Thread: Peter Faust Dam Christmas - New Year

Peter Faust Dam Christmas - New Year

Hi All,

Me and a few other famiies are heading north the Conway Beach / Proserpine River / Peter Faust Dam for Christmas - New Years.

I have never been to Peter Faust and was wondering if ski tubibng is permitted and is it easily accessible. Ski tubing on the Prossie River is definitely out.

We will more than likely drop a few red claw traps in the dam and troll for Barramundi. We are aware we require permits to fish the dam.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers

Mark.

Re: Peter Faust Dam Christmas - New Year

Madman ..... live a little

Ski tubing on the Prossie Then after that you could play dodge the semi on the Bruce Hwy

Seriously ...... just arm yourself with some lures that will dive to 20 ft + & troll the main basin ...... looking for bait schools.

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
    Hi All,

Me and a few other famiies are heading north the Conway Beach / Proserpine River / Peter Faust Dam for Christmas - New Years.

I have never been to Peter Faust and was wondering if ski tubibng is permitted and is it easily accessible. Ski tubing on the Prossie River is definitely out.

We will more than likely drop a few red claw traps in the dam and troll for Barramundi. We are aware we require permits to fish the dam.

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers

Mark.
    No problems, Mark, just don't try it in the Prossie River...
    Try trolling in the main basin after dark, using a 20+ on one side and a 12+ on the other side. My son and I did this and got two double hook-ups; all 4 barra going over the magic metre.
    Of course, you can do this on Kinchant as well...

Thanks Bob and Chris,

What magic lure will do the damage.?

Chris, i was doing a bit of a surf on good olg Google and noticed you may have had a crack @ the Prossie Rives a year or so back. How did you get on and did you get offshore at all.

Cheers

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
    Thanks Bob and Chris,

What magic lure will do the damage.?

Chris, i was doing a bit of a surf on good olg Google and noticed you may have had a crack @ the Prossie Rives a year or so back. How did you get on and did you get offshore at all.

Cheers

Mark
    Mark ...

Unfortunately never got to fish the prossi ......... PM OBI_WAN .... he's the man

I personally dont do any serious trolling ....... but lures that seem to work (discussed) are 20+ Vipers (eeeek!! ) , Killalure River Rats & barra baits , Lively Mad mullets , Classic F18 Manta Rays & 120s ...... + Scorpion Deeps & Crazy Deeps ......... will all cover that water between 12 & 25 feet

Use your sounder to find the bait ..... & hopefully a few fish arches

Chris

PS ..... dont ignore trolling near the timber - but invest in a good lure retriever
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Mark ...

Unfortunately never got to fish the prossi ......... PM OBI_WAN .... he's the man

I personally dont do any serious trolling ....... but lures that seem to work (discussed) are 20+ Vipers (eeeek!! ) , Killalure River Rats & barra baits , Lively Mad mullets , Classic F18 Manta Rays & 120s ...... + Scorpion Deeps & Crazy Deeps ......... will all cover that water between 12 & 25 feet

Use your sounder to find the bait ..... & hopefully a few fish arches

Chris

PS ..... dont ignore trolling near the timber - but invest in a good lure retriever
    Good lures, Chris. Most of my big girles have been caught using the silver 12+ viper and 20+ barrabait (elton John ) all trolling. In the weed beds I have been catching barra with the short Reidy's B52 in gold, all casting...

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post
    Good lures, Chris. Most of my big girles have been caught using the silver 12+ viper and 20+ barrabait (elton John ) all trolling. In the weed beds I have been catching barra with the short Reidy's B52 in gold, all casting...
    Good point on the weed beds Bobby ........
    Personally I would be suggesting (am suggesting) ....... early morning (prior to sunrise) ...... slowly motor over to the main point opposite the boat ramp - carefully lower an anchor 50M or so off the weed edge & lay back on the anchor ..... so you can just cast to it (stay quiet) - Throw some plastics like slick rigs / hollowbellies or as you mentioned shallow running hardboadies like the B52 / bomber / stiify twitch bait - or even poppers - - - - This type of fishing kicks butt & will get the juices flowing if the barra are on the game ...... Its not a difficult way to fish ( you dont need a leccy) ...... but it can be productive
    There is nothing like the hit when a big barra nails a cast lure

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

What I have been doing in the weeds (Kinchant) is to drift along the weed beds and, if the wind puhes the tinny into the weeds, ok. Look for the edges of weed patches and cast along the edges; no need to cast to the other side of the dam, a cast of 15 ft can produce a fish.
    Note the weed beds.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyJ123 View Post
    What I have been doing in the weeds (Kinchant) is to drift along the weed beds and, if the wind puhes the tinny into the weeds, ok. Look for the edges of weed patches and cast along the edges; no need to cast to the other side of the dam, a cast of 15 ft can produce a fish.
    Note the weed beds.

Those broken weed beds & laneways are crackers at Kinchant ......... Cant wait to have another go at the place

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Madman1
    PM sent mate--------- Good Luck.

Cheers,
    John.