Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Re: Your Favorite Barra Tackle (impoundment)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    yeah Chris, I have said that all along. too much drag pressure in the wrong hands at the wrong time is dangerous crap in impoundments.

like your changed thinking on rods....when you break a few...cheaper quality rods begin to look very attractive. the price range you say is pretty good these days....although If you got an Egrell, you wouldnt be a follower mate....you would be a leader!! I think there may even be a 6'6 in the pipeline that would suit you down to the ground!

steve
    Hey Steve ....... Having now racked up enough hours on impoundment barra , I've gained an opinion on what works & why. Reels dont need to be 400 size drum baitcasters that hold 300M of 50lb braid ....... love using the little Steez & the Zillions are more than capable.
    On rods ....... Expensive custom built rods while being nice & having serious pose value - cheaper mid priced quality rods will do the job & then some ....... I'm not talking cheapies though ..... because the rod still needs to have quality fittings & the blank needs to perform like I want it to.
    I was so surprised by the little CR722 GL3 Loomis ........ while being a little light for practical impoundment barra fishing - it still handled the situation that it found itself in
    for my way of thinking ...... I'd rather have several mid priced quality outfits , than just a couple high enders.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by t4topcat View Post
    G'day,
    I am still thinking about an Egrell BC but I don't know a lot about them, like how much of a difference is there betwee the Bear an Egrell blanks in the BC configuration. I probably feel that the Bear blanks would be more forgiving for me, would I be right in asuming that? Chris I have looked at the new Nitros and they're pretty sweet (Nashy's Complete Angler up here has them now) although as you say still not sure about a ferruled rod in a BC Barra stick, I dunno, any thoughts?

Cheers

Chris
    Hi Chris

I only just got back from the local tackle shop & checked out the entire range of Nitro baitcast rods ...... including the new split grip upgrader. For just under $300 there are a couple I can see myself owning ( the blanks are nice & light with a nice action..... power) ........ Warranty is great
    I guess though ....... for maybe $40 or $50 more an Egrel Bear could be a better choice ! ...... & I do like the thicker grip

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Interesting thread Chris.
    Hey Brian - as we know there is no real definitive tackle choice for barra ........ Its interesting to see where everyone is heading with their tackle choices & why (IBDers seem to be tackle junkies )
    - I know my mindset has changed during the last 18 months after spending close to 60 days chasing barra.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey Steve ....... Having now racked up enough hours on impoundment barra , I've gained an opinion on what works & why. Reels dont need to be 400 size drum baitcasters that hold 300M of 50lb braid ....... love using the little Steez & the Zillions are more than capable.
    On rods ....... Expensive custom built rods while being nice & having serious pose value - cheaper mid priced quality rods will do the job & then some ....... I'm not talking cheapies though ..... because the rod still needs to have quality fittings & the blank needs to perform like I want it to.
    I was so surprised by the little CR722 GL3 Loomis ........ while being a little light for practical impoundment barra fishing - it still handled the situation that it found itself in
    for my way of thinking ...... I'd rather have several mid priced quality outfits , than just a couple high enders.

Chris
    Chris, for the extra $40 or so, there would be no hesitation in my mind for the Egrell. I used my 7ft (B6L) heaps in the ABT (I have never really given it a serious run before...mainly here and there) and I really began to love it ( I am not a fan of longer BC's usually 6'3 is the max) ...that length might interest you...particlarly with your steez and 30lb braid and lighter plastics too. I had chronarch with 30 nitlon (new blue stuff) casting them storm things and weighted down slickrigs...it was the best outfit for the job.

My B6-6 was and always will be my favorite though, but I wasnt getting the distance of the 7ft with lighter plastics....which stands to reason....just a thought. As you know, my B8-6 had an unfortunate incident on a boat side hookup at Monduran at muster time, that instantly went under the boat whilst tied up to a tree, that was totally my fault though. I could have done better to prevent but it all happened so fast and furious.......its in graphite heaven now having a beer with your millerrod.

steve

Chris, for the extra $40 or so, there would be no hesitation in my mind for the Egrell. I used my 7ft (B6L) heaps in the ABT (I have never really given it a serious run before...mainly here and there) and I really began to love it ( I am not a fan of longer BC's usually 6'3 is the max) ...that length might interest you...particlarly with your steez and 30lb braid and lighter plastics too. I had chronarch with 30 nitlon (new blue stuff) casting them storm things and weighted down slickrigs...it was the best outfit for the job.

My B6-6 was and always will be my favorite though, but I wasnt getting the distance of the 7ft with lighter plastics....which stands to reason....just a thought. As you know, my B8-6 had an unfortunate incident on a boat side hookup at Monduran at muster time, that instantly went under the boat whilst tied up to a tree, that was totally my fault though. I could have done better to prevent but it all happened so fast and furious.......its in graphite heaven now having a beer with your millerrod.

