Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 140
  1. #76

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    yes i know you do but whitey catchs the biggest lol and on a old reel too( go the abu 6000) still one of the best made ) that you reckon wouldnt hold up how do ya feel chris like that song low low low low ( i reckon thats why ya got to make sure you get a bigger one casting got to beat whitey lol
    i reckon he would even beat ya trolling too
    all serious the winner is fishing isnt it we all love it in all shapes or form please lets not end up like the american with egos beyond control no matter who you are or what you do or who is the best we all end up with the same result
    bad IBD or( loose the state of origin ) lol damm its great being a queenslander
    You are so cruel Simon ...... fancy rubbing my face in it like that!
    My tactic to overcome whitey is keep my mouth shut , letting him drive the leccy when hooked up & to land / net his own fish ...... Ohh but I will tie his knots for him - my old granny showed me a easy one to tie

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  2. #77

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    OK OK ..... we all know that trolling is a popular legitimate method & probably the most effective means of catching barra ..... & big barra too.

    But tell us honestly .... hand on the heart stuff ...... dump the political correctness BS
    Who here seriously considers their trolled up barra to be as rewarding as one that is caught while casting lure / fly (regardless of size) .....

    How many of us have a trolled barra as their PB ???

    This will be interesting

    Chris


    Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra .
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  3. #78

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Hi guys,

    I would have to say that most of my fish caught casting have been more rewarding, its just a personal choice thing (they were pretty good at the time but as times have changed so have my goals). In saying that though the next barra will feel pretty good as it has been a lean year with not enough trips and the last 2 were doughnuts.

    My current pb barra was a trolled fish but I plan to do something about that in 09.

    Cheers,
    Todd.
    Sponsored by;
    Too much work, not enough fishing.
    Other sponsors most welcome.

  4. #79

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Nagg, not having a shot but I believe you're limiting your perception of trolling to too narrow a field, be it one you're familiar with. I think that there a number of different barramundi environments and it'd be a fair call to say that we all may not as familiar with them all as we are with our 'home turf'. I often struggle to visualise impoundment fishing, the differences appear to be legion compared to river fishing.

    To answer your questions




    Who here seriously considers their trolled up barra to be as rewarding as one that is caught while casting lure / fly (regardless of size) .....
    Yes, I do but my question to any one who’d question that choice would be “Why wouldn’t it be, given the situation and the predicament that I and the fish put each other into”.



    How many of us have a trolled barra as their PB ???


    No, my two equal sized PB’s come from live baiting with two others a couple of cms behind behind, one caught on a mullet fillet. After that would come trolling and casting captures with those PB's being of equal size. Once again the situation made all these fish’s capture a challenge, once again best judged by being there.


  5. #80

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    You are so cruel Simon ...... fancy rubbing my face in it like that!
    My tactic to overcome whitey is keep my mouth shut , letting him drive the leccy when hooked up & to land / net his own fish ...... Ohh but I will tie his knots for him - my old granny showed me a easy one to tie

    Chris
    sorry chris had to do it for whitey benifit i reckon it will be good to see who gets the biggest bass at march i know where my money is
    hope you had a nice chrissie day as i did now recovery time

  6. #81

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    i have to say most of mine have come from casting but my latest pb was as hard a fish to land as the one i got in may on the cast the 117 cm was a bit easier to prepare for not cause of size but the chance to only have to deal with the one rod at the time so when the fish hit i was ready the big girl i got in novemebr the $1.26 was not a easy task i had 2 other rods to deal with i had the fire the outboard up and chase to get some liune back i had to get the lines in the get set with the leccy to fight i then had to get another boat over to help me lift her in to my boat so yeah either way there a hard fighter and what every way you them to the boat its all good now i reckon ii got a feeling why alot have a prob with a pb from trolling as a lot of fellows who put the time in to catch one see a old couple come along and jag a horse on the troll but lets face whos to sya if you cast near that fish you would hook it anyway the fact is trolling allows lures to get to the depth casting dont so they have there benifits

  7. #82

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    sorry chris had to do it for whitey benifit i reckon it will be good to see who gets the biggest bass at march i know where my money is
    hope you had a nice chrissie day as i did now recovery time
    Thanks mate ...... did the family thing last night ( sore head this morning) - went breamin this arvo- & santa was good to me

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  8. #83

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks mate ...... did the family thing last night ( sore head this morning) - went breamin this arvo- & santa was good to me

    Chris
    crieky havinf a sessh chrissy day lucky bugger i gunner go tomorrow night if we dont get storms

  9. #84

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    crieky havinf a sessh chrissy day lucky bugger i gunner go tomorrow night if we dont get storms
    Yeh mate ..... had a Chrissy day sesh ( my first since the ABT) - I put a report up in Estuary
    With a little luck ...... I'll have a report to put up (Hawkes nest ) ...... i'll pick the littlies tomorrow ..... & then5 days of breamin / & hopefully snapper on placcy's

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  10. #85

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    Nagg, not having a shot but I believe you're limiting your perception of trolling to too narrow a field, be it one you're familiar with. I think that there a number of different barramundi environments and it'd be a fair call to say that we all may not as familiar with them all as we are with our 'home turf'. I often struggle to visualise impoundment fishing, the differences appear to be legion compared to river fishing.



    To answer your questions


    Yes, I do but my question to any one who’d question that choice would be “Why wouldn’t it be, given the situation and the predicament that I and the fish put each other into”.







    No, my two equal sized PB’s come from live baiting with two others a couple of cms behind behind, one caught on a mullet fillet. After that would come trolling and casting captures with those PB's being of equal size. Once again the situation made all these fish’s capture a challenge, once again best judged by being there.
    Sorry Dick ........ I feel there is a significant difference with tidal trolling for barra & impoundmet trolling .......... The tidal scenario changes by the minute - impoundment dynamics fluctuate but to a far lesser extent IMO ( they do change)

    Impoundment barra do not have to worry about sharks & crocs too

    Chris

    PS ..... I certainly have a greater respect for wild barra over impoundment ....... even though both offer their own challenge
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  11. #86

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Nagg,
    as to your question, I believe you answered yourself, when you said.

    "Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra . "

    What made them special captures? The difficulty factor and because it was your first fish. As you catch more fish, you look at ways to refine your techniques. You will think of attack stratagies and put them into place, and when they work, bingo, your onto a winner. I still enjoy trolling and have been refining my methods for many years, but I would have to say my PB fish was casting. It was from a bank (no boat) in a remote river seldom fished in the gulf, after a 15km hike into the area. A lot of factors went into getting this fish which made it special. I followed it the next weekend with several metre + fish from a dam, and even though of an equal size and all caught casting, the first capture was special.

    I think most serious fishos will use a variety of techniques that suit the day. Less skilled (or less keen) will stick to whatever is easiest and worked before, and for a lot of them it means trolling. When I first fished PF, my sounder broke, it was blowing a gale and it was unfamiliar territory. I cast for 1 1/2 days for not even a tap, so trolled some points and got a 98cm just before I left. I was happy with this and it made my trip, especially when several others back at the camp had spent the week there for nothing.

    Goddy

    So in answer, my pb is from casting, but that is because I have dropped every big fish caught on the troll so far and haven't been able to beat it.

  12. #87

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by goddy100 View Post
    Nagg,
    as to your question, I believe you answered yourself, when you said.

    "Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra . "

    What made them special captures? The difficulty factor and because it was your first fish. As you catch more fish, you look at ways to refine your techniques. You will think of attack stratagies and put them into place, and when they work, bingo, your onto a winner. I still enjoy trolling and have been refining my methods for many years, but I would have to say my PB fish was casting. It was from a bank (no boat) in a remote river seldom fished in the gulf, after a 15km hike into the area. A lot of factors went into getting this fish which made it special. I followed it the next weekend with several metre + fish from a dam, and even though of an equal size and all caught casting, the first capture was special.

    I think most serious fishos will use a variety of techniques that suit the day. Less skilled (or less keen) will stick to whatever is easiest and worked before, and for a lot of them it means trolling. When I first fished PF, my sounder broke, it was blowing a gale and it was unfamiliar territory. I cast for 1 1/2 days for not even a tap, so trolled some points and got a 98cm just before I left. I was happy with this and it made my trip, especially when several others back at the camp had spent the week there for nothing.

    Goddy

    So in answer, my pb is from casting, but that is because I have dropped every big fish caught on the troll so far and haven't been able to beat it.
    I think everyone is going to have certain captures that they rate - be it trolled , cast - whatever.......... However that 105 while it rates- it falls short of many others that I have caught casting & that would include lots of fish in the 90s.
    The 104 that I caught during the ABT on bass gear - is clearly a stand out.

    But I know what you are saying - & while I personally dislike trolling (for anything) ..... It is still there as an option.

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  13. #88

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    OK OK ..... we all know that trolling is a popular legitimate method & probably the most effective means of catching barra ..... & big barra too.

    But tell us honestly .... hand on the heart stuff ...... dump the political correctness BS
    Who here seriously considers their trolled up barra to be as rewarding as one that is caught while casting lure / fly (regardless of size) .....

    How many of us have a trolled barra as their PB ???

    This will be interesting

    Chris


    Note : My first 2 meter + barra were caught trolling ( up till 1 month ago a trolled barra was my PB) - On the Nag scale - the 105 rated because of the situation ( trolling a weed edge at night , taken using a drop back technique , fought with 10kg of weed over the braid ------- but more so because It was my first impoundment barra .
    I will take my casting one its was less of a fight but in much more appealing country, all fish are fun to catch but how you react to a fish is two different things in the sticks your in defensive mode the whole capture where in the basin areas well noting apart from hooks pulling or a gill rake can bring you un done, I watched a guy last trip brake his rod and still got the fish due to lighter set drags and no structure to worry about... Those who have caught fish in the sticks will know they are a fish with a escape plan and they are in thier enviroment of snags and structure in a basin well yep they go hard but put a bit of drag pressure and you will have a fish without much stress....

    Heres a question out of the fish you have caught which fish pops into mind time and time again as your fav battle Mine was not either of the Pbs it was a 112cm fish in H he did me on every snag and even straightened 2 trebbles, it was alot of weaving and coaxing and at one point I was un tangling of a tree and the fish was out in the clear jumping talk about heart pupmping stuff.

    Now yours???

  14. #89

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    To be fair dinkum, I still havent caught a barra yet (fingers crossed for Monduran today), so I would rate a legal size barra caught troling or casting. After all, its not how you fish, its actualy being out there havin a go isnt it?
    Cheers
    Steve

  15. #90

    Re: IS IT TIME TO RETHINK THE METERY "Does trolling count?"

    Quote Originally Posted by snodger 08 View Post
    To be fair dinkum, I still havent caught a barra yet (fingers crossed for Monduran today), so I would rate a legal size barra caught troling or casting. After all, its not how you fish, its actualy being out there havin a go isnt it?
    Cheers
    Steve
    You are dead right Snodger....it's the occasion the participation it does not matter one iota how you catch your fish.....What u will remember is the first Barra you catch....thats what will keep you returning.......Good Luck on the first Barra.....hope you catch a Snodger............Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us