Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wellington point reserve master plan

Re: Wellington point reserve master plan

Hi all

I followed up this matter this week with Cr Boglary.

She asked me to let everyone know that she has been making strong representations thru the Council processes about the issues we've raised here re the boat preparation area, and as a result is confident they will be resolved. She is confident that changes are being made to the plans that will satisfy boaties needs.

Basically, this means that the prep area will be back as it is now (straight-on) and the radius of corners as you enter and leave the ramp itself will be widened considerably. Also trying to relocate the pedestrian crossing. So this aspect of the design will be as good or better than they are now.

That will be a really good outcome for us and I've spoken to some very senior Council officers who are also keen fishos and they confirmed that following all our efforts, including Cr Boglary's representations and Ron's article and all the e-mails etc flying in, that this is being sorted. The consulting designers are not back from leave yet but re-drafting instructions are waiting for them!

This will be a really good outcome and Ron and all others have been real forces to make the change happen. Top effort everyone, including Cr Boglary for taking up the charge.

There are still some people telling Cr Boglary they are concerned about the overall plans for Wello Pt. I reckon we need to save our efforts for the components that clearly and directly impact on us going fishing and making this ramp a useable and user friendly facility. That's where us boaties have real knowledge and can best contribute. We can win those arguments as this has shown based on this expertise.

ML

I will be very interested to see what the "new " plans look like.

Hmm.. so this is being let out to consultants......figures.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

#42 I made a suggestion for a pontoon also. Won't hold my breath tho.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

Considering there is a jetty with a low water platform available for use ( once the repairs are finished) I think the chances of a pontoon are very slim indeed.

A few truck loads of sand either side of the ramp would be a realy good think though.

cheers

Tried the sand thing.

Even got a call back from the bloke in the transport dept who is in charge of all the ramps in Qld.
    Therein is the problem. All the ramps and not much dinero.

Rod
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

I rasied the issue of a bucket by bucket campaign for down there a while ago.

everytime we put in at that ramp take a bucket of sand from over the other side and drop it by the ramp. A few of us doing that & we would have a nice sand bar in no time at all.

cheers

I stumbled onto a meeting at wello the other day involving Cr bolgary and Phill weightman Mp for cleveland. long story.

But the upshot is this.

seems the " master plan" is still proceeding in some form....the engineers are still dragging their feet with the new plans.

the rigging area now remains straight on to the ramp. the old sailing club ramp ( the little single) will remain but not have road access.
    The pedestrian and bike way acrss the top of the boat ramp is off and has been acknoweledeged as stupid.

They still want to reverse the traffic directionarround the boat ramp......why I have no idea.....any body with half a brain knows that an anticlockwise loop produces trafic conflict.

They are going to take 4 of the cosest car and boat parks and put up pickinic shelters right next to the boat ramp.
    this I think is stupidity because it introduces pedestrian traffic and children to the boat ramp area.
    Apart from the fact that with a souester blowing the only way to keep your fried chook on the table would be to nail it there

There are veiled threats of gates somewhere closing off part of the boat ramp area to "keep hoons out".....further stupidity.

Cr bolgary has done quite a bit of work on this but the fact remains the "New Master Plan" has many completly ill concieved parts that are completly impractical.

Cr Bolgary is getting sick of hearing about this.......I don't think sick enough.

As I have said before....the current lay out has proven to be practical and does not require revision....some minor amendments and some serious maintenance definitely, but whay are they trying to fix something that isnt broken.

As for works already arranged.
    The replacement of the retaing sea wall has been tendered and will soon be underway.
    This is long overdue as the existing wall went up in the sixties and has bits falling off it inplaces

....the plan aparantly is to construct the new wall infront of the existing and fill the space in between.....

The claim is that this is safer because of uncertainty of the composition of the fill behind the old wall.

It is plan and obvious this is because they do not have to bear the cost of demolishing and removing the old wall.

Aparantly the new wall will be "Peach" in colour...... ......how long it will remain that colour is anybodies guess.......I recon it will be a great canvas for grafiti till it gets a good growth of mould.

What goes on on land is basicly council responsibilty.

now the boat ramp it self is state responsibility.

The issue of sand was raised with the state MP, and his view was that it was a sensible and cheap thing to do...even if it needed topping up ocasionaly.

Various issues concerning the practicality of the ramp particularly for larger prittier vessels were raised such as depth of the channel and the profile of the main ramp toward its end.

dredging of the northern ramp was raised....where it will go is anybodies guess.

Considering the retaining wall will be renewed all the way arround the point, revision and refurbishment of the ramps is going to be a necessary.

The possibilty of a pontoon was raised... but I am not hopefull.

It was not discussed but ...I note that the repairs to the jetty have not yet involved replacement of the low level landings or anything that makes the jetty usefull for boating....I note that the front piles have been replaced but nothing further.

the fitting of a pontoon to the front of the jetty may be a posibility... but is it ideal?

anyway

If you have views on these matters grab the ear of one of these representatives and give it a twist.

Wendy Bolgary's details are in the original post

Phill Weightman Labour Member for Cleveland
    Phone 3286 2726

email cleveland@parliment.qld.gov.au

or take your ear spanner down to 19 waterloo st cleveland.

If these arent your local member, bend their ears too.

cheers

Great work Ron/Shane you got my support #50, hope this works out in the end..

regards sam...