Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

Hi all
    Time to be a little controversial.

Now .... with the capture of larger impoundment barra & the question being asked "Is it time to rethink the metery?" - I'd like to pose the question
    "Does trolling count ?"

I ask this based on my observation at Monduran last month - I noticed that there seemed to be an almost blase attitude around the camp ground (listening to camp kitchen chat) - Plenty of big (110-125cm) barra were being trolled up in the main basin ...... though not too much caught casting -
    additionally & what promted me .... In my travels yesterday - I was shown piccys (on a IPOD type thingy) of 4 barra over 1.2M & 1 at 1.36M all taken during a recent trip to Kinchant & Faust ...... & all on the troll - & what got me was once again the "Oh hum" type of response ..... so matter of fact no real big deal .... do it all the time !
    Now .... not wanting to denigrate those that troll for barra - But, Lets face it - a meter + barra caught in the main basin on the troll - just doesn't quite cut it when compared to one caught casting .........
    So am I wrong to feel this way ??? (it's not jealousy or elitism - either > I think ) Whats your thoughts ???

cheers

Chris

PS ..... My first meter barra was caught trolling
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

Why not??? It is a form of fishing....

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post

To me & my way of thinking it doesn't present the same challenges! .

In golf terms an equivalent would be shooting a even par 72 off the plates on medal day Vs a 72 off the social tees ( both are great scores ....... but one is a significantly more meritorious result)

I would also say the same about a fly caught metery ...... a better capture still

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Oh crap mate what have you done "Does Trolling Count"

Well yes it is a form of fishing and yes My current Pb was a trolled up fish and yes it is just no where near as rewarding as the one that was a cm shorter taken in the sticks the day before but... A PB is a pb no matter what were why it was caught.... I agree with the trollers as it is a form of fishing and some take all things into considderation when driving around , other's well its pot luck but realy fishing in all sence is a good part of luck.

A fish in the sticks is sporting and makes the Angler think long and hard about his attack stratergy and still gets stitched up.. All the gear and know how in tight timber wont help you bring a big fish boat side..... A trolled fish well yes it's a great feeling all the same but no where near the reward once released.. After a day casting I feel forfilled and like I have been fishing and loved every second on the water, but remember there are some who simply cant stand and cast some with injury or conditions and trolling is there only option so in that sence it is just as rewarding to them.....

Should a trophy sailfish trolled up count or just one of the ones caught on a fly rod????

Good stuff but your going to cop a bit here mate I would say???

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Oh crap mate what have you done "Does Trolling Count"

Well yes it is a form of fishing and yes My current Pb was a trolled up fish and yes it is just no where near as rewarding as the one that was a cm shorter taken in the sticks the day before but... A PB is a pb no matter what were why it was caught.... I agree with the trollers as it is a form of fishing and some take all things into considderation when driving around , other's well its pot luck but realy fishing in all sence is a good part of luck.

A fish in the sticks is sporting and makes the Angler think long and hard about his attack stratergy and still gets stitched up.. All the gear and know how in tight timber wont help you bring a big fish boat side..... A trolled fish well yes it's a great feeling all the same but no where near the reward once released.. After a day casting I feel forfilled and like I have been fishing and loved every second on the water, but remember there are some who simply cant stand and cast some with injury or conditions and trolling is there only option so in that sence it is just as rewarding to them.....

Should a trophy sailfish trolled up count or just one of the ones caught on a fly rod????

Good stuff but your going to cop a bit here mate I would say???
    Mate .... I threw it out there knowing that I'm going to get smashed " Hence the being controversial"
    PBs are PBs ..... That's all there is to that ...... its your own!
    People that troll ...... for what ever reason Injury , age , lazy , inexperienced etc ..... its all good - They are fishing
    But lets face it (& be realistic)........ its not the same. .. I have a chuckle to my self when someone tells me it is........ having caught meteries both way

Chris

PS - I'll say it again - no disrespect to those that troll

PPS - As for game fish (sailfish marlin etc) - they have line classes to distinguish merit ...... & there is a separate category for fly
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think trolling counts after all our most famous barra comps in Australia are held in the NT and you are allowed to troll. It is just the Lake anglers who have been sucked into the Americian bass sytle fishing and comps that say trolling is not a true way of anglering.

