Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Re: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Barra in the dams are just mud suckers!!!

handline trolling a B52 is all you need. Keep all your fancy larrddy da gear. Cook em up too, they taste great!!!

meeeeeettrrrryyy Xmas to you all!!!!

Steve
    Steve - Were you on the puta when it got struck by lightening

Metery Christmas to you & the family

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Callop View Post
    I have been reading this thread with great interest as out of 5 trips to Mondy in almost 2 years , I have landed 3 barra in the first 2 trips followed by 3 donuts. As the young fella and I are going back for more punishment in early January(damn the IDB), it is time for more research.
    So far this thread has covered rods, reels and lines with the occasional mention of terminal tackle. By terminal I mean , braid to leader connection, the leader itself and leader to lure connection.
    Prior to our first trip, almost 2 years ago, keeping in mind that we had no idea what we were doing, it seemed that a twisted leader made from 80lb Penn 10x with an albright connection to the braid and a halco snap to the lure was a reasonable way to go. Basically screw the drag up as far as it goes and hang on.
    But now with more use of plastics and lighter drag settings it seems to me that a rethink is in order.

So what is everybody using now?

Chris,hope I haven't hijacked your thread.

Evolution Mr Darwin .........

Dave when I first had a go at impoundment barra some 4 years ago ........ My set up consisted of a Calcutta 400 & 200 (Suped up drags) 50lb Braid . Rods were a Custom made black bass stick & Millerod TEBB ....... It was elephant gun tackle purchased on the back of media hype & poor advice......... lack of knowledge

Then as we completed another couple of trips ..... We started to realise that casting that type of gear was just plain hard work - at the same time I was catching reasonable salties on a much lighter combo (Cronarch SF & Loomis CR722) without a problem.

Then I joined Ausfish & started to read what others were using - yes there were still lots of elephant guns (black sheep) ........ but some of the switched on anglers were using lighter reels like Chronarchs & Zillions - So i bought my first of 2 Zillions ........ & managed some reasonable fish in tight cover - but it was still locked up drag stuff on 50lb

More research ...... & talking to people (ausfish) about techniques & tactics + looking at open points rather than the timber ....... had me looking for longer rods for casting plastics-

March 2008 - Zillions ,longer softer loomis rods , plastics , 30 & 40lb braid - are the weapons of choice - Awoonga sessions with the help / guidance of Dr Awoonga ........ sees many barra landed & some good fish lost . These Awoonga sessions were the key ...... The failures were terminal so to speak ..... broken leaders & bent jig heads ...watching 80lb leaders being worn through on tight drags during open water head shakes - The penny had dropped ...... We were fine using Zillions & a chronarch - plus the lighter gear meant less wear & tear on me (during 12 hour days) ........

Since then...... a Steez has been added to my armoury - to cast those lighter 4" plastics........
    lighter (3.5-4kg) drag settings are the norm ........ as we will chase fish

Leader- Leader- Leader- Leader- Leader ....... has been my focus over the last 6 months - & with the help of Trev - the full length twisties in 40lb have been the revolution in the evolution. - Im yet to break one (50 or 40lb)...... I did break a 25lb FC twistie during the ABT

Sorry about the long winded response Dave but I guess it gives a bit of an idea of tackle EVOLUTION (why)....... It does evolve with experience Sure there will be a time when I may wish I had an elephant gun ...... but I'm yet to get to that point.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Steve - Were you on the puta when it got struck by lightening

Metery Christmas to you & the family

chris
    Lucky I had my tortouise shell hat on and not my alfoil one to keep them away...
    Sending you a PM. Have a good one mate.

steve

Barra in the dams are just mud suckers!!!

handline trolling a B52 is all you need. Keep all your fancy larrddy da gear. Cook em up too, they taste great!!!

meeeeeettrrrryyy Xmas to you all!!!!

Steve
    I think Steve you are on the money......B52's are an excellent lure all this talk about Ansey Smancy flash fishing gear, they just try to make you feel inferior and unworthy......I say go the Handline and the B52 setup the Barra gear of a true competitor......
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Lucky I had my tortouise shell hat on and not my alfoil one to keep them away...

steve
    Armadillo works best

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    I think Steve you are on the money......B52's are an excellent lure all this talk about Ansey Smancy flash fishing gear, they just try to make you feel inferior and unworthy......I say go the Handline and the B52 setup the Barra gear of a true competitor......
    Since you dont need that Ansey Smancy gear any more ........ Can I have your S10 - I'll even give you my B52 collection & & & i'll even part with my Vipers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

steve

I thought it may have been one of the teletubbies beanies
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Since you dont need that Ansey Smancy gear any more ........ Can I have your S10 - I'll even give you my B52 collection & & & i'll even part with my Vipers

Chris
    Gee's ya don't want much.....I've only caught 2 Monduran Trout with it..........The B52 collection swayed me a tad......The Viper collection...Bloody Vipers...no thanks.....Brian would be keen he loves them
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Gee's ya don't want much.....I've only caught 2 Monduran Trout with it..........The B52 collection swayed me a tad......The Viper collection...Bloody Vipers...no thanks.....Brian would be keen he loves them

Last month ..... I reckon I could have got $50 for a 20+ Gold Viper - The trollers were smashing big girls in the main basin with em

you can keep the S10 since you've contaminated it with trout

cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

No apology necessary Chris. That is exactly the info I was after.
    I imagine the double strand of the leader would make a fairly bulky knot to wind through the guides. Do you use a short leader or does the knot go through the guides ok?
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

No apology necessary Chris. That is exactly the info I was after.
    I imagine the double strand of the leader would make a fairly bulky knot to wind through the guides. Do you use a short leader or does the knot go through the guides ok?
    Hi Dave

The connection I use between the bimini double & twistie is a cats paw .

As you can see by the photo ........ The connection has no bulkiness ... Infact when pulled up tight - The connection slightly compresses the loop & makes it at least the same size as the twisties

Attachment 39856

Fair dinkum this connection .... I'm yet to break (even on a snag) - The main line breaks or hooks open ........ unfortunately I've had the line break & loose 10 or 20M of braid

These days ..... I'm happy with my leader system

Cheers

chris

PS ...... The leader length usually starts at around 4' 6" & I replace it at around 15" ( but I have been lazy & gone down to 8")
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated

Hi Chris
    I assume you use a perfection loop from leader to lure or plastic?

Hi Chris
    I assume you use a perfection loop from leader to lure or plastic?
    I generally use a Lefty's loop with only 3 twists ....... Its a little more bulky -but it holds well
    To be honest though , I probably should use a perfection loop - Never given it too much thought ... The LL has done the job

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I reckon at the summer muster we have a couple of hours handline trolling comp in the basin on the moon!! Handlines with braid would be even more fun!! I will bring the stitching gear!!

Merry Xmas Whitto and All...Steve