Thread: few fly questions

few fly questions

Hey all i jst have a few questions firstly i have a 9wt combo what pound line etc would that b?
    and wat weight, type of leader should i use targeting tuna trevs etc and wat length should it be?
    All info is much appreciated
    Cheers Simon

Re: few fly questions

Hi Simon,
    What sort of line do you have for you 9wt ? different lines have different Breaking strains, most have a BS of around 30-33 lb in that weight, this is why you should have a part of your leader that will break under that BS. The Reason is if you snag you won't break your line or if pin a pelagic that rips off line at million miles an hour and it wraps around you finger , you won't lose your finger. Another thing to consider is your backing, your leader should break less than your backing as well. I have fished straight through 60 or 80 lb before for species like GT's but I am well aware of what will happen.
    Your leader setup for Trevs and Tuna should be pretty simple , I just use a half and half setup consisting of 60lb but section add 20lb tippet. I join these in the middle with a triple surgeon knot and put a double surgeon in the butt to join it to my fly line, overall it should be rod length. If the fish a spooky or the water is gin clear I might tie on a couple of feet of 16lb. If you are concerned about a delicate presentation there are other setups you can do with knots that are meant to transfer the energy to the fly a lot better but for Tuna its not always that important , especially in comparison to the way they are approached in the boat.
    good luck mate

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Thank u mr fly fisho!
    that info is much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisho View Post
    Hi Simon,
    What sort of line do you have for you 9wt ? different lines have different Breaking strains, most have a BS of around 30-33 lb in that weight, this is why you should have a part of your leader that will break under that BS. The Reason is if you snag you won't break your line or if pin a pelagic that rips off line at million miles an hour and it wraps around you finger , you won't lose your finger. Another thing to consider is your backing, your leader should break less than your backing as well. I have fished straight through 60 or 80 lb before for species like GT's but I am well aware of what will happen.
    Your leader setup for Trevs and Tuna should be pretty simple , I just use a half and half setup consisting of 60lb but section add 20lb tippet. I join these in the middle with a triple surgeon knot and put a double surgeon in the butt to join it to my fly line, overall it should be rod length. If the fish a spooky or the water is gin clear I might tie on a couple of feet of 16lb. If you are concerned about a delicate presentation there are other setups you can do with knots that are meant to transfer the energy to the fly a lot better but for Tuna its not always that important , especially in comparison to the way they are approached in the boat.
    good luck mate
    lose a finger because the fish is running harrrddd on a 60lb leader god that sounds like fun to a Tassie boy.Big Australian Salmon only dislocate them at the knuckles LOL
    Cheers flyfisho
    Reidy
    Must be bloody good fun up there 3 stage leaders 60lb-16lb oooo mannn i am geting exited