Thread: Flats Sight Fishing

Flats Sight Fishing

Recently the sight fishing on the flats in the sandy straight have been on fire . Shrimp patterns and the good ol clouser have been very productive, I have been mainly using a #9 rod with a full intermediate line. Stealth is paramount , although you will pin fish on the flats by entering and manoeuvring with your petrol motor, you will see a lot more by approaching under electric or push pole. Hope everyone has a good Christmas break and remember the etiquette out on the water.

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Re: Flats Sight Fishing

Love ya work Chris, some cracker fish there mate.

Wow thats an awesome effort!
    Im heading up there 2 do that after christmas do u have any tips on where to find the fish like gutters mangroves etc??
    Cheers Simon

Not bad mate, was out myself this morning. Saw a few but couldnt convince them to take my flies. Still got a bit to learn, bit new at this!

Quote Originally Posted by RAT-KING View Post
    Wow thats an awesome effort!
    Im heading up there 2 do that after christmas do u have any tips on where to find the fish like gutters mangroves etc??
    Cheers Simon
    They are everywhere Simon, sorry to sound vague but they simply are, the best bit of advice I can give you is good sunnies and the rays are good casting practice. Also if there flat seems dead (no bait, yabbie holes or rays) chances are you won't see much fish. Practice your casting, you really don't get many chances, once you line one they don't come back.

Smile Re: Flats Sight Fishing

Top fishing chris.
    You look like the cat that swallowed the canary in the pics. As you should. Question, What colours are you mixing up in the clousers? And are you tying them full or sparse. I flicked off a dvd to Bill form Burumba. Top marks to your photographer. Great shots.

Jeff.
    Fly rods were made to bend!

Jeff, got the disc in the mail on Wednesday. Thanks for that. Yeh, the pics I took were spot on. Thanks for that. lol. Honestly, haven't even had the chance to check them out yet. Will do so this arvo or tonight if everything goes to plan.
    Thanks again for taking the pics. I'm sure you have done a great job.

Now Chris, how did you explain to your customers about where you were when you should have been working? You should rename "StormTrooper" to "On the Job". Great fish you and Andy got there. Carl's heading up tomorrow. I got to work, unlike some people. One day I'll get up there.
    Cheers
    Bill

Hi Jeff,
    the clousers are generally all white but yellow over white works well as well depending on the flat. I tie them fairly standard, sparse if anything I reckon to much material is a killer to the action, these fish have seen quite a bit of action. You have to put in long accurate casts and tease them, you can't just simply put it in front of them and just start stripping you have to know where your fly is and how the fish is reacting to it , a bit like a kitten with a ball of string, too close and they are not interested or spook and too far away and they just don't care, you really need to tease them, particularly the Queenies. So last thing you want is a fly that is overdressed and looks and swims unnatural.

Chris,
    Thanks for the good oil on the clousers. I would be the first to admit that I tie far to much material into most of my patterns. As you said , less is often best. Another question, have you tried material like " Craft Fur Plus" mixed into the clousr patterns. Thought it may add some movement and life to the clouser but concerned it may tangle. Best wishes to you and yours for the new year. Catch up around the traps.
    Jeff
    Fly rods were made to bend!

arr criss ya killing me, thay are awsome. great fishing dude
    figjam :wink: