Thread: Med Reel Upgrades

Med Reel Upgrades

As the title suggests, what is the best way to go about upgrading threadline reels? Considering this to allways get the best out of new reels. Probably the main question would be is it really worth upgrading? What are some ways you can do this? Particularly interested in mid sized reels.

Thnx in advance
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Re: Upgrading Threadlines?

Tell us what one's you have to upgrade,as there's only a limited amount that can be upgraded

As an example the shimano spheros has a full upgrade kit avaliable

Quote Originally Posted by spears View Post
    Tell us what one's you have to upgrade,as there's only a limited amount that can be upgraded

As an example the shimano spheros has a full upgrade kit avaliable
    None in particular but i get what your saying. I was thinking of changing the drag washers in my reels to get a stronger and smoother drag as i like to use smaller reels on bigger fish, a bit more piece of mind. Can you get quality drag washers for all reels? I've heard of alot of people doing this, even in high end reels but i was also just wondering what other upgrades you can get. Advice?

Cheers mate. Yeah have heard alot about Jack Erskine, seems to get a good wrap from alot of people which is good to know. Wouldn't think anything compares with his carbontex drag washers? Many people dealt with him before?

Some of the reels have plastic or brass bushes in places where upmarket reels have bearings....juts a case of getting the right bearing to go in the hole...if you are lucky.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

What would be the best way to go about putting in some of those carbontex drag washers into a 3000 Daiwa?

Daiwa's RCS power knobs, anybody using? Do they fit all Daiwa reels?

Re: Med Reel Upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by WestOzDesertFisher View Post
    Cheers mate. Yeah have heard alot about Jack Erskine, seems to get a good wrap from alot of people which is good to know. Wouldn't think anything compares with his carbontex drag washers? Many people dealt with him before?
    easy to deal with just have all the information ready to go when you ring.

What would be the best way to go about putting in some of those carbontex drag washers into a 3000 Daiwa?
    Pull the original ones out and measure the outside diameter and internal hole diameter. thickness isn't too critical, just tell them what it is going into ie: Daiwa 3000 spinning reel, and you'll get suitable washers supplied. don't forget to specify how many you need.

Daiwa's RCS power knobs, anybody using? Do they fit all Daiwa reels?
    Not all of them. some OEM knobs are fixed on permanently. some handles are not designed for bearings etc etc, best to check for your model.

RCS parts are for the Real Four series generally, but not all parts fit all reels.

Cheers Roo.

As the title suggests, what is the best way to go about upgrading threadline reels? Considering this to allways get the best out of new reels. Probably the main question would be is it really worth upgrading? What are some ways you can do this? Particularly interested in mid sized reels.

Thnx in advance
    Mate, the best thing to upgrade your reel is by replacing the plastic bearing substitutes(Plastic) with stainless steel berings upgrade your drag with carbontex from Jack Erskine also ensure you get stainless steel bearings for your bail arm roller as this needs to be real smooth to lessen any damage to you line

Ken
    Frazorodz
    Rod & Reel Repairs

Quote Originally Posted by Rodman View Post
    Mate, the best thing to upgrade your reel is by replacing the plastic bearing substitutes(Plastic) with stainless steel berings upgrade your drag with carbontex from Jack Erskine also ensure you get stainless steel bearings for your bail arm roller as this needs to be real smooth to lessen any damage to you line

Ken
    Frazorodz
    Rod & Reel Repairs

Is this easy to do yourself, or is it better sending your reel away to get done?

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Bennywise View Post
    Is this easy to do yourself, or is it better sending your reel away to get done?

Ben
    Good point, oh and price difference, getting the washers mailed and doing it yourself as apposed to sending it over and getting it done?

Cheers

Roo, you might be able to help with this one. The handles and knobs i'm talking about are DAIWA RCS POWER LIGHT M KNOB(Fits All "Real Four" Reels, Ideal for the 1000 to 3000 Size reels), DAIWA RCS POWER LIGHT L KNOB(Fits All "Real Four" Reels, Ideal for the 3000 - 4000 Size Reels) and the DAIWA RCS POWER KNOB.

Source
    http://www.rayannes.com.au/products/...s-handles-etc/

Anybody buy from here online?

Now can anybody tell me the purpose of these and if they would fit either Heartland, Luvias or Certate 3000-4000, i know it says but just checking.

Cheers

So any idea what it would cost to send over a Daiwa 3000 or 4000 and getting some carbontex fibre drag washers put in?

Bump......