Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Hi Ausfishers

I'm interested to hear what everyone's favorite impoundment barra gear consists of (Rod , reel & line) & what makes it so special
    I've noticed a bit of a trend towards spin gear ...... & curiosity has got the better of me - how much of this trend has filtered through the IBDers

should be interesting

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

G'day,
    well I'm in a bit of a quandry, I really love using my low profile ABUs' (STX and Inshore) but I recently purchased a Curado E5 and am very impressed (my new favourite toy) so I'm very keen to try it on the water instead of the backyard, therein lies the problem, due to a knee injury and surgery I can't fish at the moment - doctors and physios' orders. As for rods I use one of the first series T-Curves 6-10kg, I also have a couple of Strudwick Hard baits and I have found it to be an excellent rod although I would be interested in trying one of the new samurias (actually I'm very keen to see one up close). As for line I'm currently using either Fins or Bionic but have just put some Nitlon onto an ABU 804 spin reel and I like it. I suppose leader material is next I'm a bit old fashioned and like Jinkai and Black magic 40, 60, 80lb. What do you think?

Cheers

Chris

Favourite?: zillion crazy cranker with 30lbs castaway and egrell b6-7

Lucky one: chronarch 101A 40lbs nitlon on a Redington RFX aussie barra

I suppose it is like everything, spin gear has its time and place for throwing specific lures perhaps "better" than cast gear. Lyndon and I have had some very interesting conversations into the biomechanical/anatomical/motor patterning benefits of using spin gear v cast gear. Pretty sure there will be some literature out soon. Sound's very heavy however it does make a very big difference in terms of striking, fighting and landing fish. Probably not what you were looking for Chris however it all adds up.

Scott

After completing 24 days of barra fishing ....... I really gained an appreciation for using much lighter gear for my general barra fishing with the exception being long point casting.
    After some chops & changes the tackle that worked best for me & was a pleasure to use was the Daiwa Steez 103HA loaded with 30lb Bionic Braid (Grey) & Loomis SBR813 .......
    Unfortunately / fortunately .. After some gear failure I couldn't keep the steez on the SBR813 & it moved to my Loomis CR722 & was respooled with 20lb Superline.
    So for me ..... I'm leaning away from the heavier stump pulling rods & mack truck reels ..... with future tackle purchases going towards lighter / softer rods & lighter (Quality) baitcast reels (low profile) .......... sure you cant skull drag a big mumma out of the sticks ... but at least stresses on terminal tackle will be reduced & just maybe with good management/tactics those big girls will hit the brag mat OR THEN AGAIN

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Chris,
    ask andy about the virtues of lighter spin gear.Fished behind where he got that fish when you were up there and he got smoked dickin round with my light spin rod by a really nice fish. His favourite reel without doubt is his echelon with 14 lb braid.Is it as smooth as the other reels,well no.Does it cast as far..no again. But for some reason it catches fish. i hate even putting it in the boat these days. He cant break the braid thru the bear and we free spool fish a lot during the fight so drag kgs arent that important.stupid reel but i guess you go with what works. Me i love using my bear but my fish attractor is an 8kg live fibre blade with the hrf.. works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by t4topcat View Post
    G'day,
    well I'm in a bit of a quandry, I really love using my low profile ABUs' (STX and Inshore) but I recently purchased a Curado E5 and am very impressed (my new favourite toy) so I'm very keen to try it on the water instead of the backyard, therein lies the problem, due to a knee injury and surgery I can't fish at the moment - doctors and physios' orders. As for rods I use one of the first series T-Curves 6-10kg, I also have a couple of Strudwick Hard baits and I have found it to be an excellent rod although I would be interested in trying one of the new samurias (actually I'm very keen to see one up close). As for line I'm currently using either Fins or Bionic but have just put some Nitlon onto an ABU 804 spin reel and I like it. I suppose leader material is next I'm a bit old fashioned and like Jinkai and Black magic 40, 60, 80lb. What do you think?

Cheers

Chris
    Chris ..... my only comment - "I hate mono leaders!"
    Since my switch to twisted(40lb Nitline) ...... I've had one failure & that was when I went down to 25lb FC ROCK - twisted ....... straight after landing a 106cm fish - other than that probably 50-60 barra landed on plastics...... with no dramas (previously ... to many lost on worn through 60 & 80lb black magic & 10X

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Hey Chris,
    ask andy about the virtues of lighter spin gear.Fished behind where he got that fish when you were up there and he got smoked dickin round with my light spin rod by a really nice fish. His favourite reel without doubt is his echelon with 14 lb braid.Is it as smooth as the other reels,well no.Does it cast as far..no again. But for some reason it catches fish. i hate even putting it in the boat these days. He cant break the braid thru the bear and we free spool fish a lot during the fight so drag kgs arent that important.stupid reel but i guess you go with what works. Me i love using my bear but my fish attractor is an 8kg live fibre blade with the hrf.. works for me.
    As we all know Chewy ..... it is a personal thing that is clearly linked to an individuals style & approach - I've seen some that truly need a broom stick with a blacksheep & 50lb braid ....... just to match their style
    I quickly went away from calcuttas ....... & now the Zillions even feel like a brick - I must be a big ---

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey chris,
    some food for thought. we got four barra on softies on the weekend.heaviest leader we used was 45 lb sneider straight thru to a loop. did get two on 40lb jinkai.We fished really light drag on a 95cm and it was down pretty far hooked in the roof of the mouth. After the fish was returned andyys first comment was look at the leader.there was barely any scuffing on it. Im starting to think the harder the drag the more damage the fish is able to impart on the leader. like iv said b4 iv landed some ok salty barra on fly on 20 lb leader and i think its coz i cant apply enough force to scuff the leader up. Someting to think about.

