Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prawns in freezer for human consumption

Prawns in freezer for human consumption

Can some one tell me what is the freezer life of eatable prawns before they go past their use by date.

Re: Prawns in freezer for human consumption

I guess as long as the freezer is "freezing" (like as in really minus degrees) they will last for months, I have seen the Imported Prawns with a use by date well into 2009 and that was in Feb this year.

Those imported prawns I suspect are soaked in metasulphate....just short of embalming fluid, it's always good to see our regulators looking after the kids.

I would eat them after 6 months in a healthy freezer, still a person would like to know the treatment they received before sale, if they are home caught so I knew their management then longer...still they would make some good bait regardless, so not a total waste of resources (money).

cheers fnq

nothing would surprise what they are soaked in, to prolong their shelf life! I have a mate in the Industry at Mooloolaba, I could ask him how long, just for interest sake.

OK, for FRESH cooked, 6 months in a home freezer easy, and in commercial, up to 12 months no probs, add nuclear waste (joke) and for years if you like, but we have regulations that need to be adhered to, unlike Thailand and so on.

I was just told of a tiny loophole in the Laws, they can feeze them green, then cook them months later and that is then the "process date" and you could technicaly sell them as "fresh" and indeed some do! pretty sneaky huh!

Bait shops selling fresh prawns often use borax in the water to stop the heads turning black, I do not know if borax is edible though.
    Jack.

small quantities of Borax would be OK, not too sure I would like a big dose though, but it may be safe enough.

best way to freeze them is in salt water when the defrost they are salty not tastless like some you buy 3-6 months

shane

Quote Originally Posted by robersl View Post
    best way to freeze them is in salt water when the defrost they are salty not tastless like some you buy 3-6 months

shane
    I believe if you freeze them without the water their cell walls break and then you'll get them a little mushy. If you freeze them in water (salt for a great taste) the cells don't get as much of a chance to expand. Sorry haven't got any scientific paper to back my case.
    Cheers

I forgot that i had these which are a year old and stored in a tucker box style freezer not a fridge/freezer..what you think..eat them or bait?

How many have you got ,I'm sure a few of us could give up a bit of our time and come round to give our opinion on their taste .

Ps ... What sort of beer have you got .

As long as they are well sealed and don't have "freezer burn" they should be alright .

Buggerit

HAve a Happy and Safe Christmas

6months easy, borax is ok in very small doses, defrost prawns in water and brown sugar to give there tast back.
    WIVES CANT LIVE WITH EM, BUT SURE CAN FISH WITHOUT EM.

If you stick them into water to defrost they will rejuvenate. After draining well stick into fridge to dry them and then coat with flour and spices and fry in fry pan. Suck the heads and legs under the head eat the legs under the prawn yum yum yum. If you want my secret recipe of herbs and spices it might cost you a few of those beers. .

They'll be alright to eat. Best freezing method i recon is to add a small had full of rock salt for every kilo and freeze them green. Frozen green then cooked and eaten strait away is much better than thawed cooked prawns......

P.S. ONLY EAT AUSSIE PRAWNS!

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.