Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: would you expect some sort of refund from this charter

Unhappy would you expect some sort of refund from this charter

hi all,
    i'll cut straight to it!!

My boss took myself and another mate/employee out on a half day 3 person charter from mooloolaba that we'd talk'd him into because this charter has a realy god reputation................

in previously exchanged emails with the charter operator he asked us to email through what species we wanted to target. i reply'd with: Spaniard,wahoo,yellow tail kings,cobia,mahi mahi and amberjack and half way through if things arent lookin to good maybe target some reefies so we can at least come home with a feed!! the reply email was: all good no worries we'll leave at 4am head out jig up some livies go back in target spaniards till they go off the boil then back out to try for some mahi mahi and wahoo and on the way stop around the blinker for a try for the kings and ambo's

well we left at 4am managed to only jig up 4 livies head back in and troll them for the spaniards with 1 hit and 1 hook up but dropped witch my mate took the first strike on. ok so the spaniards are there but the decision is made at about 7am to head out for mahi and wahoo. get to a mark and there is a school of mahi there witch the operator dropped a livie down to but no interest so he sticks a plac on and says to me here throw this at them, i reply with how should i work it back to the boat which was met with "just however mate" (Good advice me thinks) i reckon all up we spent about 20mins there with the mahi then we were of again further out
    pull up and he puts 4 diff lures out for the troll trying for MARLIN (i dont remember saying anything bout targeting MARLIN) we trolled lures untill 1:30pm (we were meant to be back at 11am but he stayed out cus we'd only caught 1 fish) and caught 1 small 12kg marlin in that time witch i took the strike on and bought to the boat!

so all up from from 5am till 1:30pm 8 and 1/2 hours of trolling we had 1 hit 1 hook up but dropped and caught the small marlin,never chased the kingy's or ambo's and even tho we hadnt boated a fish half way through never try'd for reefies and to make matters worse my Boss who paid for the day NEVER EVEN TOUCHED A ROD so basicaly he paid $150 for a boat ride and a sun tan

upon arriving back to the boat we were told sorry i couldnt put you ont'm fella's and that was the end of the day!

in my opinion this was without doubt the worst charter i've been on!
    interested to here your thoughts
    cheers for reading my long winded rant
    JAYVEE

Re: would you expect some sort of refund from this charter

You can pay for charters all you want..but there is never any guarantee of catching fish. That is a fickle part of the recreation of fishing.
    I paid a lot more than what your boss did for a charter last weekend..bugger all fish but I had a great time nonetheless.

Sounds to me like one of those days, happens. Saddly that is the gamble, he did find you fish and pack what seems a lot into the short time available, IMO I wish some of my trips would go so well and they are somtimes near twice as long, yesterday was one of them.

Personally I wouldn't ask for a refund but based on what you said I would go out again with this bloke, some days are diamonds.....

cheers fnq

That's the way the cookie crumbles mate...
    It sux, but it's life.
    I think the Skipper was pretty cool giving you extra time.. He didn't have to do that!

..........................Nope

I wished I was guaranteed fish when-ever I took the boat out.
    Part and parcel of the past-time I'm afraid.
    At least a couple of fish caught. Better then a donut
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

so basically what you guys above are saying is you'd happily pay $150 each to go out on a FISHING charter boat,spend 7 hours trolling/targeting 1 species of fish you never asked to target,possibly not even touch a rod (on a fishing boat) and pull into the ramp a happy camper feeling it was $150 well spent...........might start my own charter boat if customers are as easy to please as you guys!!!

Congrats on your marlin! I'd pay $150 to get one of them any day.

Quote Originally Posted by DC View Post
    Congrats on your marlin! I'd pay $150 to get one of them any day.

Spot on Dane. Sounds like he pulled all stops out to try and get you onto some fish. A half day charter that went for 7 hours ???

Did you mention your "dissatisfaction" when you returned to the ramp?

Personally I think he did his best for you but your obviously unhappy enough to come on here with a post.

I went out on a charter of noosa last weekend.the guy who took us out Paid a lot more money than your 150 per person the fuel was about $800we went 3 hours off noosa.there were 12 of us we got about 20 mixed reefies but remember there was 12 of us and we paid to go long,but we all had a good laugh at each other and just enjoyed it.Jayvee You can come with me Ill only charge for bait and a bit of fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by jayvee View Post
    so basically what you guys above are saying is you'd happily pay $150 each to go out on a FISHING charter boat,spend 7 hours trolling/targeting 1 species of fish you never asked to target,possibly not even touch a rod (on a fishing boat) and pull into the ramp a happy camper feeling it was $150 well spent...........might start my own charter boat if customers are as easy to please as you guys!!!
    you asked to target a species?..why not let the skipper guide you.
    Why didn't theboss touch a rod? Not the skippers fault.
    Reality is..no one knows if fish are there or on the chew when yo ugo out..if you expect a charter skipper to guarantee you fish then I suggest you never bother going again..you will only be disappointed.
    $150 each is inexpensive for a charter

Most people would be happy with the skipper who worked another 21/2 hours and burnt a lot more fuel trying to put you onto fish. It sounded like he pulled out all stops to try to get you onto fish. A Marlin would make a lot of fishos very happy campers
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

did i read correctly that the charter caught a marlin ? a lot of people would have been over the moon for that alone. full credit to the skipper for staying out the extra couple of hours to try and get you on the fish. thats a fairtale compared to some of the horror stories you read on here re: charters.

i think you should have put a few tea spoons of cement in your cereal. and harden up !

fish guts

Whats the charters name, reckon Id be happy to go on it,, sounds like the skipper went over and above,

mike
    Tangles KFC

Sounds like the skipper did a lot of miles and changed tact as often as needed to try and get whatever was on on the day. And stayed out longer to get anything that might bite.

Even a lousy Marlin

I know people that have paid thousands to try and get one, of any size, on board and not got lucky.

I would be upset if the operator just did a big drift all day and then took you back. But this guy obviously pulled all stops.

It is called fishing, not catching.