Thread: Beginners setup - What would you recommend?

Beginners setup - What would you recommend?

Hey guys i havent fished for quite a while, i have a couple of old rods from about 10 years back, no tackle etc and wanting to fish in lakes, rivers, dams etc and wanting to know what you would recommend in terms of rods.
    Now i have done a bit of research asked around a few places etc and correct me if i am wrong on any of these.

My budget firstly is probaly $50-$150 for the rod , reel and tackle, but can stretch that if need be.

6" rods are good for rivers streams and dams but if your going to the murray/beach fishing that its not recommend if you get a big catch on the line.

6.6" rods are good for the big catch up the murray to be prepared with

If i am fishing murray then i should go braided line for the cod, for streams, lakes etc im not sure if it is better?

The guy at BCF told me that the Penn reels are really good and preferred over shimano and Okuma i think it was.

From what i have had in the past UglyStik's are still top quality is that right?
    What would you recommend in terms of rods and reels and also tackle bait etc, i dont wanto buy a kit where i can make the kit with items i need.

I will be fishing mostly in lakes,rivers,dams etc and the off chance beach and murray so im not sure what there mainly is but i think theres redfin,trout,perch.

Any help would be gladly be appreciated.

Re: Beginners setup - What would you recommend?

Hey mate, as I never fish dams or lakes I don't have much experiance so I will give you all I know on decent tackle in that price range.

Shimano Ax is a good reel for the price, depends on the size of the fish for the size of the reel.
    Ugly Sticks are still good so I am going to give you the one I think would suit your conditions, Gold 6F6IN 3-5kg Ugly Stick.

More information on the Ugly Stick rod - https://store.bcf.com.au/ProductDetails.aspx?PLU=112618
    More information on the Shimano reel - https://store.bcf.com.au/ProductDetails.aspx?PLU=108770

Tom,
    Enjoy searching for that perfect outfit

Thankyou for replying.
    Thats the rod i was actually getting shown at BCF.
    In terms of the 6ft rod compared to the 6ft6 rod is there much difference in terms of fishing streams,rivers,dams? will the 6ft rod be mroe sensitve to the bite then the larger one?

Also with fishing up the murray etc and the off chance hooking the big cod will a 6ft rod with braided line be able to pull it in or would you suggest a 6.6ft setup for fishing the murray?

thanks.

Hi

A longer rod should give a little more cast,size of fish it will handle will depend on how many lbs/kg the rod is rated at.

If its a 6-12 lb you should go well with yella, bass and most cod, but if you hook a behemoth of the deep then it's every man for himself .

If your trolling for biggish cod you will need a stronger/stiffer rod suitable to hold big lures and bigger fish and I would go a 6 - 8 kg rod, this would be better for big baits from a boat too.

Braid or mono? again I have caught heaps of cod on mono, but if you got a few extra dollars get some braid and flurocarbo leader (i think mono is prefered for trolling lures), i prefer mono in the fresh, but have used braid and a leader when spinning lures.

**Actually this should be asked in fresh water section "braid or mono in the fresh?", I have always used mono, but not quite up on latest techniques.**

I like shimano reels and their rods too,so you might as well buy what you can ...

isn't that the fun of it? we don't all start out expert anglers with $600.00+ setups
    but if your got a line in the water your in with a chance.

make up for what your lackin in the budget with brains and know how .

I never owned a rod or reel over $70 till last year, but before then I still caught plenty of big ones.

I would spend $150 on a rod and reel and then use some tackle recommended by the locals.

I would be looking for a 6-8kg all rounder suitable for larger lures and baits, and maybe a penn or shimano reel to match.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by projectaero View Post
    Thankyou for replying.
    Thats the rod i was actually getting shown at BCF.
    In terms of the 6ft rod compared to the 6ft6 rod is there much difference in terms of fishing streams,rivers,dams? will the 6ft rod be mroe sensitve to the bite then the larger one?

Also with fishing up the murray etc and the off chance hooking the big cod will a 6ft rod with braided line be able to pull it in or would you suggest a 6.6ft setup for fishing the murray?

thanks.
    The longer the rod the further the cast mate, it depends on the tip sensitivity whether you will feel a bite or not. Also the AX should be alright with braid aslong as you have a mono backing.

Tom