steve
    No doubt the Egrels are worth looking at ....... when its not much more coin ! Certainly once I'm in Brissy .......... I check em out with a couple of my reels attached!
    I'm pretty well sorted out for my long point casting rod (Loomis BCR855 GLX) ........ so I'll be looking for a heavy tight cover rod which can throw stiffies (Bony bream) & other big HBs. After that .... Another rod to fish plastics & smaller HBs in more open water ....... So a 6 footer & 6'6"er

ahhhh barra tackle

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

No doubt the Egrels are worth looking at ....... when its not much more coin ! Certainly once I'm in Brissy .......... I check em out with a couple of my reels attached!
    I'm pretty well sorted out for my long point casting rod (Loomis BCR855 GLX) ........ so I'll be looking for a heavy tight cover rod which can throw stiffies (Bony bream) & other big HBs. After that .... Another rod to fish plastics & smaller HBs in more open water ....... So a 6 footer & 6'6"er

ahhhh barra tackle

Chris
    Aaaah barra tackle all right....although I have gone off looking for tackle for now.......I'm studying BOATS!!!!!!!. The Mako is going (will be add soon in for sale section!) .....MMMMmmmm what to get though is still a worry. bass boat or dare I say a wheelie bin that is here in town, nice set up........mind wants bass boat.......wife and budget says wheeeeelie bin/tupperware dish/icecream container or whats there real name......polysomething

steve

So matt has pilfered your rod ....... It is a nice stick & something to be proud of! ...... The finish was immaculate
    ........ Now having said that ....... The combo was very heavy IMO & the hastings blank too rigid for my personal liking........ But thats just me

Chris
    make no mistake, its an exta heavy rated rod (12-30lb) and it is designed for large fish with SP's in open water...certainly has never felt rigid with fish in excess of 110 (the going size up until i stopped using it a few months ago)...i'm not sure which reel Matt has paired it with, it was built and balanced with the steez in mind. seeing as every other reel on the market is considerably heavier it can probably have the weight adjusted (removed) at the butt cap

for me now its hard to consider another blank over something from the Hastings lineup, as they have a great track record for preformance and durability due to some unique design properties

my reasoning for placing the rod abover the reel, is that most reels in the mid range price point are more than adequate in performance, both casting and drag, and durability. putting the money into a rod will yield a noticeable gain in response and casting performance, this is more noticeable in spin gear as once the bail arm is open, virtually all spin reels offer the same casting performance

plenty of different ideas and choices which is good to see

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    make no mistake, its an exta heavy rated rod (12-30lb) and it is designed for large fish with SP's in open water...certainly has never felt rigid with fish in excess of 110 (the going size up until i stopped using it a few months ago)...i'm not sure which reel Matt has paired it with, it was built and balanced with the steez in mind. seeing as every other reel on the market is considerably heavier it can probably have the weight adjusted (removed) at the butt cap
    That makes sense with the steez (very light reel) ....... I think matt mated it with a chronarch from memory. No doubt that rod would be great to fight a big fish with

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Aaaah barra tackle all right....although I have gone off looking for tackle for now.......I'm studying BOATS!!!!!!!. The Mako is going (will be add soon in for sale section!) .....MMMMmmmm what to get though is still a worry. bass boat or dare I say a wheelie bin that is here in town, nice set up........mind wants bass boat.......wife and budget says wheeeeelie bin/tupperware dish/icecream container or whats there real name......polysomething

steve
    Ahhh what a quandry ........... but do you really want a nally You'll have to live with it !
    A bass boat ....... Why not ....... How often do you use your current boat for other styles of fishing ????
    BUDGET "Killer of man toys"

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

WIFE killer of fishing dreams

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    WIFE killer of fishing dreams
    I wasn't game to put that up Chewy
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

its ok jode doesnt read af... im feeling especially brave. Im never allowed to buy anything

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    its ok jode doesnt read af... im feeling especially brave. Im never allowed to buy anything
    Keep AF for the lads ( with a few exceptions ....... sorry Kim )

sorry to hear that you cant buy anything ......... probably using the gear that your dad passed down to you
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Guys, The Egrell B 85 With a zillion and 50lb Braid,Suffix matrix pro ate the moment, have used fins,nitlon, Daiwa TD sensor. 60lb 10X twisted leader seems to be the minimum.

Have a B 65 with an Alphas and 30lb braid and every time I have cast it these days I end up loosing a metre plus fish.

Much more controll of the big girls in the timber with the heavier gear.

Also use an S 10 with a Caricorn 4500J ,40lb nitlon for softies and points casting.

Cheers

Tod

Quote Originally Posted by jack-n-barra View Post
    Hi Guys, The Egrell B 85 With a zillion and 50lb Braid,Suffix matrix pro ate the moment, have used fins,nitlon, Daiwa TD sensor. 60lb 10X twisted leader seems to be the minimum.

Have a B 65 with an Alphas and 30lb braid and every time I have cast it these days I end up loosing a metre plus fish.

Much more controll of the big girls in the timber with the heavier gear.

Also use an S 10 with a Caricorn 4500J ,40lb nitlon for softies and points casting.

Cheers

Tod

Tod ...... out of curiosity , Why do you think you lost those meter fish because of the Alphas & 30lb braid

I ask this ....... because I cant break 20,30,40 or 50lb braid through any of my baitcasters - I can max out the drag & fish 20lb or 50lb off the one reel. I've lost a number of really good fish this year too ....... but nearly all have been to leader failure (prior to going twisties) , or jig head failure ........ along with the odd spat lure........... So for me the heavier braid is all about abrasion resistance ( but lighter drag pressure means ..... less abrasion anyway)

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO