Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First bull shark

First bull shark

Caught my first ever bullie today, went about 65-70cm , I got some good sized fillets from the tail, do I just fry em up as if a fish fillet or is there a special way they need to be done, the shark was killed + gutted straight away if that is of any importance.

Bretty

Re: First bull shark

best to take the tail off and the head off straight away to limit the ammonia smell

Yeah true blue! I had a fillet for lunch and mannnn!! very nice, not quite tailor or snapper but close i rekon.
    Yeah I knew as soon as I had him on land I had to get the job done asap, funny thing was as I was filleting it at home I had to keep sharpening the knife, is this common?? does the knife get blunt quite fast when cutting up shark??

Bretty

the skin is very abrasive

i Always reckon to bleed them and not cut them for a few hours.. so the fleash is not green when cut...

just my thoughts and experience.

shark should be ringed around the tail. and hung for a few hours, let the juices that contain the ammonia taste drain away. the same as bleeding tailor and other strong tasting fish. If you dont do that, then soak the fillets overnight in milk....that should get rid of the ammonia taste.

Greg

Does ringing around the tail mean making a cut around the tail or to hang by the tail, also to bleed a shark wold you take the head clean off or cut it through the gills throat area, they have a very flat underneath area!

I personally take the whole head and whole tail off straight away

cut the tail. underside up and let it bleed alive. i dont cut there head off. rather let them die slow. (bleed much better)

and i personally dont ever cut it for a few hours after death

Now because blokes on here are giving conflicting advice I have decided to treat them as if a normal tailor or really any fish for that matter, Bleed them, gut them and put on ice and filleted at home then I will scoot down the road to bethania boat ramp and heave all the carcases into the middle of the river, I think its a good idea to feed the fish population up this far to ensure a healthy river system, the last castnet fling I had at waterford resulted in a heap of large shrimp, flathead fingerling's, mullet, herring and even glass fish so it just goes to show that the logan is a lot healthier than some blokes think.

Bretty

Hey Guys

How do you skin em and without touching the flesh?

who knows, I might have a taste of one, I have hooked a few with no trace but they snapp me off pretty quick once they see the shoreline.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by iceknight View Post
    cut the tail. underside up and let it bleed alive. i dont cut there head off. rather let them die slow. (bleed much better)

and i personally dont ever cut it for a few hours after death
    Why would you rather a fish to die a slow and painful death?

LOL, grow up kid.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVE_2_FiSH View Post
    LOL, grow up kid.
    bloody oath.

Quote Originally Posted by LIVE_2_FiSH View Post
    LOL, grow up kid.
    Its a fair question.

Quote Originally Posted by tailorboi99 View Post
    Why would you rather a fish to die a slow and painful death?
    Yes I agree.....who really wants to watch a Sea Kitten suffer...