Thread: Maclay Island

Maclay Island

Hi all,

Luckily, my grandparents are taking me with them to a trip to maclay island sometime next week, and as I will be there for I while, I'm going to go fishing (of course).

I don't know the island very well, but, I will be land based (taking a Bike) and will bring a heavy rod and a soft plastics rod.

Does anyone know of any half decent land based spots (doesn't have to be spot X), along with which lures/ live bait would most likely work?

Thanks all and of course: Merry Christmas

snagking
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Re: Maclay Island

I would look at the SW corner. There is deep water close to the shore
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I generally prefer to target flatties, bream and whiting, with poppers a favourite, along with sp's, and will most likely buy bait/ catch my own as well.

Anyone else?

snagking
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG

Around from the point is a jetty that is surrounded with nigger heads. I guess at the right tide and with some burley might see you do OK at night or early morning. There is also another jetty on the point that goes out to some serious rocks with heaps of ledges. Might be good for some flat plastics early in morning. I have caught some monster bream in the shallows at night on a full moon. There used to be some jetties down the eastern sides that I used to get a heap of bream and flathead and mud crabs early in the evening as the tide moved up from dead low. I never have fished the western side though. Oh I caught a 78cm flathead around from the point towards the iron stem at night. Best I can do for you but think fish and you should do well.

Thanks Sharkymark, Looks like I might have to look into that.

Are you talking about the jetty next to the boat ramp/ barge, or the ones that are further north?

Also, are the jetties open for public use, because I don't really want to go trespassing

Thanks for the help

snagking
    I Fish, I catch, I SNAG