Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mega Bass Pagani Rods

Re: Mega Bass Pagani Rods

Quote Originally Posted by wheezer View Post
    did i hear you say custom......

Literally laughed out loud.....

There are some things i can get from a custom rod and some things i can’t.

Yes i have given up on the idea of a Megabass spin rod and decided when the time is right to look at 2 x baitcasters. Namely the Elseil and (most likely) Pagani Chaparral.

There is still room for a Wheezer custom spin rod. It all comes down to timing...

If we get a strengthened dollar in the new year or my boss wants to slip me a chrissy bonus - well it’ll be happy days all round.

If not well those Megabass rods will have to wait til another day.

If only i was on the D.O.L.E uncle Kev would have flicked me a grand for Christmas.

Never fear Wheezer ............... Project- MATOMEN VYRENCE is still on track.

Not sure where you are from but charltons have a very select few megabass rods in stock I think they are destroyers though might pay to have a look in there. I am tossing up getting a baby griffon megabass rod for my pixy when I have the money in hand. Feels like a nice light rod perfect imo for a pixy. Haven't yet asked to have a play with it though with the reel on.

Seriously Jim do you really think a yellow reel is going to match the green binding, what were you thinking . So your looking at a couple of baitcasting rods. Given the reels you have i'd be looking at an impoundment bass set up that you can make longer casts around weed edges that could also be used for working schooled fish. Something around 6'6" to 7' that you'd run 8 or 10lb on. To satisfy your infatuation with overpriced japenese hi end tackle the Chaparral looks well suited. In terms of a bang for buck you may want to look at a loomis or a plain old daiwa rod. I'd also be looking for a shorter stronger rod that you could use as a snag basher for both bass and jacks, something around 5'6"-6'. Lighter than a barra rod but still capable of handling a good 3kgs of drag but still soft enough to cast 7-8gram hardbodies. It will probably need to have a slower action or be made from a lower modulus graphite so you don't have to worry about popping it should you have to thumb the spool. I think for this you may want to look at a custom. It seems alot of casting rods are starting to steer towards the longer side as the market becomes ever more impoundment based leaving a hole in the mid weight snag bashing niche. Talking about getting something built the tip insert of my medalist popped the other day, prefect excuse to get it reworked with a different guide lay out that won't tip wrap so much. Either that or i could just get the 2-4kg starlo stick pro .

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    Seriously Jim do you really think a yellow reel is going to match the green binding, what were you thinking . So your looking at a couple of baitcasting rods. Given the reels you have i'd be looking at an impoundment bass set up that you can make longer casts around weed edges that could also be used for working schooled fish. Something around 6'6" to 7' that you'd run 8 or 10lb on. To satisfy your infatuation with overpriced japenese hi end tackle the Chaparral looks well suited. In terms of a bang for buck you may want to look at a loomis or a plain old daiwa rod. I'd also be looking for a shorter stronger rod that you could use as a snag basher for both bass and jacks, something around 5'6"-6'. Lighter than a barra rod but still capable of handling a good 3kgs of drag but still soft enough to cast 7-8gram hardbodies. It will probably need to have a slower action or be made from a lower modulus graphite so you don't have to worry about popping it should you have to thumb the spool. I think for this you may want to look at a custom. It seems alot of casting rods are starting to steer towards the longer side as the market becomes ever more impoundment based leaving a hole in the mid weight snag bashing niche. Talking about getting something built the tip insert of my medalist popped the other day, prefect excuse to get it reworked with a different guide lay out that won't tip wrap so much. Either that or i could just get the 2-4kg starlo stick pro .
    Hey mate i hear what you’re saying regarding the longer rod to hit the weed banks. The two rods i have in mind for impoundment bass are

Chaparall at 6 foot 6 to be used for surface stuff. Jitterbugs, skitter props, anthrax and Sammy type lures.

Elseil at 6 fot 10 for ½oz lipless baits. Smatras. tn 60’s, masks etc. Paired with my steez 100h

As for a snag bashing 6 foot job i already have the B6-6 which i think fits the bill.

Don’t get me started on the starlo stick and i won’t get you started on the Brisbane river whale sighting

Jim