Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

I agree it's a personal choice thing.

For me personally casting in the sticks is where it's at. I tried trolling a couple of times and in the interest of public safety I avoid doing it (I fall asleep)

Maybe one day when I'm even more old and decrepit than I am now I will have more of an interest in trolling.

I think trolling is a great option when you have little kids in the boat and want to put them on to a barra. My youngest is 4 now and I reckon he's just about ready to take on a fish out in the basin on the troll, I might have to get my older son to drive though due to the falling asleep issue!

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Well ...... I'm clearly off the mark here based on the general consensus

better go crawl under the bed & give myself an uppercut

Chris
    so you should, give yourself one from me too, ,,,not to hard but.. ..

fair question chris, bound to cause some contraversie,, all good fun..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Lyndon's words in our latest book------ goes something along the lines of--------an aboriginal with a spear sneaking up on foot in stealth mode in a crafty way to spear a barramundi in a lagoon- that makes the argument of troll versus cast look like a squashed grape on the bitumen.
    In seconds to that- both my new updated website and the book contains the same article on why cast and troll tactics are equally important in any fishery, barra, salt or fresh. As a guide who focuses on cast and retrieve, I do know the times where casting and jig fishing is inferior to troll fishing at 'select' periods.
    To rate any type of cast or troll tactic as easy ,simple, ho hum type can be true for all forms. To me- many cast captures are dead easy- no real skill required. The same argument applies to both.
    Read the article if anyone is interested. My new site is laid out to assist those with a thirst to improve as anglers. Tonnes to read.
    Merry Christmas to all. I have decided to keep my work on my site in future to keep it easily accessible to interested anglers.
    Cheers,
    Best Wishes,
    Johnny Mitchell www.fishawoonga.com.au

The main point made here by all punching a keyboard is do what ever the bloody hell you want its not a comp it's a passion, if you like the sticks fish them if you troll go troll. Naggs question was a good one and yes a little optimistic but I agree with most it dose not matter... but

I think the question after reading it a bit more is if there was a invisable ladder like say a boat, theres my tinnie a hornet then a skeeter... trolling, casting and fly they all work but you get more satisfaction by moving to the more pracise form...

It's a bit of a laugh....

Nath

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post
    Chris,

This topic was covered in my post just a month ago about PB Barra does it count.

Firstly if its a legally caught fish it counts.

The elitist attitude of a minority of fisherman who think that what they do is better than anyone else is stupid.

Yes, you got a reaction but as above, think about what you post as those people who have been doing it for along time have a lot of knowledge, a lot of what you have learnt has been passed down over the years.

Regards

Trev
    HOLD THE PHONE - STOP THE BOAT RIGHT THERE!!!!

Secondly comments such as above in regard to age, disability etc are discrimatory and should not have been used in that context..
    This comment was made in response to Nath who mentioned that some people may not be able to stand there & cast ...... so trolling might be their only way of fishing for barra ...... additionally it might be a little kid or like my first trip .... through inexperience - I trolled - so please dont pull the discrimination card or insinuate my post reflects any form discrimination .......... because as I said They are all fishing!

Well you better advise all the fisherman in the NT that the fish that they catch in the Barra Classic don't count.
    Isn't the barra classic & nationals invitational events that are basically a piss up for industry types & media personalities ........ Its certainly not the be all & end all in barra fishing

Not impressed with the tone and the way it was put. (Perhaps you are keen to get a lot of posts up, but a bit of thought might have been needed this time)
    Yes I have been fishing for Barra for a few decades and to think just because someone fairly new on the scene, decides that they wish to boas, that their methods are better than other is a load of garbage.
    Personally I dont give a toss about my 4216 posts (& counting) ...... It was an itch that I needed scratched & so I scratched it (I speak my mind) The site would be pretty boring if we just put up the usual type of thread
    ....... I knew outright that It was bound to be controversial & said so ..... I also made it clear that I was not denigrating anyone who trolled - I was looking for what others thought of their personal value of a trolled fish Vs a cast one.
    >>>>>>
    Boasting ...... Hmmm - not really because compared to others her abouts - I have bugger all to boast about - I just love catching barra on a cast lure or plastic......... At no time did I say that my method was better than anything else - & if it was just about catching big fish or numbers ....... I too would start trolling .

