Thread: Replacement for ABU 7000

Replacement for ABU 7000

Hi all,
    I have been using an ABU 7000 for about the last 15 years and I love it, BUT, like it's owner, it's a bit long in the tooth and should possibly be put out to pasture.
    Santa has smiled on me and the War Office has given me a budget of $300.00 for a replacement.
    I need an overhead, fishing it off a 12.5 foot Ugly Stick mainly off the beach. I want to use 20/25 LB braid. If the new ABU's were of the same quality I wouldn't hestitate, but alas this is not the case.
    Your thoughts and recommendations for a replacement will be appreciated and Merrry Chrismas to you all.

Re: Replacement for ABU 7000

I don't know what the price is but a shimano calcutta in 400 or 700 would be fine.

And a Merry X-mas to you also bentleyd as well as others.

G'day Bentleyd

Its a little more than your budget, but a suitably sized Trinidad would be the ducks nuts!

I'm not sure but there could be a saltiga in or around your budget, excellent build, great retrieve, could be worth considering.

I think the only penn would be the squidder or the surfmaster if you can still get them, but I'm not sure they are up to the ABU - I've still got a couple of ABU's myself, they were a great reel

Cheers

Rhys

Bentleyd,

Santa has been good to you

Daiwa saltist now have a levelwind version, I'm sure they have a size comparable to the 7000, but would be close to the top end of your budget

Ally Jack

I too had a 7000 ABU for many years., great reels!

The closest thing I have to it now is a Shimano Tekota 500. I have 30lb braid on it
    mainly use it for inshore trolling.

Other options are Calcutta700b, or Penn 525 mag.

Reggy

I'd be looking at one of the AVET reels myself.Made in USA these beauties seem to me to be one of the reels to at least equal the old Abu reels in quality.They're lever drag and from what I've seen on various US sites they're nothing but sh#%hot!!

You can get them at a good price on ebay (and other sites) and even with the exchange rate & shipping would have some change out of $300.Only thing that would be a problem is not being able to physically handle one,unless you know of someone with one.They have smaller models that are great for casting and you could compare weights with your Abu for balance etc and line capacity.

No,I don't have one...spent too much on some older Abu reels ie 12,7000,8600,10000...can't justify another reel..I think?

Just a thought...check 'em out.

Darren
    Last edited by moater; 05-12-2008 at 10:30 AM.

If it's going off the beach then without doubt a red 7000 abu,I don't care if it is made in China all the reels mentioned above, Calcutta,Trinidad etc will not take kindly to the envioroment and end up costing time and money,I would also consider any other fully bushed reels though none spring to mind at the moment.

I bought a Daiwa millionaire 7HT turbo to replace my Abu 6500 and get more distance. Eventually I bought upgraded bearings for my Abu and now I get more distance with it than I get with the Daiwa! They are both great reels and these days I use the Abu for spinning and the Daiwa for bait fishing (more torque when winding back sea-weeds).

I got my Daiwa from http://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/store...ment-7ht-turbo when the Oz was a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    If it's going off the beach then without doubt a red 7000 abu,I don't care if it is made in China all the reels mentioned above, Calcutta,Trinidad etc will not take kindly to the envioroment and end up costing time and money,I would also consider any other fully bushed reels though none spring to mind at the moment.
    OFF THE BEACH, anything except an Alvey or a handline will end up costing you money, but a car is more convenient than a horse.

Many thanks for the replies and advice. Sorry for the delay but I have been off-line.
    Following advice from others more experienced than me I have removed the level wind, replaced the shims at the opposite end to the drag, lubricated with the Jack Erskine grease and replaced the Drag washers also from Jack.
    Wow what a difference, casting at least 30m further and no noises from the reel.

See if can last another 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by bentleyd View Post
    Many thanks for the replies and advice. Sorry for the delay but I have been off-line.
    Following advice from others more experienced than me I have removed the level wind, replaced the shims at the opposite end to the drag, lubricated with the Jack Erskine grease and replaced the Drag washers also from Jack.
    Wow what a difference, casting at least 30m further and no noises from the reel.

See if can last another 15 years.

i just noticed this thread, i had erskines do a full rebuild on my 7000, it is now a weapon!!i had bushes relaced with bearings.

you have found the best solution