Twitch, Twitch
    Foxie

there is no comparison between a cast metery and a trolled metery, but it is all down to personal preferance, personally i disregard a mates metery if it is on the troll, only casting is counted in my boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Magella View Post
    I think trolling counts after all our most famous barra comps in Australia are held in the NT and you are allowed to troll. It is just the Lake anglers who have been sucked into the Americian bass sytle fishing and comps that say trolling is not a true way of anglering.

Twitch, Twitch
    Foxie
    Foxy ...... They troll up in the NT - because if they stop , a big F'n Croc will eat em
    mate .... you cant tell me that casting into a horrible snag (I mean structure .... sorry Trev ) & getting smashed - doesn't get the old adrenalin goin .......
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post

hahaha, you just had to comment didn't you Bob. Dont worry mate, you fish in the sticks at Kinchant. There is a stick stuck in the dam wall and another on the bank which Bob told us to troll backwards and forwards

He does get big barra there though

Personally I fish the sticks. I have gone fishless while mates have been out on the basin or belting plastics around the weed getting into fish but I refuse to do so. I have been done by big fish in the timber and I have found that 1 on 1 tug-o-war to be addictive so I want the metery in the sticks.!!!! If I want to play with a fish in open water I will chase Kings in the salt

Twitch, Twitch
    Foxie

Nagg,
    I knew if I'd present it right, add a couple of twitches I would get hammered

Cheers Foxie

Nagg,
    I knew if I'd present it right, add a couple of twitches I would get hammered

Cheers Foxie
    Foxy ..... I'd be the easiest barra to lure
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by whykickacatalong View Post
    hahaha, you just had to comment didn't you Bob. Dont worry mate, you fish in the sticks at Kinchant. There is a stick stuck in the dam wall and another on the bank which Bob told us to troll backwards and forwards

He does get big barra there though

Personally I fish the sticks. I have gone fishless while mates have been out on the basin or belting plastics around the weed getting into fish but I refuse to do so. I have been done by big fish in the timber and I have found that 1 on 1 tug-o-war to be addictive so I want the metery in the sticks.!!!! If I want to play with a fish in open water I will chase Kings in the salt
    & thats just it ........ Sure you can catch huge barra trolling & its quite common
    ........ but a big barra caught in the sticks ..... leaves you in awe
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

caught in the main basin on the troll -
    I don't have a main basin. 'cept perhaps the one in the on suite but the boat wont fit?? So I have to troll in the river when its the best option and cast when that's the better option.

As I've said before trolling up barras can become as much as a contact sport as casting when you put the effort in. Likewise you can put the brain in neutral and cast to the cows come home if you like.

As long as the fish is caught on a fishing line it counts, one method uses a manual means to drag the lure through the water the other uses a mechanical device.
    If i could troll through the sticks i would.
    Ohh and lets not forget about bait fishing
    Maybe we should seperate diving lures from surface lures allso, even more of an adrenaline rush
    it's never to late to learn
    how to dodge work and go fishing

Chris..

I can see where your coming from, and what your trying to say having done both myself. I have been guilty of 'trolling brigade' bashing (tounge in cheek fo course )from time to time, but I do respect the artform involved from the experts at trolling out there.

My PB salt barra came trolling up the middle of Nerlangi (cant spell) creek in Sth Aligator River NT with a gap between massive fallen trees no wider than 2 boats for a stretch of about 50m. It was an artform to work lures over the submerged stuff at the right time.....then if you hooked up.....keeping it out of the stuff you could see!! ooooh yeah, thats in raging current too. It was easier to tie up and cast, but we wanted the challenge too.

I too have witnessed the aiimless trolling in circles follow the leader style in the basin at Awoonga and Monduran......but in amongst them all is a couple of serious ones trolling contours, droppoffs, weededges and points with a bit of nouce. They get the lions share of fish here and awoonga.

Awoonga used to be my favorite place to troll. we only ever worked 2 points in 14-15 ft max of water and caught multitudes over a 4 year period.....often watching the crowds following each other out in the middle so they wouldnt get weed on there lures...or fish.

So its probably easy to say trolling doesnt count. but some people are experts at it, just like casting or fly....and we dont really notice. Its their choice, and it should count IMHO, especially if they have mastered a specific technique or presentation to catch fish.

A smart caster would be down in the basin casting the same points and dropoffs for the same horse fish!!!

Steve