View Poll Results: Is buying cheap, a good option?

Voters
100. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buying cheap gear is fine - it works!

13 13.00%
  • Buy the best quality gear you can afford

72 72.00%
  • Top shelf (& top dollar) is what to aim for

15 15.00%
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Does el-cheapo do the job..?

Re: Does el-cheapo do the job..?

Well, I've upped the ante a little again... Hard to resist when it's all so cheap.

Silstar 12' Crystal tip - $50 down from $155
    Daiwa Emblem pro 5500 - $150 down from $340
    30lb braid - $19 down from $60

Cheap doesn't need to be nasty

Matt.

Good buying Matt..! Where'd you get it from...hope not from Mo Ta.k.. as they said the prices would go up site wide after Jan 01 (not down!!) and I bought a Silstar off 'em in Dec.

Anyway, sometimes el'cheapo might be the ONLY option you have so you gotta make the most of what you can get. I'm over here in the Middle East just now, 120kms inland from Dubai.

I usually fish off a breakwall that's about 100km south west of Dubai and I have to travel 140km to get there. It's about the closest place to fish from my current location (too bad - how sad)

Anyway, over this way there aint many tackle shops (near to none actually). I have a no-frills fishing trip planned soon and I needed to stock up on a few hooks. I found a small fishing section downstairs in an 'el-tacky' department store.

They only had a limited range inside a glass cabinet so I had to buy a selection of what they had. For about 8 bucks I bought thirty six hooks (all less than 1/0 in size), a dozen swivels and five fluero foam bobby corks.

With no choice available, re: brand or quality I had to get what was there. Fortunately they did have an option of galvanised straight shank of a more silvery metallic style of off-set hooks with baitholder barbs - so I went the off-set.

So the 'el-cheapo' hooks and floats will have to do the job.

For the fishing, my wife will use an 'el-cheapo' Abu Garcia' 3bb reel matched to an Abu Garcia 8" muscle tip with an unknown brand of 15lb mono. She'll enjoy her fishing as she likes the action & feel of her chosen gear!

I'll use a Curado DSV300 with my GL Loomis & YGK Jigman braid so I will also enjoy the fishing. I'll be casting a few lures & un-weighted ganged pillies. I'll be interesed to see if the hooks we bought will adequate - most likely yes.

In case youre wondering, I do have hooks bigger than 1/0 that I brought over from Oz. But I didn't bring any smaller than that (the wife likes fishing the for pickers). Pillies are readily available over here but generally the people buy them to cook, not for bait...crikey!

Anyway, me & the missus will go fishing more for the outing itself - not necessarily to fill the freezer. We'll both enjoy having a line in the water, that's the main thing!

Geeze, I lost the gist of this thread...sorry if it got pear shaped. I started off making some kind of point about el-cheapo sometimes being your "only" option & you just gotta go with it.
    Last edited by PNG1M; 25-01-2009 at 11:25 PM. Reason: typo
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Haha nice post mate, I always enjoy reading a post that tends to go off on a different tangent.. Makes life interesting for a moment anyway.

I got the gear from ana*onda.

What do you think you'll catch over there?

Matt.

Don't know exactly what to expect fishing over here as these are uncharted waters for me - plus I'm not the best on fish IDs. We fished off the breakwall before but only got a few small, reddish bream-like things and a couple of brindle coloured bristly 'no-names'.

Some guys say they catch pelagics from the breakwall which is what I'll be after.

Then there are what they call "hamour" which is a kind of cod but I think they are in the deeper water.

There's a long weekend here in March and I'm lining up a weekend 'sleep on the boat' deep sea trip in the gulf, apparently targeting hamour via bottom bouncing plus whatever jumps on the line during the troll.
    Last edited by PNG1M; 25-01-2009 at 11:37 PM. Reason: typo
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

Quote Originally Posted by Chamelion View Post
    Well, I've upped the ante a little again... Hard to resist when it's all so cheap.

Silstar 12' Crystal tip - $50 down from $155
    Daiwa Emblem pro 5500 - $150 down from $340
    30lb braid - $19 down from $60

Cheap doesn't need to be nasty

Matt.
    Cheap doesn't need to be nasty ......... not a truer word said!

Look for run out higher end models ......... Often you can pick up an A grade product for a low/med price - With a little product knowledge & being price aware ........ you can put together some great gear! - The prime example of this is the Pflueger Medalist rods ....... A $350ish rod that you can get for under $150 ...... Why .... Its been replaced with a new model.

The US still offers some good buying ...... you might-en get a reel for half price these days - but you probably can land the next model or 2 up the range for the same price!

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO