Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Re: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Egrell B8 5 with TDZ Big Bait Special 50lb Bionic
    Egrell B6 5 with TDZ Big Bait Special 50lb Bionic (Pam's)
    Egrell B4 6 with Zillion (7.1:1) 30lb Bionic (This rod has had a couple of inches of the tip.
    Egrell B4 6 with Zillion (7.3:1) 20lb Bionic
    Egrell S4 with TD Advantage 3500 20lb Bionic
    Egrell B8 7 with Blue Backer 300 (Rod is now being converted to Threadline with 4500 Certage Hyper) 50lb Bionic
    Daiwa 45lb Blue Backer rod with Blue Backer 200 50lb Bionic (Pam's)
    Megabass Orochi Jade Python with Daiwa Branzino 30lb Bionic
    Smith Snakehead with Black Sheep 80lb Platypus (Pictured)

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    Egrell B8 5 with TDZ Big Bait Special 50lb Bionic
    Egrell B6 5 with TDZ Big Bait Special 50lb Bionic (Pam's)
    Egrell B4 6 with Zillion (7.1:1) 30lb Bionic (This rod has had a couple of inches of the tip.
    Egrell B4 6 with Zillion (7.3:1) 20lb Bionic
    Egrell S4 with TD Advantage 3500 20lb Bionic
    Egrell B8 7 with Blue Backer 300 (Rod is now being converted to Threadline with 4500 Certage Hyper) 50lb Bionic
    Daiwa 45lb Blue Backer rod with Blue Backer 200 50lb Bionic (Pam's)
    Megabass Orochi Jade Python with Daiwa Branzino 30lb Bionic
    Smith Snakehead with Black Sheep 80lb Platypus (Pictured)
    Yep some noice toys in there AB

but what one would you pick up first ....... generally ....... or are these just kept underglass

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

None of them are kept under glass. That'd be like marrying Elle MacPherson and sleeping in separate rooms. Most of these went to PNG with us and all bar Pam's B6 have been used in anger. (The B6 is her Christmas present, which she don't know about yet.) For casting heavy stuff, the B8-5 is the No. 1. The slightly shortened B4 is probably my favorite for casting Smith Seruna's etc. The S4 is a great trolling set-up and the Megabass is a good allrounder for Bass, Jacks and Barra. The big Smith is rated to 120lb and will mainly be used for pitch casting big Spinnerbaits and Jamie Flett's lures for Cod, but I will catch a big barra on it to see what it can do. My preference is definately Daiwa and most have Carbontex drags in them. I've just got a 12 weight Sage with a Tibor that I need to blood on a Barra as well this trip.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    None of them are kept under glass. That'd be like marrying Elle MacPherson and sleeping in separate rooms. Most of these went to PNG with us and all bar Pam's B6 have been used in anger. (The B6 is her Christmas present, which she don't know about yet.) For casting heavy stuff, the B8-5 is the No. 1. The slightly shortened B4 is probably my favorite for casting Smith Seruna's etc. The S4 is a great trolling set-up and the Megabass is a good allrounder for Bass, Jacks and Barra. The big Smith is rated to 120lb and will mainly be used for pitch casting big Spinnerbaits and Jamie Flett's lures for Cod, but I will catch a big barra on it to see what it can do. My preference is definately Daiwa and most have Carbontex drags in them. I've just got a 12 weight Sage with a Tibor that I need to blood on a Barra as well this trip.
    Nice to see you're not just a collector ........ you've got some serious investmet / kit there
    I do like the smith stuff ..... even though it can look a bit Nancy

nice choice of fly gear too ...... SAGE & TIBOR ... you;re not mucking around

hopefully we can catch up one day

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Chris probably a few diffrent reasons. I find that the B65 is not quite heavy enough when you get one of the big girls near the boat and they still have lots of go in them, The B85 has a lot more strength and you have more controll over the fish.

Secondly the drag on the alphas is not as smooth as the drag on the Zillion, the alphas has done a fair amount of work and probaly needs the drag replacing.