With regard to elitism ..... I think not, as casting equates to probably 50% of the popular styles!
    If we were talking fly ..... that would be elitism & .... I will take my hat off to anyone that lands a big fish on fly ....... because that would be a challenge - Maybe next year

Lighten up & have a great Christmas

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

[
    big fish on fly .
    ...... because that would be a challenge - Maybe next year

toga on fly, barra on fly , you busy next year chris....

fair comeback all points covered....

God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

i dont know bloody cockaroachs start a war
    to be honest i dont care how we all catch one achieve the one goal is good for me serantiy hows the seranity in the sticks up the back down the bassin its all good to me no matter the damm i belive each to there own and so long as we all consideer what the other is doing to be equal it dont matter unless ya gaffing them for photos then not impressed

anyway 2 sleeps to the man in the big red coat please bring me a good year of fishing

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    [
    big fish on fly .

Deano ..... you know I plan to be busy !

yep ... gunna take the long wand to catch a Toga ..... just so I can belittle those that catch a Toga on a lure only

Mate ..... Got my goat up

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah fair response Chris. I never found one word of your post or replies discriminatory, as he said he was putting it out there for discussion!!!! Not to intentionally piss people off, just raising a POINT OF VIEW. Is'nt that why we all log on to this site?????? To expand our horizons and learn......Through others point of view???
    Personally i love to cast, but have also caught fish trolling. Woopiddy Doo.
    Its your life...troll if you want, cast if you want...Dont take it all to heart.
    Merry Christmas
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by eotbmg View Post
    Yeah fair response Chris. I never found one word of your post or replies discriminatory, as he said he was putting it out there for discussion!!!! Not to intentionally piss people off, just raising a POINT OF VIEW. Is'nt that why we all log on to this site?????? To expand our horizons and learn......Through others point of view???
    Personally i love to cast, but have also caught fish trolling. Woopiddy Doo.
    Its your life...troll if you want, cast if you want...Dont take it all to heart.
    Merry Christmas
    Ben
    Thanks Ben

I thought I made it pretty clear a few times ....... no denegration intended - just a point of discussion!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Ben

I thought I made it pretty clear a few times ....... no denegration intended - just a point of discussion!

Chris
    And you knew you would cop a bit of flack too which i loved

I WAS JUST THINKING (under the bed)

HEY WITH THE STRONG SUPPORT FOR TROLLING ......... We could turn the Mondy Muster into a trolling event

sorry you guys ....

PS ..... My post count is ticking - keep it going 5000 posts before 2009
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Sounds inviting,
    if we tie all the boats together, i will get Paul Big Ren to play from the Cd player, Ring a Ring a rosie, or Mary had a little lamb might be more fitting
    Having some fun now

Trolling is boring and a absolute waste of my time yes we do it but be 100% true to yourself its bloody boring hand on the throttle arm watch the sounder and hold the rod wow look theres a arch oooh it 4 metres deep no no 5 now oooh theres a bump that looks like bait boring!!!!!!! :huh: :lipsrsealed: :grin: I would rather spear fish for them

Even my mate I took fishing last trip was bored with it and wanted to flick a bit and now went out and bought a new reel to do so and belive me hes not good for stading and casting

Sorry I could not hold it any longer I would rather state my 122 the the one I got trolling so there thats it trollers shmollers, if you want to troll buy a trawler and go get some xmas prawns

Off to find a hole to get in....... take it well guys its all fun

Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    [
    big fish on fly .

Nahhh he needs to get some real rustwater fish on fly for it to count

I'm loving this topic - it's always great to see people passionate about their fishing

Only 2 more big sleeps people!!!! (and only 5 till I hit Mondy with whykickadumbassanimalalong!!!!!)