My favourite outfit right at the moment is my Zillion on an MBR783c GL3 spooled with 20lb Nitlon, although very closely followed by my trusty old favourite of a JDM CVZ205 on a Live Fibre Blade spooled with 50lb Finns

The Zillion/Loomis combo is very sweet to use and casts placcies on worm hooks so well I don't even bother to break the Certate out for plastics! (hate flicking spool arms over - I am lazy)

The CVZ/Blade combo comes into it's own with the big Hardbodies and is sooo sweet to cast all day you just don't want to stop.

Third place probably goes to the old Calcutta 200b/Live Fibre which just will not die and is great to have as a backup and more often then not has a surface lure tied on for when it "feels right" to chuck one.

I agree re the lighter drag (generally speaking) it's a smarter way of fishing that means more fish to the boat. Although I still don't mind a full on game of tug of war every now and again (CVZ/Blade loves that game too)

Cheers
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Hey chris,
    some food for thought. we got four barra on softies on the weekend.heaviest leader we used was 45 lb sneider straight thru to a loop. did get two on 40lb jinkai.We fished really light drag on a 95cm and it was down pretty far hooked in the roof of the mouth. After the fish was returned andyys first comment was look at the leader.there was barely any scuffing on it. Im starting to think the harder the drag the more damage the fish is able to impart on the leader. like iv said b4 iv landed some ok salty barra on fly on 20 lb leader and i think its coz i cant apply enough force to scuff the leader up. Someting to think about.
    I totally agree with your observation chewy ...... however the bigger the fish the more abrasive the jaw bone appears to be.
    my record on big fish lost to a worn leader nearly drove me to suicide ........
    The big fish that I lost on 25lb twisted FC ROCK a couple of weeks ago ....did it against a comparitively light drag ..... in 15 seconds ( both strands were worn) ...... & that was while the fish was running

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    My favourite outfit right at the moment is my Zillion on an MBR783c GL3 spooled with 20lb Nitlon, although very closely followed by my trusty old favourite of a JDM CVZ205 on a Live Fibre Blade spooled with 50lb Finns

The Zillion/Loomis combo is very sweet to use and casts placcies on worm hooks so well I don't even bother to break the Certate out for plastics! (hate flicking spool arms over - I am lazy)

The CVZ/Blade combo comes into it's own with the big Hardbodies and is sooo sweet to cast all day you just don't want to stop.

Third place probably goes to the old Calcutta 200b/Live Fibre which just will not die and is great to have as a backup and more often then not has a surface lure tied on for when it "feels right" to chuck one.

I agree re the lighter drag (generally speaking) it's a smarter way of fishing that means more fish to the boat. Although I still don't mind a full on game of tug of war every now and again (CVZ/Blade loves that game too)

Cheers
    Tony

Hey Tony ...... why did you go 20lb on the Zillion ????

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

My go to is a Penn Pinpoint 56BCH with a JDM CVZ205 and 50 bionic. Like Tony said, great reel. Second up is the Loomis crankbait with the zill and 30 bionic for "finese" work. Theres always another Penn with a CVZ203 and 50 kicking around, or in the spin gear its a berkley dropshot barra stick and a Daiwa Caldia Kix 3000 and 20 braid.
    Hmmm, think I need a new stick for the Chronarch, then theres the SW203, the other zill, the Abu Revo, yup, time to go rod shopping...

Chris, you and I had a yarn about leaders and soft plastics a whiles ago, after the week end just past, I now see what you were talking about mate.

Yea i dont know chris,
    i have used 100 for some of the places i troll for salties and still come off 2nd best yet the one fish last weekend was 110,probably played it for ten mins and the sneider was frayed but not so bad that you could break it by hand. i dont think how i was playing it would have been much good in the thick sticks. id still be doing my best macreme imitation

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    My go to is a Penn Pinpoint 56BCH with a JDM CVZ205 and 50 bionic. Like Tony said, great reel. Second up is the Loomis crankbait with the zill and 30 bionic for "finese" work. Theres always another Penn with a CVZ203 and 50 kicking around, or in the spin gear its a berkley dropshot barra stick and a Daiwa Caldia Kix 3000 and 20 braid.
    Hmmm, think I need a new stick for the Chronarch, then theres the SW203, the other zill, the Abu Revo, yup, time to go rod shopping...

Chris, you and I had a yarn about leaders and soft plastics a whiles ago, after the week end just past, I now see what you were talking about mate.
    After breaking the Millerod ...... I'm going to be looking for a rod or two ...... Might go Nitro (If the price is right) or an Egrel ......Might as well be a follower ..... I still like the loomis but they need the larger ringed guides IMO....& with the A$ down

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    After breaking the Millerod ...... I'm going to be looking for a rod or two ...... Might go Nitro (If the price is right) or an Egrel ......Might as well be a follower ..... I still like the loomis but they need the larger ringed guides IMO....& with the A$ down

Chris
    Ive got the B8-5, and find it a little heavy for all day use, so was thinking about going the B6-5, dunno, those Penns are cheap, and they do the job.