Thirdly 50lb is much more abrasion resistant and when your hooked up to a 50lb+ fish why not have 50lb line?

More or less drag? Have tried both, some times one works better than the other just depends on the situation.

Hey but is't all great fun.

And the chalenge keeps us going back.

Cheers

Tod

Quote Originally Posted by jack-n-barra View Post
    Hi Chris probably a few diffrent reasons. I find that the B65 is not quite heavy enough when you get one of the big girls near the boat and they still have lots of go in them, The B85 has a lot more strength and you have more controll over the fish.

Secondly the drag on the alphas is not as smooth as the drag on the Zillion, the alphas has done a fair amount of work and probaly needs the drag replacing.

Thirdly 50lb is much more abrasion resistant and when your hooked up to a 50lb+ fish why not have 50lb line?

More or less drag? Have tried both, some times one works better than the other just depends on the situation.

Hey but is't all great fun.

And the chalenge keeps us going back.

Cheers

Tod
    good stuff Tod ........ My current preference has taken me away from the Zillions in favour of the little Steez ....... sure it doesn't offer the drag of the Zillions ........ but it feels just as sure on a good barra .......... specially if it has been matched to a rod that can lead the fish.
    you are right ...... it does depend on the situation & as we all know ........ They are never beaten till they are on the mat

Thanks for the reply Tod

cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

i love catching pond donkys on my berkley drop shot and alphas with 16lb basshard and 16lb fc rock hehehehe, iv never fished impoundment, but i have caught meter pluss wild barra up north, i recon its up to the task if i wack on some 50lb and some good leader, great for bashing but you no i want what you guys have hehehe. weezer ya bass rod is awsome on 80cm barra park pond donkys. the reel needs a drag up grade but.
    figjam :wink:

Being an admitted preferer of spin gear and after my last barra effort, I would say that my Egrell S10 matched to a Daiwa Hyper Custom 3000 spooled with 50lb Castaway PE is my favourite combo.

Casts a mile (plastics & hardbodies), has a sensitive tip for twitching, plenty of power in the butt of the rod and heaps of drag on the reel. Had no trouble turning the heads of three big girls a week or so ago........

Here is a little toy that might be worth looking at in the future ........ very sexy

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaplutonpreview.html

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah the Pluton is sexy - I hate tackletour, I can't help but keep checking it out and it almost always costs me $$$$

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Yeah the Pluton is sexy - I hate tackletour, I can't help but keep checking it out and it almost always costs me $$$$
    Gee if I was after a drum type reel ...... That Pluton would be the first one I'd look at
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have to say it's a bit of no nonsense kit....very well made...and well priced i'd say
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

I have been reading this thread with great interest as out of 5 trips to Mondy in almost 2 years , I have landed 3 barra in the first 2 trips followed by 3 donuts. As the young fella and I are going back for more punishment in early January(damn the IDB), it is time for more research.
    So far this thread has covered rods, reels and lines with the occasional mention of terminal tackle. By terminal I mean , braid to leader connection, the leader itself and leader to lure connection.
    Prior to our first trip, almost 2 years ago, keeping in mind that we had no idea what we were doing, it seemed that a twisted leader made from 80lb Penn 10x with an albright connection to the braid and a halco snap to the lure was a reasonable way to go. Basically screw the drag up as far as it goes and hang on.
    But now with more use of plastics and lighter drag settings it seems to me that a rethink is in order.

So what is everybody using now?

Chris,hope I haven't hijacked your thread.
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Hrmm favourite barra setup would have to be my ize ight and megabass jabberwock evolution, followed by my m-ito and gan craft dictator. My fave lure is the tiemco riding pepper gotta love those top water strikes.
    cheers kyle

Barra in the dams are just mud suckers!!!

handline trolling a B52 is all you need. Keep all your fancy larrddy da gear. Cook em up too, they taste great!!!

meeeeeettrrrryyy Xmas to you all!!!!

Steve