it, just straight braid. Ive only been to BCF and they dont stock big bulks of braid except some kind of jigging braid (colour intervils of 10m I think)

Cheers, Mick.

Hey Mick, I was in A Mart shop the other day and they were spooling up fireline, fins & stren by the yard ... might be the way to go rather than guessing how much will go on.

Matt

I think you can get it in a few spool sizes up to 1000 yards. Try Mo. If you have a look at Mo they have a good selection and if you cant decide give them a call. I have found their service very good. By the way i havent used Fireline in 30lb but i would guess it works well. You should get other replies from others that would know more about that line class than me for what you are using it for.
    I have a few reels spooled with braid with no backing. What i have done is wrap electrical tape as tight as i can a couple of times around the spool. Then when i start filling the spool with the braid i put as much tension on the line as i can for the first few cranks. This cuts the braid into the lecky tape and there is no way it will slip.
    Cheers
    Scott

Thanks guys, the lecky tape is a good idea. I'll have a look at mo now and see what they have.

Cheers, Mick.

fins isnt that badly priced and for what your after will do the job

G'day Scott.

I also spin off the North Wall and would be interested to hear what rod and reel combos you use.

Best regards, Rob.
    Ballina.

Hi Rob
    I am using a Shimano Tirelejo 11' and Diawa Catalina 4500h. 14lb Fireline on 1 spool and 30lb Fins on another. I am currently tossing up the idea of buying a smaller outfit like 5000 size reel and 9' to 10' rod. Just not sure what yet or if i can spare the $$.

Have you had much luck lately.

Scott

G'day mate!

Havn't fished seriously for a few weeks a s I've had rellies from the UK staying.

My gear for lures/Spinning is as follows:

MT8144Snyder and Daiwa Opus Bull 6000/30lb mono OR (latest buy) Penn 850 and 50lb braid for the Jewies.

Banax iso3000 and 17lb mono with a Wilson FSU4120 for general spinning (a bit of a plank and difficult to cast lighter lures with).

Would be good to meet up at some point to throw some lures.

Regards, rob.

PS. Ignore my other latest post on the other thread. Had just opened beer and brain not in gear.

Hi Rob,
    I might of bumped into on north wall a few months back. It was a pom i spoke to may of been you. No offence with the pom stuff my wifes parents are poms. Hope your a rugby fan, just dont mention the last 2 world cups.
    I am hoping to go on Thursday off Black head or around that area. Usually around 6ish until dark. let me know if your keen. I will get out over the weekend as well to catch some of the late high tides. Have done well lately using poppers in close to the stones. Fish up to 3.5Kg and have dropped some much bigger. Esp Sunday morning of north wall.
    I would be keen to see how your FSU4120 goes. I have an FSU5120 that i never use and was looking at the 4120. Might reconsider.
    Cheers
    Scott

Sounds good Scott.

My brother in law is visiting from the UK until Saturday.....at which point I go up to the Goldie to visit an old mate from the UK. Will try to get in some fishing for bullies and a bit of a crab while I'm there.

Back next Wednesday evening. Will PM you when I get back. I'm relatively new to lure fishing and would be very interested to fish with you. Have made a number of poppers (that have caught a few small to medium tailor) and some jewie lures that swim well but have yet to produce the goods.

Hope to meet up in the next week or two. I'm a teacher at Skennar's Head and am on holiday for a few weeks yet.

regards, rob.

Now worries Rob. Get in touch when you get back and we will catch up. Good luck with the bullies and crabs up at the Goldie.

Cheers
    Scott