Thread: Fish Kill

Fish Kill

Hi, a spoke to a friend this afternoon, he fished maroon yesterday afternoon and told me that the were a heap of dead bass floating around the submerged trees to the end of the dam. he was said there would have been a 100 fish easily. all bloated up and eyes really puffed out. does anyone know what may have caused this? Could this have anything to do with the amount of rain its had run into the system? has anyone fished maroon last few days and noticed this?

cheers

smoked
    (when Im dead) my biggest FEAR is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.........

Re: Fish Kill

Not Maroon Also,,,,between Moogerah And Maroon There Having It Tough.....hope Theres No Cod...brett

Might have something to do with the water quality

I was at Maroon on Boxing day afternoon and there was no signs of a fishkill then. The water quality isnt the best with a huge blue/green algae bloom. The fishing was nowhere near like it has been lately either...we found plenty on the sounder, but couldnt get any to chew.

All we got for the day was two little rats and 1 just legal size Golden.

Leigh.

Hi All,
    Maroon normally suffers from this algae bloom every year and with the dam at 62% I would have thought it would handle it better. When the dam was at 15% the green algae was so thick we had green waves from the boat wake. But this didn't seem to affect the fishing. Maybe if they got a sudden in influx of water the bass up the back of the dam were more affected or did our mate mean Moogerah dam. I would be interested in seeing if the are anybody else has seen this as well.
    Cheers
    Jesper

Man

thats not good news. Be good to find out why?

Fitz, heard or seen anything?
    Cheers

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by bass54 View Post
    Hi All,
    Maroon normally suffers from this algae bloom every year and with the dam at 62% I would have thought it would handle it better. When the dam was at 15% the green algae was so thick we had green waves from the boat wake. But this didn't seem to affect the fishing. Maybe if they got a sudden in influx of water the bass up the back of the dam were more affected or did our mate mean Moogerah dam. I would be interested in seeing if the are anybody else has seen this as well.
    Cheers
    Jesper
    Yeah, my mate was talking about maroon dam. mabe low oxygen in the water because of rising water on the banks. i hope it doesnt affect the fishing too much

smoked
    (when Im dead) my biggest FEAR is that my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.........

Hi Smoked

I was up there Boxing Day as well, what I did notice that with a northeaster blowing all of the algae bloom was drifting blowing to the neck of the creek.
    The corner where the creek bends back was absolutely thick with algae bloom.
    This extended all the way up the creek. It was also messy with a stack of chopped up weed from all the ski *%$^ heads.

We did not think much of it at the time but that bend has been firing of recent weeks. Consequently trolled and cast through it and never got a hit.

We got a couple of fish on the other side of the dam. The dam is rising but only a little bit each day. I would think it was enough run in for a fish kill.

But any fish that were up the creek and had to come through a very thick algae bloom of a couple of hundred metres.

Cheers
    Budgebass

I was at maroon earlier in the week & can confirm the fish kill. Approx 100 bass. No other species. All were bloated, looked like they had been dead a few days. Size of fish was between 10cm to mid thirties. Whole dam covered in thick blue/green algae.
    Caught 31cm bass on purple spinnerbait. Very healthy, great fight. Quite a lot of other hits but no hookups. The bass we got was foul hooked under the chin which indicates they were only half interested.

I was up at Maroon on New Years Eve and the bloke at the camping ground told us about the fish kill. He reckons it happened just after a small rise in the water level after the rain. I only saw one dead bass but my mate reckons he saw around 35. The positive side is that it sounds like not too many fish were affected. Nothing like the episode at Moogerah earlier last year.
    Patrick.